Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

B-1 installed, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kas...
I can not believe that a off the shelf B1 surges more than a HTT66 or a II Phat Shaft 66.The B1 Steroid is even smaller than the 66 class and was built for the nitrous gang.If you experiencing that then the truck will surge with any aftermarket charger.The standard B1 is about the size of a Phat Shaft 62 and those are relatively small chargers if your heavily fueled.

As for your complaint of barking....
It really doen't matter what aftermarket charger that you run,they will all bark at some point of another.The Stage 3 Garrett on my 12v would drive you nuts then if you do not like the B1 as it will flutter and bark at will.As someone has said on trips tighten up the star wheel and remove some of the low end agressiveness and it should ease the "barking" some.However,I have found that its easier to moderate that with you foot then to remove the low end spool up.Porting the head does not help ease "barking" it helps airflow some but for the average owner its not neccessary and money wasted.

crankbender...
At one time there was a company who sold a kit for the 12v owner that allowed for AFC starwheel adjustment from in the cab.Is that what you have?I had the link to where those could be bought and lost it and would like to order one.........Andy

P.S.-The cam didn't help either,LOL.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer
kas...
I can not believe that a off the shelf B1 surges more than a HTT66 or a II Phat Shaft 66.The B1 Steroid is even smaller than the 66 class and was built for the nitrous gang.If you experiencing that then the truck will surge with any aftermarket charger.The standard B1 is about the size of a Phat Shaft 62 and those are relatively small chargers if your heavily fueled.

As for your complaint of barking....
It really doen't matter what aftermarket charger that you run,they will all bark at some point of another.The Stage 3 Garrett on my 12v would drive you nuts then if you do not like the B1 as it will flutter and bark at will.As someone has said on trips tighten up the star wheel and remove some of the low end agressiveness and it should ease the "barking" some.However,I have found that its easier to moderate that with you foot then to remove the low end spool up.Porting the head does not help ease "barking" it helps airflow some but for the average owner its not neccessary and money wasted.

crankbender...
At one time there was a company who sold a kit for the 12v owner that allowed for AFC starwheel adjustment from in the cab.Is that what you have?I had the link to where those could be bought and lost it and would like to order one.........Andy

P.S.-The cam didn't help either,LOL.
I know that aftermarket chargers are going to bark, I just didn't realize how it was going to be. The 66 class chargers were both in automatics, which I should've mentioned before and should have never compared this thing too. Two completely different setups also.

It's a learning process for me, and I'm getting better with driving it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 PM

Hammer, I have made my own set up for the AFC. I just ran a air brake line from the maniflod into the cab, put a needle valve in line then back out through the firewall, a tee with a needle valve for constant bleed off, then to the AFC.

I can close the valve in the cab and run full valet, crack it open and adjust the rate the AFC moves forwards in relation to boost, or wide open to blow smoke everywhere.

I have realy good controll and can make the truck do what ever I want. When towing my boat 4000LBS??? on cruse I find that the turbo will bark and flutter on every hill if I don't (in regular terms) "tighten up the star wheel" with my little needle valve set up.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know when I first got my new turbo it took some getting used to for sure I was barking and surging like crazy then fter a while I learned how to drive around all of that and have not barked or surged for a while