Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Automatic Trannies and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Automatic Trannies and upgrades

Who's doing my tranny? Probably that guy who lives about 30 minutes from me and that's if there's some traffic at the border. I've already decided that in good time all things will come together. I may not like it but I can't afford to replace a tranny right now. Price wise, I think the Comp is the correct step. Anything less will be unsatisfactory if I forget myself and have to bomb more. Thanks to all for replying. <br><br>~Dave
Old 11-24-2002, 08:47 PM

I keep seeing things like &quot;DTT 91%&quot;, or 87%. I am confused. What are these percentages referring to? Are there kits you can buy that are cheaper than going for a whole tranny? If so my parents would love to find out how to get one as my father wants to put an EZ on his to help with a camper, but he doesn't want to go for a tranny. I have also heard that he can be ok with just buying a new torque converter. I don't know what to tell him. Can ya'll give any advice here?<br><br>Not trying to steal the thread...but while we are on the subject of tranny upgrades
Old 11-24-2002, 09:30 PM

87% (yes, there's an 87), 89%, 91%, and 93% are the efficiency numbers of DTT converters. the stock one is said to be 72% efficient (if that's right from another thread). an aftermarket full valve body will hold the power of an ez, and the comp too (but getting higher in the power level it turns then from the pressures to the converter itself getting weak).<br><br>Tom
Old 11-25-2002, 08:25 PM

Never heard of an 87% ??? There are the 89%, 91% and 93% T.C. from DTT.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:25 PM

[quote author=CMNS_PWR link=board=7;threadid=7436;start=0#71515 date=1038075194]<br><br>Unfortunately, Tom, its gonna put even more stress on the system. The shift kits are just a temporary fix.<br>[/quote]<br><br>On what do you base this statement? It seems to me that the TransGo kit does just what is claimed- increases system pressure to hold bands &amp; clutches engaged harder, allows more flow through the converter, and shortens shift time (&quot;overlap&quot to reduce friction, all of which should reduce temperatures and prolong the life of friction materials. ???
Old 11-25-2002, 11:49 PM

Well we may not be able to completely agree on this issue, but I understand what you are saying- the OEM design and materials have their limits. True, the kit does push the clutches and bands a little harder. I still think that is not as likely to stress them as is slipping from making power increases. Of course there are limits, and I'm not implying that the stocker with a kit can come anywhere close to what's available from the aftermarket. I just think the kit-equipped tranny can hold a little more power than stock.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:04 AM

yeah, that's what kind of confuses me. the aftermarket full valve bodys are also suppose to up the line pressures to hold the clutches down. Tim (from blue chip) ran only a valve body and torque converter with 82 or 85,000 miles before it let go. remind you that he raced almost every weekend with it and was running 640hp. i heard that he finally welded the converter to the hub.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

If I may chime in with my little knowledge- <br>First: I added an Edge Pulse on a neglected stock tranny- well it didn't last long. Then I bought some stuff from DTT ( as seen in sig) and put it all in. <br>After some phone calls with lots of questions and so on my tranny works like desired. I do think that installing the clutches and bands from DTT is not too difficult for the average mechanic- as long as you take your time and work very precisely. I think that if you go up the HP ladder you will need a better TC not only for having the lockup clutch that holds your torque but to get to a stall speed that matches your truck. My truck with the stock tc would stall that high that the truck was starting to defuel at about 5mph at WOT runs. So I had to let off and let it shift up to 2nd and 3rd and again when getting into it it would rev up to about 3000.... You could feel the power when lockup was applied, when not it was just noise. My lockup clutch did not slip badly. I could have gone on with it, but the lack of torque transferred at reasonable rpm made me change the whole stuff. <br>In any case as a first step of bombing I would drop the pan and adjust the bands, put in a good filter, measure all pressures and check if everything is within specs. I think that a maladjusted tranny will slip even on stock power and then you'll have to take care about all the debris floating around and you'll have destroyed good material and will have to replace it for serious $$$. <br> Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with DTT or any other vendor, any suggestions to be taken with a grain of salt, use at your own risk , and... SORRY FOR THE LONG POST<br>AlpineRAM<br>