Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

auto to manual swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto to manual swap?

Considering swapping my auto trans for a manual. Couple of questions first, can I swap a '96 5-speed into my '01 auto or does it have to be the same year ranges? I know valves don't matter, but as far as electronics go. Would this be a pretty straight forward swap or more troule than it's worth. Side note; both trannies are working good and built up better than stock, just considering a trade.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if u already have a built up auto and still want to change, then it would be worth it. If u had a stock auto my recomendations would be to spend some money on the auto first like a nice TC and valve body. The nv4500 is the same for all years, except the top cover changed 98+ i think it was to the new style shift tower so u can put a short shift kit on and stuff. You can interchange the shift covers to so yea that 96 5 speed will work. I can't speak on the 24v electronics, but all thats really needed is the backup light wires (2 of them) which should be on a plug on ur auto along with the nuetral saftey wire that needs to be wired to the clutch master switch. and u ground the other wire thats on the clutch master switch. And that keeps cruise control working and everything.

The swap was worth it for me because i've driven manual in all the vehicles i've owned, but I still want to go back to a nice auto eventually.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM

thanks Box5 for the info. If we end up doing the swap I'll be sure and let ya'll know how it works out. It won't be for a couple of months or so, so I have time to make a final decision.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Ok here's another question, but it goes the opposite way. Will my automatic fit in the '96? Will the computers match or will they have to be changed? Is that even an option? Sorry about all the questions just like to have all my ducks in a row before I commit to something.