Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Backup/Reverse Light Brighter Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Backup/Reverse Light Brighter Bulbs

Does anyone know where to get a brighter replacement bulb for the backup/reverse light?
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:15 PM

Back up lights.

Not off hand. I have blacked out windows and can't see jack when backing up so added 4" lamps under the rear bumper.This brightend things up a lot. you can turn them on with a relay
wired off your back up light circuit or a toggle swith on the dash if you like.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Banned

I got a set of $20 lights from wal-mart and mounted them to my bumper. Wired them to come on with the back up lights or through a switch. Makes a world of difference.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
JR2

You can find higher wattage bulbs at just about any autoparts store, but I would not run them. You run the risk of melting some wiring or the lenses on the tail lights. The cheap solution is to go buy a couple $5 rubber tractor lights and mount them under the back bumper, power them via a relay triggered by the stock backup lights.

Or if you want to spend some more $$ you can get a set of White Knight back up lights. They come in a housing that mounts on your reciver hitch. All you do is run a wire to the battery and tap into the back up light wire for your stock lights. They have a relay in them and a switch so you can turn them on any time. Do a search for White Knight Backup lights on google and you will find them. I know Genosgarage.com sells them. I would also add that the guys who build them will back them up if you have problems with them. One of the lenses fell out of mine and they sent me two brand new lights, no questions asked.

JR2
Old 12-16-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had these from JC Whitney in both my trucks since they were almost new. Work great, but I'm not in the habit of backing up for five miles. Guys at Napa said they quit carrying them because of melted lenses. Use common sense and you'll be ok.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...p-7837/c-10101
Old 12-17-2004, 12:48 AM

you may possibly be able to get some high intensity LED bulbs for the factory lamps. These bulbs do not use as much power, but their directional light may be helpful. look around because different companies make LEDs at different intensities and directional patterns. That may be something to help you out.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have super bright white LEDs for reverse lites and I still couldn't see anything, most likely cause my tints are too dark but I hooked up 2 fog lites under the bumper with a relay to the reverse lites, works great
Old 12-17-2004, 09:07 AM

I also have connected up some fog lights to my back of the truck (mounted to my cap pointing down) . The great thing about that is you can sit in the drivers seat and have someone adjust them for you so you can have them point exactly where you want them. Fog lights are better (white ones) because they give off a broad beam compared to a driving light. Once you have done this, backup lights just don't cut it anymore. Super for plowing as it cuts through the snow falling. I have mine on a separate switch.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:13 PM

Can you use the 12v supply wire going to the trailer plug to get the power. I think it is hooked to a 40 amp fuse up front.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:31 PM

You can get brighter/higher wattage bulbs from Pep Boys, Kragen/Schucks, Autozone, Napa, Carquest, etc. They just plug in.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gwhammy
Can you use the 12v supply wire going to the trailer plug to get the power. I think it is hooked to a 40 amp fuse up front.
Yeah, a lot of people do that. I ran a big wire straight up to the battery for mine so I could power the tractor lights and a waterproof stainless steel 12v power point I'm planning on installing in the bumper.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:32 PM

I just put up a pic in my gallery shows were i mounted my back up lights i use a switch on the dash to turn them on.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:57 PM

What ever you do DO NOT waste your $ on this junk. I did, they were worse than stock. They said they would refund my $. They never did, I even sent them the bulbs back. RIPOFF
Old 12-18-2004, 08:00 PM

Got carried away forgot to say click on the word RIPOFF
Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM

The law

Hear in Virginia, it is illegal to have any light uncovered on the rear that is anything but standard incadescent. If it is halogen or anything else it has to be covered. The state inspection guy told me about this as I have added a pair or halogen fog lights to the rear and run them off of the back up wire to come on when in reverse. I told him that I didn't thinkl that I could get it into reverse going 70mph down the road but it makes no difference. Looks great but cover them when getting inspected. State police might have an issue though. Don't know about all of the rest of the states laws.

Quick Reply: Backup/Reverse Light Brighter Bulbs