Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

B-1 installed, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B-1 installed, some questions

First off, will adding more fuel to the mix cause it to bark less? It's horrible during shifts. Secondly, I was told it was gated to 42 psi, yet the first run got me 46 psi. What gives? I was told it was a quick spooling B-1, that it lit off around 1500 rpm. Not sure which model it is though. It's a Turbo Auto Diesel unit, number 49877.

I need fuel, as my #11 plate is all that's fueling it. I have some DDP Stage 2's on their way, and I took a stock plate and made it into a #100 today, but didn't install yet. Will this be enough to make the turbo behave pretty well? Or will it be too much? And what type of intake should I use? The BHAF is getting pretty dirty, and I'd like to upgrade to something that will allow this charger to reach it's full potential.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Kas have you run an aftermarket turbo yet? The reason I ask is they do behave a bit differant than the stockers do I had a hard time getting used to mine but once I knew how to avoid these little issues like barking I was good to go! Good luck...
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by schoust
Hey Kas have you run an aftermarket turbo yet? The reason I ask is they do behave a bit differant than the stockers do I had a hard time getting used to mine but once I knew how to avoid these little issues like barking I was good to go! Good luck...
I've driven a Sled Puller 66 on a 98, and a Phatshaft 66 on a 95. My B-1 barks horribly in comparison to them. I know it will take some getting used to.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 PM
GFB

When I added more fuel my HX barked a lot worse. I would get an intake or new BHAF to get some more air into that thing.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Kas Just giving you my experiances with the new turbo. I guess you been there done that. So it barks when your shifting the trans? I would check the gate with regulated air and see where it's set first then try it again..
Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by schoust
Ok Kas Just giving you my experiances with the new turbo. I guess you been there done that. So it barks when your shifting the trans? I would check the gate with regulated air and see where it's set first then try it again..
I just got home from a 300 mile trip taking family home, and found some interesting things on the trip. If I shift at ~20 psi, it falls off with no barking. Anything above about 25 and it will bark, and obviously get worse if I'm shifting at higher boost. With the cruise set at 70 mph, it was at about 550* and 4 psi boost. Small to moderate hills on the interstate with the cruise would bark the turbo slightly at the top, if the boost got to about 20 psi. While playing around and doing some WOT blasts, it would bounce the boost gauge quite a bit when shifting. At 40 psi, it would sound like it was going to blow an intercooler boot or worse. I didn't think this turbo was that big. And the highest EGT's I saw were 1100*.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:31 PM

The B1 can handle the barking...welcome to the world of 12v's It's the anemic head that makes them bark!

Chris
Old 11-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

Do all the AFC mods you can, shim the front plug 2mm, and put in that #100 and grind it DEEP.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
It's the anemic head that makes them bark!
Chris
So should I look into port/polish and vavle job? New head with all that already done? And fuel it harder? Maybe if Garrett would reply to PM's, I could get all that taken care of. I ordered the other stuff through his site, knowing what I wanted. The head is something I'm still unsure about.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

Garrett doesn't get on this site very much anymore, I'll tell him that you sent him a PM on here.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 PM

I have an in cab adjustable "starwheel" using a needle valve to controll the rate the AFC moves forwards. So I can play around a lot on the fly, this is what I have learned.

You need to tighten up the star wheel and / or possibly move your AFC back so you don't fuel as hard. This will get rid of most of the barking while on cruse. The stock cruse controll is quite aggresive on the throttle imput, gives lots of fuel then cuts back quick. Barking occurs very easily when this happens. Fueling less quiclkly will stop the turbo from spinning up and down so drasticly. There is a fine line between fueling to fast and hurting performance to much. It may take some experimentation to find the sweet spot.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
Garrett doesn't get on this site very much anymore, I'll tell him that you sent him a PM on here.
I PM'd him on compdiesel. Nothing yet.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

I bet you will hear back pretty fast, he is always on CompD
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by kas83
So should I look into port/polish and vavle job? New head with all that already done? And fuel it harder? Maybe if Garrett would reply to PM's, I could get all that taken care of. I ordered the other stuff through his site, knowing what I wanted. The head is something I'm still unsure about.
All that will help...but I doubt it will eliminate the barking/surging. The B1's are "old school" and that was one of the quirks. BUT, they are TOUGH and will make the power!

BTW, I had a barking/surging charger...we'll see how a port and polish, and cam make a difference!

Chris
Old 11-26-2007, 04:36 PM

I'm just looking for the excuse to do the upgrades, lol. I'm learning how to drive around the barking/surging. I knew it wouldn't drive like the stocker, and had only driven 66 class chargers before, so I didn't know what to expect. I like it so far, good power, and the whistle is pretty cool too.

Quick Reply: B-1 installed, some questions