Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

B1 turbo info/specs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THC

You asked about "different variations" of B-1.

Lots of info in search files...or check 12th response to this thread
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=45038

Also a Big Brother & a B-2 not mentioned there - mostly for twins.
RJ
Old 06-25-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod, those are all very balid and well thought out arguments. You put forth at the very least reasonable and rational explainations to everything.

As someone who has done R&D for many products, in automotive not deisel, the only one Ive ever seen getting the benefit with money is the maker, not the guys that did the r&d. I hope Ken is not offened by my comments nor you. As they say, imitation is the best form of flattery. In the end, the B1 will be modified and changed, the next newer thing will come out, if another maker does it and Ken uses those mods to make his turbo better.....then its the same....maybe he wont , maybe he did to come up with the b1, maybe there is enough business for everyone. Im sure reputation and service sells a lot more then turbo specs that most people don t understand or care about anyways.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:45 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by 1320
1) I hope Ken is not offened by my comments nor you.

2) In the end, the B1 will be modified and changed, the next newer thing will come out, if another maker does it and Ken uses those mods to make his turbo better.....then its the same....maybe he wont , maybe he did to come up with the b1, maybe there is enough business for everyone.

3) Im sure reputation and service sells a lot more then turbo specs that most people don t understand or care about anyways.
1) No offense taken at all. On, my end, none was intended either. From my point of view, it was simply two people debating a point.

2) I don't really have too much of a problem with someone reverse engineering a product, making genuine improvements on it, then retailing it as a different product. And I actually respect the 'do-it-yourselfer' who simply wants to reverse engineer a product, and build it himself for his own truck. Its the exact duplicates, and retailed as the real thing that drives me a little nuts.

3) Definitely. However I am with you on one point: If the maps (if not parts) were better known, it would sure make building twins much easier.

As a side note, of the 4 companies producing B1 knock-offs, let the buyer beware. Only one of the companies has actually duplicated the B1 exactly (or nearly, as far as we can tell) and using the names exactly as Turbo Auto Diesel refers to them (these are the guys who are still buying the occasional B1 from TAD to keep themselves "legit"). The other 3 are using B1 somewhere in the name, however they haven't done a good job of producing the knock off. We've seen smaller shaft sizes, smaller compressors, and turbine wheels that just weren't well suited to the job at hand. These differences are leading to poorer spoolup and/or higher EGTs and/or less compressor side flow. You definitely get what ya pay for.

Rod
Old 06-29-2004, 11:45 PM

It's real simple.....Ken's stuff works! I for one don't run both of his turbos but I do support him, and we'll make more music together in the future!

Rod and Don both have really good points here that you should read again.

Jim
Old 06-30-2004, 04:38 AM

To be honest with you guys...I could piece together a B1, or any other turbo in a matter of hours if I had one in front of me to look at. Even with part numbers removed. Each turbo has it's specific parts, and parts it shares with it's "family".

Anyone with the connections to turbo manufacturers and suppliers, such as myself, can get any part needed to build any turbo. With a lathe or decent "friend" machinist, I can have the part reproduced, other parts made-to-work, or upgraded with ease.

I really don't care about spending money on turbos. I have the connections, I have the knowledge, and I have the ability... I'm only curious what makes a B1...well...a B1.

Also...I don't EVER plan on building one...or even using one. I think after I bolt the HX-35 to my 1st gen, and get some injectors...well, the next stage would be an HX-40 with some custom work done, but I don't really want much more than that.

I just see so many people saying good things about the B1 turbos, and how much they like them, I'm just wondering what the B1 is, in turbo terms.

I didn't mean to start an argument, or a long thread, haha...sorry!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:53 AM

I dont know what goes in it...but I know this charger works! They are rock solid and are there for the long haul,tow,pull..whatever...

Rick
Old 06-30-2004, 03:16 PM

Rick...that's what I've been hearing/reading...I just think it's too much turbo for the ol farm truck!
Old 06-30-2004, 03:25 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by 12valvesmoker
Hey can anybody tell me if the B1 turbo bolts directly up to the exhaust manifold?
Yes it does. On the 03's its available as a complete replacement, including the proper exhaust outlet. On 02 and unders, its available with an HX40 outlet, or a Schwitzer outlet.

Rod