Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Automatic Trannies and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Trannies and upgrades

Just recently we had a thread about 275s and DD I and II's and their effect on sticks. Well, that thread never really got into the meat of what effect these upgrades would have on an ETC (auto - right?) Doug provided some start of information on this subject but readily admitted a lack of depth of knowledge relating to automatic transmissions and upgrading "lightly" and was ready to defer to others with greater knowledge. I know that I'm not the only one concerned about this, one other chimed in on the other thread stating similar concerns. Basically, I'm trying to get a handle on upgrading prior to the major transmission upgrade. Without getting into details, I've already settled on the upgrade I've planned to have done but due to trying economic conditions, can't do the upgrade for a while(Unless of course, DTR issues a Master Card and I can get a line for 3500 bucks). Since I'm looking at turning my truck into the ultimate TOWING machine, I don't need to have whiz bang, blow the ricers off the road, smoke and horsepower, like many of my contemporaries. 275s with a Edge Comp with wire not pierced seems to give me something just under 300 hp and better mpg (a minor improvement but still in the right direction, am I right so far?). I state Edge Comp because, I do plan to upgrade the tranny to the correct condition and add a smart controller and pacbrake or comparable product in the near future. I'm willing to bite the difference in price on upgrading to different injectors but not in the Edge EZ or Comp. To me it's a no brainer. Now, to the crux of the question. Am I on the right track with this assumption? I know that there are those individuals in our family that have these same setups. What are your reactions? Just remember, I'm not looking to beat a ricer off the line (already done that, the fool didn't know how to shift right and I took him with an automatic stocker some children will never learn) My wife has very grandiose plans for the 5'er and I think I'm gonna wish I'd bought a 3500 before this is all done. I might add that I'll be able to meet with and talk to the individuals that will be installing the upgraded transmission on 7 Dec because they will be in attendance at a Dyno Day in my neck of the woods. We're looking at baby steps here. I know I'm not the only one. I do apologise for the long message but I need to ensure that all information is stated from the start.

~Dave
Old 11-23-2002, 07:09 AM

Re:Automatic Trannies and upgrades

Dave,<br>Stock auto, ok.<br>Back in Nov 01 I plugged in the Edge EZ for the first time,<br>next came BHAF and Boost elbow.<br>With this amount of power (probably 235-240rwhp) my stock tranny held the power, with frequent fluid changes at 10000 mile intervals, and filter changes.<br><br>Next in June of 02 I installed 275 injectors, within 2 weeks or so the stock tranny began to slip when I mashed the throttle.<br>(by the way while under 50mph always OD off)<br><br>So the stock tranny can handle the EZ with proper maintenance intervals and little towing.<br>But once you add injectors all bets are off!!<br><br>If I had it to do all over again, I would have just upgraded the tranny first!<br><br>I would suggest checking out www.ATSdiesel.com <br><br>--Justin<br>
Old 11-23-2002, 08:25 AM

from what i've done, known, and from who i've talked to, there's two reasons why a modded motor/ unmodded tranny will or will not fail:

1. it depends on how you drive (take into consideration idling in neutral, throttle versus power and transmission pressures, letting the lock up clutch seat easily-letting off the throttle so there's not a big rpm drop which causes for scrubbing motions, etc.).

2. luck. some transmissions don't have as good tolerences as others. look at Jack's truck, it failed at what, 30,000 miles?

i have over 65,000 on mine (had it since 36k) and it's still doing great. i can still slip the lock up clutch, but driving right helps a ton. although i accelerate fast a lot (either racing, or putting the motor/transmission in the right hp/tq curve as to not put too much strain on the inside clutches), other than that- i baby it.

if you want a cheap/quick way out you could buy an Transgo Shift Kit. some have had a lot of problems, some have loved it. otherwise, i'd go with a full new valve body upgrade.

Tom
Old 11-23-2002, 09:40 AM

Dave a lot of guys will tell you the stock trans will hold up under the EZ, I'm telling you mine DID NOT hold the power and neither did two of my freinds, an 01 &amp; another Y2K.<br> You might have a good one that will, I doubt it. And babying it won't help my friend with the 01 drives like an old woman he only uped his power for the hills towing so I wouldn't walk away from him, ( we travel together alot on camping trips.)<br> I would do the trans and then the Comp. The Comp alone will give you over 300 HP with the stock injectors. My 2cts.<br> chuck.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:52 AM

Dave,<br> Looks like we have the same truck, same idea's, almost the same wife (don't forget about the WT of your wife's shoes in the 5er). I went with the Edge EZ but looking back I now wish I got the Comp. I'm also looking at the 275 but like you money is tight. Your plans sound good, why don't you buy the comp, put it in the shed, buy the 275's, put them in the shed as well, then after you upgrade your tranny, put the Comp and 275's in. Reading all the threads on this site, I upgraded the tranny first, then did the HP things. If I did the HP upgrades first, my tranny would have not held up and then I would have been in a world of crap with the wife. Just remember, you have a great truck but it won't be worth a penny if you blow the tranny. Do the tranny first...<br>Big dawg
Old 11-23-2002, 11:40 AM

well, it looks like i'll be buying the transgo shift kit on monday. hopefully i wont have any problems and it'll prolong the life on the transmission (and keep the lock up clutch from slipping!)
Old 11-23-2002, 03:15 PM

[quote author=CMNS_PWR link=board=7;threadid=7436;start=0#71515 date=1038075194]
Unfortunately, Tom, its gonna put even more stress on the system. The shift kits are just a temporary fix.
[/quote]

that bad? i've gotten a lot of conflicting answers. so is my only choice to get an full valve body upgrade? a lot of shops use shift kits and like them. i've heard a lot of bad too. i'm mostly looking for lock up clutch holding power, and maybe some better shifts, but no harsh shifting. honestly, should i pass on getting one??
Old 11-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Tom I hear it is nothing but a band-aid at best with these trannys. I don't know what to tell you, I was considering doing one myself for some peace of mind till spring but.....
Old 11-23-2002, 07:12 PM

well then, i guess i wont get one. i'll probably save up for stacks, the bug has hit me hard... ;D
Old 11-23-2002, 09:21 PM

Lots of good sound advice. Today at a Bomb Party, I was drug kicking and screaming and forced to drive a 2002 auto similar to mine except it had a Diesel Dynamics True Torque Power Module which gave him a 50 hp gain. No other upgrades. That baby shifted like a dream. ;D ;D Now, he's been told by the installer/sales people that in this configuration, his tranny is pretty safe. Is this the same thing as adding an Edge with no other modifications? Still playing the odds of trashing the tranny? If the answer is yes, I'll tell you right now, it's just not fair :'( :'( :'( I will have an opportunity on Dec 7 at a dyno to talk to his installers about this upgrade, but I'd like some more opinions concerning this. Apparently, they'll even slap one in my truck for a try out (like a drug dealer giving away the first fix). This is just too insideous.

~Dave
Old 11-24-2002, 09:23 AM

That was an EZ with D.D. name on it, Edge makes the boxes for them, at least they did.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:35 AM

Dave let me tell you how I got my EZ. They were just coming out and I saw the adds and seen that they were made about 50 miles from me. So I thought I could save some money by skipping the middle man (wrong) I called Edge and ask about them. He said I could come by and get one and try it for a week or so, I said I was leaving in 2 days for Vegas nascar races. Long story short after some talk he brought it to S.L and put it on my truck and said take it to Vegas and if you like it pay me when you get back.( he knew there was no way I wouldn't like it.) While we were there I let my friend drive it and he went right down to Diesel Dyn and bought their version. We were two Happy Campers.<br><br><br>
Old 11-24-2002, 03:01 PM

So what you're saying is that the DD product is probably a relabled Edge EZ or is at least comparable to an EZ. I just looked at an Edge EZ and the DD looks almost identical, exterior wise. Cost wise, I'd be better off getting a Comp and treating it as an EZ. The source I know of wants $649. for the DD and a Comp from Rod is $675. or so. That puts me back at the starting line because everyone is advising me to not take this step until I've mod'ed the tranny. If that's the case, so be it. I may not like it but I do have to respect the opinions of those who have been there. The last thing I need to do is trash a tranny. Any progress on that DTR Platinum Charge Card??

~Dave
Old 11-24-2002, 08:04 PM
JR2

I would have to say that my tranny upgrades where like getting 50 extra HP with out adding any box. Since you plan on towing I would go for the tranny before I did anything else. You will not be dissapointed.

As for boxes edge makes the DD boxes for them, they also make them for a bunch of others....if it looks like an EZ it probably is. It seems they all cost about the same so why not have the EZ. You can pick up an EZ for $450 from the right place. A Comp will run you around $650+. If you plan on going farther (like injectors,turbos, air intakes, exhaust and fuel system upgrades) then go for the Comp...if not get an EZ and be happy. I will tell you that I started with a box and it went down hill from there.....look at my sig ;D

By the way...who is doing your tranny?? You live close to one of the best guys in the business (just my opnion).

Quick Reply: Automatic Trannies and upgrades