Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Banks Monster Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Monster Exhaust

How does it compare to the Magnaflow? I found a source for ~$400, so right at the same money..maybe even a bit cheaper than Magnaflow.

Which would be your preference and why?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:42 AM

Banks sucks period...Id look into other companies such as MBRP, Rips, MagnaFow, Gibson, etc. The more you learn on this site, the more you will say NO to banks.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:15 AM

I realize that Banks can be overpriced on a $/hp scale...but I've heard good things re: their exhaust...assuming the dollars are similar.

So what exactly "sucks" re: their exhaust? How are the others superior? Strictly attacking the company is useless information.

I've been around diesel trucks for a dozen years...IMHO...Banks never sucked...just with some of the newer players their value diminished.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

I don't care for the sound as much personally...

And after some of the things Gayle has said, I will never give him a penny of my money. I can't stand the arrogant guy.

Since you don't see HP gains from an exhaust upgrade, there is really not a lot of difference from one to the next. Thus the popularity of guys like Rip Rook ( www.sourceautomotive.biz ) that sell exhaust systems for even less.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
And after some of the things Gayle has said, I will never give him a penny of my money. I can't stand the arrogant guy.

i agree with displacedtexan here. ive herd him cuss on tv and a bunch of useless junk like that. It was compleatly unnessary, but he did it anyways. Along with all the other stuff he says. i cant stand him
Old 08-27-2006, 09:55 AM

The monster is nice if you have a banks brake. It mounts right up to the brake's 4" outlet. Other than that, its pretty much a tossup.

As you can see, Banks is not very popular here. I do run some their stuff but I must admit that I don't care for a lot of it.

The exhaust is fine though... Its 403 SS, or whichever the number, the fact is that the exhaust will rust on the surface over time due to the low grade of SS. Its only cosmetic. If you can find it @ or below $400 I'd say that's a good deal - get it.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:02 AM
RJF

The exhaust system is fine itself, but it's the company that no one wants to be affiliated with. Banks sucks because of their eletronics, advertising, and Gale himself. Plus, "Banks" is etched into their muffler and tip, You couldn't pay me to touch that name with even your truck...
Old 08-27-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
everyone likes to bash Banks, but they have a good product and are safe, down side is $$$ .if you can find an exhaust system at a good price you wont have any problems with the install. as far as there fueling boxes go you can find other manufactures that make more power cheeper
Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 PM

QUOTE]
I agree ,especially when some of his stuff has been ripped from others ,the guy's a goof and is quickly reminding me of boyd coddington.The brake is the only thing I would ever consider and with other options like BD and Pac I would have to go the other way.Just look around this site,see if anyone has been totally blown away from the results after installing one of his items.I seriously doubt it
Old 08-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
I don't care for the sound as much personally...

Since you don't see HP gains from an exhaust upgrade, there is really not a lot of difference from one to the next. Thus the popularity of guys like Rip Rook ( www.sourceautomotive.biz ) that sell exhaust systems for even less.

I agree here

My truck started with a banks power pack (exhaust, gauges, plate, 14 cm exhaust housing) and whatever came with it in 1998 or so.. Right now the only thing left banks on that truck is the 14 cm exhaust housing, the rest of the stuff wasnt anywhere near as effective as some of the more recent (less expensive) mods that i have done to the truck. Hey my truck came with the banks, but thanks to DTR i saw the light...

dont get me wrong tho, if u want safe within reason, or security for ur truck per say, Banks might be the way to go, they arent bad products, just u can do more to ur truck for less money...

Rick
Old 08-27-2006, 06:54 PM

If you do your homework, buying an exhaust system is rather easy. Choose three or four name brands, compare apples to apples, compare prices, and then purchase. I for one, like Banks. I did my homework, knew exactly what I wanted AND needed, purchased their mandrel bent 304 stainless steel four inch exhaust system, sold back to them the muffler it came with, purchased a length of like stainless steel to complete the system, and vola`, a complete system I'm perfectly happy with. I'd buy for them again.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Banks products for the buyer whom wants to install a ready-to-go package, and NOT get wrapped up in both investigating compatibility and installation. There are people whom do not have the desire or time to do so and have the money to buy mass produced packages. Bugger for them; I'm just not one of them.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:07 PM

I have the Banks Power Pack on my 98.5 and so far am happy with it, I did have a problem with their "Ottomind" black box, returned it to them and they replaced it, I paid shipping only........that is always good to have a company do that !!
I originally had a full banks system in my motor home with a Ford 460, and what a difference it made with that engine !!!
I may have been able to do better when I added it to my Cummins.but I haven't had any complaints, works as advertised.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

I will not argue that Banks does not do what they say. They are good products, if (IMHO) overpriced...

My biggest problem with the company, is the guy that owns it. I will not support him. Read his editorial in the first issue of Diesel Power magizine. He calls me a name I can't use on DTR. He is arrogant, and concieted.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:21 PM

He calls you personally a name?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kemble
He calls you personally a name?
Anyone that likes black smoke.

That would include me

Quick Reply: Banks Monster Exhaust