Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Backup Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wgingg, I like yours setup. Did you have a knockout that shape, or did you cut it w/jig saw or something like that?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Personally I wish it were against the law to change to brighter lights. Kids run around with fogs on with low beam as well as high. Anything to be noticed, think they got pulled off the nipple to early. And somebody help me out, what's the deal with kids driving around at night with the Cargo light on?

Cheers,
OTRPU
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 AM

OTP............We're just to old. That beam thing will really **** you off.

And I wouldn't waste my time installing the backup lights in the rear bumper, knowing how flimsey it is. Look good but I would wait for an after market one that would withstand a lick.

..Preston..
Old 10-29-2005, 01:30 PM

http://www.phildorsett.com/backuplights.html
Old 10-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Phil, those look great!! I may try to find those for myself.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:49 PM

Ditto Phil... ..The wiring diagram is great too,
Old 10-29-2005, 07:33 PM

Hey Phil,

I used those same lights when I stripped the rusted bed off of my toyota and built an aluminum flat bed for it.. Loved them.. They worked flawlessly for years... I also used the same lights as wgingg for the brakes. They also were great.. Never had a problem with people seeing me or me seeing anything behind me when I needed to.. Wish I would have thought to wire in a switch to turn on the lights when I needed. Will have to look into doing the same with my CTD...
Old 10-29-2005, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys. I still haven't wired a switch to that relay though.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:03 AM

Well I would also like to put some super bright backup lights on my truck because I have tinted windows and at night the backup lights don’t do anything for me. Is there a super bright bulb that I can replace it with or do I need to mount some other lights on there?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:38 AM

The AutoZone lights I used are sealed, so you can't change the bulbs at all.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:51 AM

Well I meant the OEM tail lights. I would like to know if there’s a brighter bulb to put in there. If not then I guess I will have to go to the extra reverse lights.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by running4bhs
Well I meant the OEM tail lights. I would like to know if there’s a brighter bulb to put in there. If not then I guess I will have to go to the extra reverse lights.
Never looked for one, but it's a 3157 if that helps. I doubt that a brighter light in the stock location with that smoked plastic will help much. I've got rubber tractor lights on mine.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:36 AM

hey dojman no i used the grommet to trace the shape of the hole into a cardboard box then cut it out and made sure the light would fit there before i traced to the bumper. i used my die grinder with a cutoff wheel then fine tuned it with a burr
Old 10-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OTR PU
Personally I wish it were against the law to change to brighter lights. Kids run around with fogs on with low beam as well as high. Anything to be noticed, think they got pulled off the nipple to early. And somebody help me out, what's the deal with kids driving around at night with the Cargo light on?

Cheers,
OTRPU
I think the problem is not changing to something brighter, but idiots changing to something brighter.

I came around a bend on a hill a few weeks back with some idiot with 4 roof mounted PIAAs on... almost ran my truck into the ditch because I could not see a freakin thing. Fortunately I knew that stretch of road real well. But the moron never turned the lights off!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 PM

Well that is another reason to keep them low on the truck. I also check the aim of my lights on a regular basis which most people don't do!

My reverse light are hooked in to the stock lights. But I also have a manual over-ride on my stick to allow me to turn them on at night for hooking up trailers.

I've use them to signal drivers behind me of the hi beams but it only a quick on/off pulse.

Also on the manual trans you can bump the reverse light switch by pushing in your clutch and lightly putting into reverse. You will see them light up. But I'm not suppose to tell you guys these things...

Quick Reply: Backup Lights...