Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Banks Common Rail Upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Common Rail Upgrades??

Shouldn't there be a seperate upgrade section for each model year grouping???<br><br>Anyway, That Banks Sidewinder project truck uses a Cummins common rail. It was delivered from Cummins producing 393 HP, so my first question, What did Cummins do for that and how might we get it? Looks like a Holset HX40 Turbo and what else???<br><br>More importantly, Banks obviously spent a lot of time and money producing this test vehicle. They came up with special custom intake manifold, exhaust manifold, HY55 VGT Turbo (including custom turbo control electronics.) amoung other things. I sure hope they plan on offering these upgrades for the new '03 motors being sold to the public! I'd really love to have that variable geometery turbo with custom electronics, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold. I think those three things alone would equate to some ungodly numbers with a vehicle that's still 100% streetable and getting good gas mileage.<br><br>So what is the deal, does anyone think we'll see these for sale?<br><br>Any other companies working on VGTs?
Old 02-09-2003, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Banks Common Rail Upgrades??

I personally don't know of any VGT is being offered by any one right now, but if so, I bet it will be expensive. The Holset turbo, itself, is over $2k, and the controls will be expensive too. The Holsets need a 100 psi air supply in order to control the exhaust housing. The electrinic control has to be fool proof because the VGTs are very easy to over spool and blowup. I know of two people who've tried them, and both blew their first turbos through inproper controls or lack thereof.<br><br>VGTs can also be used in an exhaust brake &quot;mode&quot; which can justify their cost when compared to a standard turbo and exhaust brake.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:08 AM

The VGT is not for the faint of wallet. I don't think it will ever be offered as a package for any truck (I could be wrong, as I have been before) The Turbo itself is about $2500, then there is the associated plumbing for oil and water, yes it's water cooled. The speed sensor is rated @ 200*C It will not bolt up to a 5.9 exhaust manifold as the exhaust inlet has the same footprint as a HX55 so either a adapter plate or modified manifold is needed. Air pressure needed to control the nozzle is 5bar=73.5psi.
Then there is the electronics : We are still fine tuning the parameters. Inputs needed are, engine RPM, turbo shaft RPM, boost, throttle positon, exhaust backpressure and others. this has been the most difficult part of the turbo and yes I blew one up while testing it's parameters, over 50#s boost and 190k turbo RPM. Shaft speed is rated @ 130K.

The VGT will not work as an exhaust brake on the 5.9. there just isn't enough CI displacement .
Dean
Old 02-10-2003, 08:48 PM

I didn't realize the VGT turbo alone is $2500. That price will have to come way down when it's factory installed (like the new Ford 6.0) I'm assuming. <br><br>Even so it could be cheaper than bolting on a supercharger for a gasser motor. I would think if the total package was in the $1500 range it would have a decent market.