Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Banks Products

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybird1x
But should they warrant a transmission that is carrying a greater load than it was designed for?
Nope, and I didn't mean to imply that. I'm a big boy - if I crank it up and break it, I pay for it. My point was, however, that Banks was advertising that an individual could BOMB his/her truck with Banks products without affecting the factory warranty. We all know that such isn't the case.
Originally Posted by jaybird1x
I think Banks is wrong if they say that there are not going to be warranty hassles with adding power enhancements to a truck.
I agree completely.

Rusty
Old 02-07-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John P, excellent post, thanks.

I watched Gale on extreme 4x4 tv install some stuff on a dmax. I thought he had a horrible attitude and that put a bad taste in my mouth for his products. I didn't realize he is a theif and a liar!

EDIT: Who one the drag race?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
yarddog:

You are very welcome!

You asked about who won the race at the 2003 "ATS Truckfest" between the Banks Sidewinder and Scott Bentz's Diesel Rail Dragster. The Bentz Diesel Rail Dragster KILLED that Banks Truck!!! They raced the full quarter mile and as I recall the Bentz Rail went through the traps in the mid 9's and the Banks Sidewinder was around 12 flat. The race wasn't even close!

Heck,.....my little old 2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve with nothing real special can run a 12.9 in the quarter mile!! That Banks Sidewinder truck couldn't even keep up with ANY of the DHRA Pro Street Trucks!

--------
John_P
Old 02-08-2006, 08:31 AM

Banks

1. You are right...you can do better for the $$$. I bought the GitKit, which is
the "towing" ottomind box and 4" exhaust....makes 65hp and 145 pf tq (they
claim). Also got the BanksBrake w/"SmartLoc" controller.
2. Bought Banks cause I believed the bs about all the protection features
built in to prevent tranny damage, etc. Never bought-in to the warrantee bs,
bought too many trucks/cars and had too many beefs w/dealers, etc.
3. First trip w/new set-up puked my 47re the 2nd day of a 2 month trip @43k
miles on truck. All I could get out of Banks was a different box after I sent mine back to make sure it wasn't messed up. When I started making noise
about reimbursement for my tranny (3k) they stonewalled me.
4. Having said all that, and after research after trip I found I had a rebuilt
pos 47re, so we had Dave Goerend fix that with a triple tc and upgraded vb.

Now, Banks has the best install instructions I've seen, and the truck performed as advertized. My 5er weighs 9,200 empty and prolly 12k loaded,
and that goat strained its guts out prior to the mods. Now she hardly downshifts and fuel mileage was slightly better.

Would I do it again? Noway. Too many other products out there, but I was
too lazy to look before. My experience on my trip made me do the research.
Now I have gauges, mag-hitec dd pan, full fass and a relocated breather
bottle thanks to all you folks, next up: rv275's, then leave well enough alone.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by yarddog
I thought he had a horrible attitude and that put a bad taste in my mouth for his products.
I feel the same way. I have never been real fond of Bank$, but after the colum he contributer to the original issue of Diesel Power mag, and his self rightous, competition bashing, attitude, I will NEVER buy one of his products.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

displacedtexan:

You brought up a very good point about his articles in "Diesel Power Magazine." It looks like he is a "contributing writer" for them now. He LOVES to "bash" Edge Products too! In his latest advertisement running in most of the magazines he's in, there is a full page ad comparing his new "Banks PowerPDA" to the Edge Attitude! The trouble with that is,......he is comparing the OLDER MODEL,.....NOT the newer one Edge just released!! Same old story,................just as I posted above!! I would like to see his Banks Sidewinder LSR run a drag race against the Edge "Wolverine" Truck!! But,.....you know what?? I can almost guarantee that his answer or the answer of his subordinates would be; "That's not a fair race, our Banks Sidewinder was designed to run the LSR, not to drag race!"

-------
John_P
Old 02-08-2006, 11:13 PM

looks like mr.banks isnt as honest as he should be,that always catches up with you in the end.ive got his 4" exh. is the muffler any good or is there something else i should be using.thanks for all your replys,lots of good info.....
Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Banned

You should be using a piece of pipe
Old 02-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

BAGGERMAN:

Believe it or not,........shortly after buying my 1996 Dodge CTD, I let a friend of mine in Texas talk me into buying Banks' "Cat-Back" four (4) inch exhaust system for the truck. (This was back before I knew better! ).

Anyway,.....it did alright, but after running it for about six (6) months I went to a "full 4" exhaust, from the turbo all the way back. I eliminated the "cat" and went with a Walker #21471 Muffler. I think that muffler sounded better than the Banks Muffler, but,......I am biased too! I run a full "straight pipe" system on my 1996 now though. With all the fuel and air I am running in the 96' it seems to run cooler without a muffler on it. It is louder, but not too bad.

-------
John_P
Old 02-09-2006, 06:21 PM

I agree with performance per dollar being out of wack compared to others. Out 97 has the full "POWER PACK" the previous owner paid nearly $3K for including install. It does perform ok. But I could get 300HP (previous owner DYNO) for a lot less.

Also, The exhaust system mount in there so the tip angles up. I've try to rotate it down and the bends won't let it. There is another 97 in our complex that has the same issues.

I think Banks is good for people that have not done any research. someone that wants to just say make it so, yet still think they have a clue as to what it is. Some poeple look at the pictures and see all the parts and think "WOW, that has to be great.

Randy
Old 02-09-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newriverSpecon
I agree with performance per dollar being out of wack compared to others. Out 97 has the full "POWER PACK" the previous owner paid nearly $3K for including install. It does perform ok. But I could get 300HP (previous owner DYNO) for a lot less.

Also, The exhaust system mount in there so the tip angles up. I've try to rotate it down and the bends won't let it. There is another 97 in our complex that has the same issues.

I think Banks is good for people that have not done any research. someone that wants to just say make it so, yet still think they have a clue as to what it is. Some poeple look at the pictures and see all the parts and think "WOW, that has to be great.

Randy
My thoughts exactly

Only gauges are left in mine, and 14cm exhaust housing.. other than that, nothing...

Tx
Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM

The guys in my area where i live all have Banks powered up Duramaxs and i walk everyone one of them all day long. So many people have Banks on there truck around my area because the only aftermarket "speed shop" we have only sells Banks Crap. The best thing about Banks is their stickers, i like the way they look
Old 02-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Administrator

newriverSpecon:

You brought up some good valid points in your post! I admit, their full color ads are appealing,......I will give them that! And, over the last five years or so, I have found that the people that are generally buying Banks Products are those that are really "uninformed" about what other manafacturers are really offering out there to help them make big power,.....such as TST, Edge, Bullydog, Blue Chip to name a few. Banks' big ads are in almost all of the major truck, RV and trade magazines, journals etc. To add to that,... old Gale himself is on practically EVERY truck T.V. show "plugging" his products and telling everybody how much power his products make on the diesels. I think I can "safely" say Banks probably spends more on advertising that any of the other companies I have listed and in this country it seems to sell product.

-------
John_P
Old 02-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
My thoughts exactly

Only gauges are left in mine, and 14cm exhaust housing.. other than that, nothing...

Tx
Thats something else. I HATE THE GUAGES AND POD! They are in the way, look crappy and the pyro-gauge itself maybe taking a crap. We where driving down a pot holed asphalt road and it has been flaky since. It is in the pod and might be wiring but haven' looked yet.

Randy
Old 02-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by BAGGERMAN
looks like mr.banks isnt as honest as he should be,that always catches up with you in the end.ive got his 4" exh. is the muffler any good or is there something else i should be using.thanks for all your replys,lots of good info.....
If memory serves, Banks is/was rebadged Magnaflow.

Originally Posted by CTD2001
The guys in my area where i live all have Banks powered up Duramaxs and i walk everyone one of them all day long. So many people have Banks on there truck around my area because the only aftermarket "speed shop" we have only sells Banks Crap. The best thing about Banks is their stickers, i like the way they look
Local (to me) diesel shop dropped Banks due to mediocre performance gains and HORRIBLE customer service. Horrible customer service to a user is often justified, but to a dealer is unforgivable.

Originally Posted by John_P
... I have found that the people that are generally buying Banks Products are those that are really "uninformed" about what other manafacturers are really offering out there to help them make big power,..... Banks' big ads are in almost all of the major truck, RV and trade magazines, journals etc. ...
You forgot the horse crowd.

Banks is one of many Copy Cat vendors out there.

Quick Reply: Banks Products