Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Autometer Pyro

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autometer Pyro

Got some gauges (Boost, Pyro) - nice carbon fiber style, appear to be high quality stuff. Made a cool custom column mount. Got everything wired, plumbed, manifold tapped etc, etc. Bad news is: LOOKS LIKE THE PYRO IS BAD! Anyone ever got a bad Autometer?

I checked the thermocouple with an ohmmeter sitting in the cab and can watch it go up and down. Wiring is good, checked, double-checked. The gauge shows dead short across the lead wire terminals, that don't seem right. Could it be anything else but just a defective gauge?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes there have been a lot of BAD PYROS from autometer I had 3 ....yes 3 in a row I finaly installed a issapro works great !
its a bad gauge I did the same thing over and over pulling my hair out. I finaly pulled a gauge from another truck and bingo it worked. every one of my trucks have pyros 2 have autometers in them the last one I did was on the 98 last week and it was the problem child.

I even took the truck to the parts house and showed him the 3rd time it was wired right!
Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first installed mine, it showed 1000 degrees at idle, and just going down the street at 30 km/h it was pegged. I started to move the gauge back and forth in the pillar and eventually it came down to a sane level. Pulled the gauge out, and in the plug in the harness, a wire was pulling out and was making poor/no contact. Pushed the wire in all the way, reinstalled and haven't had a problem like that since.

I've had a couple problems with a bad ground, or a bare wire, and when the lights are on, it will kill the gauges. Without the lights on, they would work fine. Double check all connections for a bad ground or bare wires first, then start swapping gauges.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This one doesn't move at all except to snap the needle down against the stop for an instant when it's switched on. Connections are solid, soldered in all cases where appropriate and absolutely correct. Loose wires are just poor installation work, IMHO.