Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Banks Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Performance

I have just purchased a banks powerpak for my 2000 Ram 2500. It seems to perform better than stock but while pulling my 24 ft enclosed trailer up the grapevine in California it does not perform as well as I thought it should. The maxium boost was 22.With the camper the truck is pulling app. 10,000 pounds. I am hoping that someone out there can tell me that perhaps there is something I can check and in fact this kit is all that the advertising promised. I am new and this is my first posting.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I took my Banks controler and chucked it in the trash I now have a much more responsive and better puller with 38 psi boost and I can co over the grapevine with a 23K gvw at 60mph and the cruise control set banks electronic dont deliver.MY .02
Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 PM

Banks sucks...worst on the market. I'd get rid of it ASAP. The only way to get more power out of it is to get rid of it and start over. Do your RESEARCH and don't belive BANKS....
Old 02-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Banks makes good stuff, but they keep everything on the conservative side(power wise), and they charge a lot for it. What you need to look into is something like the smarty downloader. How many HP is you banks kit rated, and what all did it come with(a link may be helpful)? The Smarty should be able to stack with whatever the box you have from banks is, and I would think should wake it up quite a bit.

Eric
Old 03-01-2006, 04:50 PM

A little more info about your truck and also what was included in the kit you bought might help figures something out
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have yet to hear any "raving" reviews of a banks product. Not that they can't or don't make quality stuff, there just seems to be so much more to choose from
OTHER than Banks for the Cummins.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM

Welcome to the site!

FWIW

I originally bought the Powerpack system that included the ottomind electronic controller (note this taps the wire to the VP44), gauges, 4" exhaust, quick turbo turbine housing and wastegate actuator etc.

With the above items and stock injectors I could hit 30psi.

Then without adjusting the wastegate I added RV275s and could hit 32+.

Now (TST, Smarty & EDM 2's) it hits almost 40psi still without adjusting the wastegate.

The only Banks Equipment I still have is the quick turbo housing and the 4" exhaust.

I am not sure what my wastegate was set at when it came from Banks but it had to be much more than 22psi.

Note: I believe the Ottomind adds timing you would want to be sure of this before stacking boxes.

Good luck,

George
Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 PM

Well I have dyno data to prove my dislike for Banks. With 115 hp sticks, Banks Power Pack, and a upgraded to level-5 ottomind, I dyno'ed a measly 332/782 All I have left are the intake manifold and some of the 4" exhaust.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:55 AM

I've got some banks... I don't like their boxes because there is too much tapping and splicing going on (as apposed to oem plugs or prom flash). I don't perceive them to be reliable for this reason, especially when they have you tap the IP wire. I've got an ottomind box with a new wire kit in my garage, but it will be e-bay bound soon.
I think the best product they offer is the banks brake. I like how it can accomodate the 4" exhaust. The only issue being the "BigHead" which is space consuming and a "BigEyeSore". If not used regularly the thing will bind up, but I think this is with most exhaust brakes.

Reliability is #1 for me, with drivability being a close second. I cant afford to break any land speed records "ala sidewinder"... Maybe when I retire
Old 03-02-2006, 11:18 AM

I think the best product they offer is the banks brake. I like how it can accomodate the 4" exhaust. The only issue being the "BigHead" which is space consuming and a "BigEyeSore". If not used regularly the thing will bind up, but I think this is with most exhaust brakes.
Yah I really liked my Banks exhaust brake, but I couldn't use it with the new turbo, so it got sold. Oh and I sold the HX-35 with Banks 14cm housing and "Big-Head". Proceeds went to purchasing components that actual made power.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coalburner400
I've got some banks... I don't like their boxes because there is too much tapping and splicing going on (as apposed to oem plugs or prom flash). I don't perceive them to be reliable for this reason, especially when they have you tap the IP wire. I've got an ottomind box with a new wire kit in my garage, but it will be e-bay bound soon.

Reliability is #1 for me, with drivability being a close second. I cant afford to break any land speed records "ala sidewinder"... Maybe when I retire
The only time mine gets turned off is for cool downs. But, I turn the switch back on as soon as I kill the motor.

Banks sucks. I wished that there was more product availibility when I made my purchase. Like CTD_Neil said, unless you wnat to get a new exhaust brake, you are very limited on turbo upgrades. I do like the 4" stainless exhaust though. I also agree with statements in other threads about Gale's holier than thou attitude.

I know it has been said many, many times that you can do way better for less money if you shop and compare.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:38 AM

After reading this post i find myself questioning if I have stock injectors. My truck was equipped with the banks powerpack when i purchased it. During a trip to fla. I pulled a 24ft enclosed trailer and saw 38psi of boost any time i gave it just a little extra fuel. Even unloaded i can pull 34-35psi if im on it. Do you think my injectors have been changed also? I take it there is no way of telling with out removing them. My boost numbers seem significantly higher than those who have the same system.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhoCares79
After reading this post i find myself questioning if I have stock injectors. My truck was equipped with the banks powerpack when i purchased it. During a trip to fla. I pulled a 24ft enclosed trailer and saw 38psi of boost any time i gave it just a little extra fuel. Even unloaded i can pull 34-35psi if im on it. Do you think my injectors have been changed also? I take it there is no way of telling with out removing them. My boost numbers seem significantly higher than those who have the same system.
No its doubtful,I think all that is happening is that the banks kit disabled your wastegate with a j hook or something and the controller is boost fooling.This is the way it should work,but be weary of overspooling that hy turbo,I turnbuckled mine and it was weaker when I hit 40psi than when I hit 20psi.I run a bhaf,5 inch straightpipe,6 inch stacks and an edge drag comp.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gatorman92108
I have just purchased a banks powerpak for my 2000 Ram 2500.

I am new and this is my first posting.
if you would have posted before buying banks stuff you probably wouldnt have purchased at BANK$....

i read and have never bought anything from banks except the High Ram air intake, used...cheap... only for the looks. so i dont know anything about banks, but that most people dont like BANK$
Old 05-20-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
Banks makes good stuff, but they keep everything on the conservative side(power wise), and they charge a lot for it. What you need to look into is something like the smarty downloader. How many HP is you banks kit rated, and what all did it come with(a link may be helpful)? The Smarty should be able to stack with whatever the box you have from banks is, and I would think should wake it up quite a bit.

Eric

Eric hit this one right on the head

i HAD full on banks power pack, while it sounds cool, it aint all its cracked up to be, Ive switched out some parts on the cheap end and made MUCH MORE power than with banks stuff, i believe i was at 290 at the wheels or so, right now on a severly fuel limited truck due to clutch and turbo i dyno at 330 rwhp WITHOUT banks parts....

Go elsewhere for power for ur ram, the smarty, edge, and bullydog seem to be the most popular choices for ur ram...

Rick

Quick Reply: Banks Performance