Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

auxiliary lights question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auxiliary lights question

I got a set of lights for free, that I was going to hook them up in the rear for much needed extra light in backing up. They are Per-Lux halogen lights model/series 500. I read the instructions and it's a little different than the other lights I have hooked up before in the front. the way I know to do it is as follows.

1. Ground lights
2. Run power wire from light to switch
3. Ground switch
4. Run wire with in-line fuse from battery to switch

These want me to use a relay and I have never used one of these, nor do I know what it does. This is how they want me to run it.

1. Ground lights
2. Run power wire from lights to 87 on the relay
3. Run wire from 86 on the relay to the switch
4. Ground the switch
5. Run wire from 85 on the relay to the screw holding the relay in place to ground it
6. Run wire with a inline fuse from 30 on the relay to the batteries
7. Run wire from switch to the "hot wire" that activates the lights you want (low beams, high beams, reverse lights, which ever applies)

The way that I know how to do it seems a lot easier. So can I skip the whole relay thing and do it the other way to where it comes on when I flip the switch, instead of when both, switch & backup lights are on?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM

Do it their way.

Without a relay, you have the entire current draw flowing through the switch. You also have some voltage drop through the switch, which equals dimmer lights. Running hot wires into the cab to a switch and then back out just increases the chances of a short.

It is more work, but it will give better light and be safer.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:14 PM

ok, but if I want the light to come on only by the switch without spliceing into the reverse lights, how do I go about doing that?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 AM

You wire it in pretty much as they say. The relay that is being used probably has 5 terminals on it.

Basically follow their instructions,

Good size Gauge wire from + Battery Terminal (with inline fuse) to the #30 slot on the relay. Run wires from the 87 terminals (if there is two) down to each light and ground each light by itself. So one 87 terminal goes to the left light, the other 87 terminal goes to the right light.

Now the 85 and 86 terminals are for your power/ground to activate the relay. In my experience, I run a wire from the 85 or 86 (doesn't matter, but lets say we are using the 85 for +) to the fuse panel on the side of the dash, when you open the driver door. Find a fuse spot that isn't used on your truck, or one that you feel is good for 12 volt source. Remove the fuse, plug in the wire to the power and leave that wire be.

Now for the switch, I run my switched to finish the circuit by grounding. This allows less spark inside the relay, which results in a longer lasting relay. So now we find a ground under the dash, attach a wire through a screw lets say. Bring this wire to the one terminal on your switch, now make another wire that goes from the other terminal on the switch to the 86 terminal on the relay. When you flick the switch, this will complete the circuit that energizes the relay, in doing so pulls a little tab inside the relay over and closes the circuit for the headlight section. Allowing the power from your battery (the 30 terminal) to head on throughout the 87 terminal(s) and down to your lights.

Hope this helps. This is how you would go about so that you have a switch of your own and can turn the lights on and off whenever you like.

OR, if you want to follow their instructions easier. Run a small wire from either the 85 or 86 terminal and onto the screw that you are mounting the relay with (Like they say). This will ground the relay right there, so now all you will need is a power wire from your fuse panel, into a switch..and then from the switch to the other 85/86 terminal.

Basically its either using the switch to use Positive to charge the relay, or Negative to charge the relay.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM

thanks that helps me understand a little better
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Dinner as you set right. If your like me and need a visual go google relays and such and youll see some diagrams. A relay is nothing more than a switch, but it is constructed to handle larger ammounts of current flowing through it.

As to the question about wheather to use a switch or splice into the stock backup lights this is my opinion. My buddy has his wired up to his lights, its annoying. Any time we are hooking up a trailer or need the light to shut a gate or do whatever, he has to have it in reverse. Which means he cant safely leave the cab. Mine are on a switch where I can flip them on for whatever reason without having to fiddle with the transmission selection or risk my saftey relying on the parking brake (auto only).