Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Backup Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup Lights...

I got one for you guys out there...

Most of us have been mounting our backup lights on the rear bumpers. Well I finally found out why NOT to mount them on the bumper. Of all the rocks in a yard this one found the driver side light under the bump and broke the glass...

Here is a picture of before the mod...

Take notice to where the lights are hanging off the rear bumper... Good but not good enough...

Here some pics after the mod...

Backup Lights ON!

Showing placement...

Matter of fact they light up just as good as with them on the bumber! They are guarded by the sway bar and the axle tube so I really got to run some thing over to break these!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:32 AM

My only question is how well are they going to stand up to the pounding that the axle is going to give them? On the body there is some 'shock absorbing done through the tires, springs, etc.
Tom
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 AM

The bulbs are mounted in rubber housings...

I've got a second set of bulbs sittng here... Also The bulbs will not be on while going foreward so the filament should last awhile...

No worse that mounting them to a old farm tractor or a backhoe I guess...

We'll just have to see how long the bulbs last...
Old 05-13-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mopar1973man
The bulbs are mounted in rubber housings..

No worse that mounting them to a old farm tractor or a backhoe I guess...

We'll just have to see how long the bulbs last...
I like them where they are mounted. You'll have to keep us posted as to how they hold up.

Comparing the way you have them mounted to having them mounted on a farm tractor or backhoe is neither here nor there because neither of those vehicles will be traversing paved roads (complete with potholes and such) at 65mph.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by NOSPIN4ME
I like them where they are mounted. You'll have to keep us posted as to how they hold up.

Comparing the way you have them mounted to having them mounted on a farm tractor or backhoe is neither here nor there because neither of those vehicles will be traversing paved roads (complete with potholes and such) at 65mph.
True... I think a backhoe takes a lot of jarring and bouncing too... But I understand the idea of the shock of the axle hitting pot holes. I think more damaging to the bulbs if the filament were hot (turn on)... In comparsion to a cold filament (turn off) which I think will take more abuse...

Well just have to wait and see...

The two lights cost me a whole $24.00 bucks... Like it hurts my feelings... I sure won't want to mount of KC's or PIAA under there!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've read, incandescent bulb filaments are more susceptible to vibration when the lamp is turned off than when it's on. The reason being the filament is less flexible when cold (turned off) and more so when it's hot, hence the greater likelyhood of breaking a filiment when the light is not on. Just the same, it will be interesting to hear how your fare in their new location.

Steve
Old 05-13-2005, 03:34 PM

I use to mount little WHITE fog lights to the frame in the back. Being fog lights, they would give off a nice wide angle and white would shine better then the typical yellow color. I would then sit in the driver's seat and have my brother adjust them when I looked in the mirrors. They lasted for 3 years without a problem and would shine about 3 - 10 feet behind the tires. It was great for plowing besides backing up. And being tucked way up on the frame, nothing ever got to them while driving.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM

this is what i did last night to my bumper

Old 05-13-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by wgingg
this is what i did last night to my bumper

Willie are those LEDs?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 PM

I would think being mounted to the axle like that you not only have the possible burnout but also all the dirt that gets sprayed up when it rains.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:42 AM

I think you will find out very quickly that up on the frame would be much better ill give you about 2-3 weeks between the pounding they are going to get and the dirt from wet roads if they do survive plus no fun getting down there to clean them good luck time will tell
Old 05-14-2005, 09:01 AM

no they are cheapos but if i dont like them the leds fit in the same grommet. i havent wired em yet, maybe today after i paint the shop
Old 05-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by rattlerbob5.9
I think you will find out very quickly that up on the frame would be much better ill give you about 2-3 weeks between the pounding they are going to get and the dirt from wet roads if they do survive plus no fun getting down there to clean them good luck time will tell
My problem is that I live in a area that has a lot of dirt roads and debris. The ones hanging off the bumper got smash on a rock trying to turn around in a tight spot...

I'm trying to find a spot to mount them that will protect them from debris. I tried the frame idea and the beam path is very short. (Can't see any thing out the mirror. The tow bar block a good part of it.

If I move back the springs are in the way. But the beam path is better. I though about building a bracket to drop them but now they un-protected again... Rock, logs, etc...

So I figured I would try the axle... So far they light up great at night! The beam is over 100 FEET! Behind me.

The light buckets are rubber... The are fairly soft as well... So it might protect from blow out the bulbs.

As for washing... Not a problem... I washing the engine are the underside of the truck every weekend. I do have some serious water pressure here 180 PSI from a hose tap. Irragation system from a dam 1/4 mile up the mountain! Now hook that up to a high pressure washer! LOL! I can clean the underside of my truck without laying on the ground!

As for the people that think I'm nutz... Well you never find out if you can design something new unless you try some weird ideas...

So far I've got 200 miles on them with rough dirt roads and both light up yet!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MnTom
My only question is how well are they going to stand up to the pounding that the axle is going to give them? On the body there is some 'shock absorbing done through the tires, springs, etc.
Tom
So far I've got 20K miles on my backup lights mounted on the rear-end. I've never blown a bulb yet and believe it or not they don't get to dirty down there. So for all you that though the bulbs weren't going to hold up to the shock and pounding of the axle... I'm proof of it!

I'll keep you guys updated!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
So far I've got 200 miles on them with rough dirt roads and both light up yet!
Looks good. I bet they will be fine there.

Quick Reply: Backup Lights...