Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aux. Fuel Tank hook up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aux. Fuel Tank hook up.

Needing some help on hook up. I kind of know what has to happen, but want to make sure. I want to feed my aux. tank into the OEM tank via gravity feed. I bought the tank from Handy Industries, only one that I could find to fit a short bed, nice tank. Anyway, does the vent from the aux. have to be uncapped and the vent on the OEM tank capped? I was going to use a ball valve to open/shut fuel flow going from the tank. Are there any pitfalls I should know about?

Edit: Sorry, I posted in the wrong forum section.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on mine i took the fill neck off the truck and welded a fitting on it.. i left the stock vent open but i made it longer.. hope this helps
Old 09-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Chapter President

Thanks BigT. I was thinking if I capped the stock vent and left the in bed tank's vent open it would work the same. I guess as long as the vent is higher than the fuel level it should work.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:49 AM

I have a 100gal tank that I use on roadtrips. Pic in gallery. I "T" the drain from the aux tank into my vent tube that runs next to the filler neck. Didn't do anything with the stock tanks vents. The semi tank has a one way valve on top that lets air in, plus the fuel cap on the semi tank is supposed to be vented as well. So when my fuel light comes on, I stop open the gate valve, start driving and takes about ~20min to fill the tank back up, stop again and shut the vavle off. Reason why I should the vavle off is my OEM fuel cap leaks, when its overfilled it will pour out the filler neck. Not sure if its normal or I have a bad sealing fuel cap. I'm gonna get a locking cap and see if it happens again. If the fuel cap was air tight, I could prolly keep the aux tank open and not worry.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not use the solenoid controlled valve and do it all in cab? As I told you before mike, "t" into the supply line to the LP and you can just drive away!!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by Mcmopar
Why not use the solenoid controlled valve and do it all in cab? As I told you before mike, "t" into the supply line to the LP and you can just drive away!!
The cheapest I found the valve for was $165.00. I want to get it hooked up now and look around for a better way in the future.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, common you know you roll around in all that money when you get home from the office!!

Did I mention your neighbor told me you did it naked
Old 09-01-2005, 10:56 AM

My next plan is to use a solenoid controlled valve instead of the manual valve but I didnt have the time. Packing and getting ready to move then. Getting out got old but it did give me time to stretch.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by Mcmopar
Dude, common you know you roll around in all that money when you get home from the office!!

Did I mention your neighbor told me you did it naked
Dang! nosey neighbors...
Old 09-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Aux fuel tk

To 2500cdt; I use a toolbox tank combo, and found that the stock filler cap is vented, So I used a little "JB weld" to plug the vent mechanism. Since then I have had no leakage at the stock filler. Now I drive till the fuel gauge starts to go down, and then I go to a truck stop and fill the aux tank. Gravity fill to the stock tank from an aux tank is DOT legal. as long as there is a shut off valve inbetween. My aux tank filler cap is vented as is the tank.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by ironbutt
To 2500cdt; I use a toolbox tank combo, and found that the stock filler cap is vented, So I used a little "JB weld" to plug the vent mechanism. Since then I have had no leakage at the stock filler. Now I drive till the fuel gauge starts to go down, and then I go to a truck stop and fill the aux tank. Gravity fill to the stock tank from an aux tank is DOT legal. as long as there is a shut off valve inbetween. My aux tank filler cap is vented as is the tank.
Thanks i'll have to try that, thoguh I had a bad cap or something.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:12 AM

on my 03 I did not have to do anything to the cap..it has never leaked
Old 09-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Chapter President

I got it hooked up. I just used the aux. hook up on the tank. I put a ball valve in line as a shut off along with a small fuel pump. Everything works great.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:42 AM

any of yall have a fuel container that will fit under the tonneu cover?......
i like to find one that would fit under and be little more descrete about it......
Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Chapter President

http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...uct=15&D=2&S=6

This is what I have.

Quick Reply: Aux. Fuel Tank hook up.