Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Automatic Down Passenger Window

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Down Passenger Window

Ok. My little mind is working again. I was wondering if I could use a relay, triggered off of the wire that rolls the drivers side window down automatically, to roll down the passenger window as well. What do yall think? It seems like it should be fairly simple.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:31 AM

I'd love to see this done... Being that the driver side has it how about the passenger side??!!

I'm going to be a fly on this page and watch it!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:15 AM

If you find a wiring diagram for the windows, let me know. I'd like to be able to just open my passenger window
Old 01-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

I can open my passener window seperately. I need to get off my lazy butt and do this. It should be fairly easy. Maybe tomorrow. Today is headlights and lukes link.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Automatic Down Passenger Window

Originally posted by BigBlue
Ok. My little mind is working again. I was wondering if I could use a relay, triggered off of the wire that rolls the drivers side window down automatically, to roll down the passenger window as well. What do yall think? It seems like it should be fairly simple.
Probably not as simple as it might seem, although I'm sure it's not impossible. The FSM says that the auto-down circuitry is built into the switch and uses the same pins (and therefore, wires) as the normal down function. I'm not sure a relay by itself would be able to differentiate between the two. You could tear apart the module and replace the guts of the passenger switch with the guts of a driver-side switch. That might be fairly straightforward.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

Well, here's how I think it would work. You've got your constant hot wire coming from a key on only source (that way the window only has power when the key is on). Then you've got the power for the drivers side window triggering the relay. The relay then energizes the wire from the passenger side switch and rolls the window down. At least, that's how it works in my head. I only roll down both windows at the same time so it wouldn't be a bother to me if every time I rolled the driver down, the passenger went down as well.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the circuitry is built into the switch, how about just getting a replacement driver side window switch,
and hooking it up in place of the passenger window switch, right next to the driver side switch?

Hit both switches to the auto down position and voila!

phox
Old 01-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

phox, I'd like to do that, but I'm looking for something cheap and simple. I am in college you know. I'm gonna look into it more tomorrow during my lunch break and I'll let you know what I find.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 PM

Tyler just do what u were explaining and if you need the pass. window up then you can roll it up just by the other switch. I have seen people do it and i have done it b4 its not very hard but would i would do is find the rely for the autmatic part of the switch and tap into that and run a wire across to your other switch which doesnt have a rely (or it shouldnt atleast) and then you can still roll your window down seperatly if need be but also you can then push your switch further down and once it hits auto roll it will then roll the other one down. Im sure you have already figured it out by now but just tryin to help ya out. If i have confused u then let me know.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:06 AM

Could I put an auto-down switch out of a newer truck in my 95?

Or should I try it and let everyone know!?

BTW, is the passenger side auto-down as well (I mean the switch in the passenger door, not the passebger side of the driver door switch.)?

Thanks Guys,
Chris
Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 AM

bigblue,
i'm not an expert at this by i did make a living when i was younger doing this aftermarket radios, amps, alarms, starters and the like. i have put in "auto rolldown" setups in cars that don't have them in at the factory. the one install that i do recall is a 89 ford bronco. the customer wanted an auto rolldown for the large window at the tail gate. it was done but with three relays and the trigger that set this off was from the three function remote off the car alarm. was quite involved.

just my $.02
Old 01-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

I don't know how I'm gonna do it quite yet. Still looking for info. Work is really starting to crank up so this project might have to get put off until school starts back up again. I'll keep yall posted.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
phox, I'd like to do that, but I'm looking for something cheap and simple. I am in college you know. I'm gonna look into it more tomorrow during my lunch break and I'll let you know what I find.
Seems to me that there should be lots of pretty young things at that college you could talk into riding shotgun with you. You could just have them put the window down for ya, heck it would even be voice operated. (Pretty sure that could get expensive quick though).
Old 01-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Banned

Oh there are lots of those. But they get awfully expensive and I'm having trouble finding one that is fine with my truck coming before her. I had one at one point in time. Don't know why I broke that off.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've dissected window switches with auto down, all it is a full on switch at the far movement rather than the momentary on type normally used. The stays on portion of the switch has a metal strip that the current flows though, the higher amperage and heat when the window bottoms out causes the strip to move kicking it off. It's almost like a self resetting circuit breaker. A very simple device.

Quick Reply: Automatic Down Passenger Window