Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD Exhaust Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Well as things happened this got postponed for a while but we finally got parts and put it in. To make it work we had to order a kit from BD that included an adapter that bolted to the back of the turbo, a V clamp to attach the butterfly valve to the new addapter, and a gasket. We found that his dad was missing the switch that mounts to the accelerator that shuts the brake off when the coal is poured to it. But luckily enough a guy at his work had the electronic controller from BD so we hooked it up got everything wired according to the directions but when we started it up it did not work. The control modul from BD would Click but the brake would not engage.

So my questions are:

where BD says to hook into the TPS it says it is the Light Blue and Black Wire, Is this the blue wire with the black tracer?

It says to tap into a switched 12v wire. What wire has worked best for those with this kit.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maverick2001
Well as things happened this got postponed for a while but we finally got parts and put it in. To make it work we had to order a kit from BD that included an adapter that bolted to the back of the turbo, a V clamp to attach the butterfly valve to the new addapter, and a gasket. We found that his dad was missing the switch that mounts to the accelerator that shuts the brake off when the coal is poured to it. But luckily enough a guy at his work had the electronic controller from BD so we hooked it up got everything wired according to the directions but when we started it up it did not work. The control modul from BD would Click but the brake would not engage.

So my questions are:

where BD says to hook into the TPS it says it is the Light Blue and Black Wire, Is this the blue wire with the black tracer?

It says to tap into a switched 12v wire. What wire has worked best for those with this kit.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
The TPS is going to be a light blue wire with black tracer. It will have a voltage of .5 volts with the key on and as you press the throttle down that voltage will climb to about 4 volts.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homestead
The electronics are for the auto trucks if I'm not mistaken. <y 6spd has zero electronics other than the power on/off switch. The brake itself should be vacuum operated through a solenoid that gets it's power from the on/off switch.

I may be wrong, I'm just going by my own truck.

Jeff
On mine, it did have the electronics. There is a little brain that gets put under the dash and has to be adjusted. If I remember correctly it pirates the apps voltage to control the brake. The toggle just enables it to function. This way the apps will kick the brake off if you touch the throttle.

There is a solenoid operated vac valve that controls the brake, but upstream it is controlled by the little brain. Further upstream of the brain is the apps. I am assuming that the reason it needs to be adjusted is because of manufacturing variations in the apps which the ecm adjusts to. I *think* that's why you have to teach the ecm to use a new apps.

If your little brain is clicking, maybe it needs the adjustment. I thought I did it according to the instructions when I installed mine, but it didn't work right. Can't remember what the "issue" was, it was a long time ago. But if I remember correctly the way I adjusted it was to turn the brake on, and dial in the brain to *just* turn on with the engine idling while off the throttle.

This might not be right for your setup, though. Not sure I follow how it's set up.

BTW one handy thing to know is that the BD 2low kit uses the same actuator, and mine came with spare longer screws that allowed me to sandwich the two valves on my intake elbow mount for the brake. Very thoughtful touch.