Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Auto and Exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto and Exhaust brake

Well I'm reasearching trannies now, and since I end up towing heavy, usually unintentionally, I wanted to know who is using an auto with an exhaust brake? I called GBtrans and am pretty much set on them, but I forgot to ask while I was on the phone if I can use an EB with his trannies. So anyone gota an auto/EB? How good do they work?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
While I don't have an auto, I can tell you that you will need a lock up control module to work in conjunction with the e brake because when the e brake engages, the converter must be locked. ATS, DTT BD and others offer the lock up controller to work with the e brake.....a good converter with a HD lock up clutch is much more important than the tranny itself when using an e brake.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:59 AM

Would a simple toggle switch work with a brake? GB trans says with his VB mods, the installation of a toggle switch will lock the TC in all forward gears. Would this work, or do I need a controller?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:25 AM

What about using the signal for the brake itself to lock the TC that way you won't forget to lock it in? What would happen if you forgot to lock the TC and the brake engaged? Or if the brake engaged then you locked the TC?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you were to use a manually activated brake, I don't see why using the brake signal to lock the converter wouldn't work......you would have to add a relay to the system as the e brake switches by positive power and the TC switches by negative.....it would be easy to do. You could not use this method if you opted for an e brake with the ECM interface - this system will definitely require the use of a lock up control module.....unless somebody here has figured out a way around that too?

If you didn't lock the TC with the brake engaged, tranny temps will go through the roof as the converter will be forced to slip excessively.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:19 AM

I know there were previous posts which included how to wire up a relay to make sure the trans-lockup would let off before coming to a complete stop -- should be able to find it with the search. As mentioned above, there are plenty of trans lockup modules on the market. I'm using the Banks brake with the integrated Translock, and love how it works. An e-brake on an auto is not as effective in slowing down the truck/trailer as it is on a manual, but it is a "must have" for anyone towing heavy loads.

If you are thinking about going with the BG trans, make sure you tell them about installing an e-brake so they can make sure the trans VB pressures are set up to work with the e-brake properly. I'm hoping to get my new GB transmission installed the week of the 25th.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM

I have the Banks Exhaust Brake and a Auto and I am not real impressed. Considering mods like Valve Springs or butterfly plug to help out. Works great with the OD disengaged but with it on it is pretty much useless.
I have heard and witnessed good things about PAC.
I even went as far as sending the ECM back to Banks for the newer software and it still doesnt work very well in OD, not to mention now I have to tap the peddle real light to get the maintanance cycle to kick on in the morns.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by CSAGrey1
I have the Banks Exhaust Brake and a Auto and I am not real impressed. Considering mods like Valve Springs or butterfly plug to help out. Works great with the OD disengaged but with it on it is pretty much useless.
I have heard and witnessed good things about PAC.
I even went as far as sending the ECM back to Banks for the newer software and it still doesnt work very well in OD, not to mention now I have to tap the peddle real light to get the maintanance cycle to kick on in the morns.
I don't think you're going to be impressed with anyone's exhaust brake in OD. Exhaust brakes need RPM to make big-time retarding power. Us manual transmission folks don't mind downshifting as needed - it's part of the drill.

Rusty
Old 07-15-2005, 03:53 PM

And don't forget that heavier valve springs are needed. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 07-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by kandgo
And don't forget that heavier valve springs are needed.
Not if he has a 24 valve engine - he doesn't say. For the newbies, 60 pound exhaust springs are a 12 valve thing!

Rusty
Old 07-15-2005, 04:01 PM

Oh yea, that is right. My head is above my rear now. I stand corrected in my rush not to read his signature that he has a overvalved truck. Thanks Rust,,,Goodluck,,Rick
Old 07-15-2005, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running a Banks exhaust brake on an auto for a year now and even though i agree with the lack of retard on O/D , you must have the RPM's above 2000 to get good braking. Down shifting to third i hardly have to use the brakes until the torque converter unlocks. You want to run a good aftermarket converter and not the stock one. A good torque converter controller wired up with a relay to the exhaust brake works good. My exhaust brake will turn off at any speed that i have the torque converter lock-up set at. Also you may want to use a valve body set up for this,as increase in line pressure helps the clutch packs and the torque converter clutch from slipping.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:57 PM

Need to lock out OD, lock converter, hit the EB then set the cruise (if wanted) and sit back, if it gets rolling too fast, hit the brakes shortly and it will haul right down, I'm real happy with the effectiveness of mine but as Rusty said you need some rpm to get effect (2000+ seems to work pretty well)
Old 07-16-2005, 12:41 AM

Re: Auto and Exhaust brake

Originally posted by 2500CTD
Well I'm reasearching trannies now, and since I end up towing heavy, usually unintentionally, I wanted to know who is using an auto with an exhaust brake? I called GBtrans and am pretty much set on them, but I forgot to ask while I was on the phone if I can use an EB with his trannies. So anyone gota an auto/EB? How good do they work?
I asked Dave that very question. His answer was a simple mystery switch that will lock the converter. Without a controller however you will have to remember to turn it off when coming to a stop. As mentioned BD has a Torq-loc and a Tow-loc controller. They arent inexpensive but work automatically with an EB.

Dusty
Old 07-17-2005, 02:45 AM

Thanks for the info guys. When I get set to order the tranny I'll let Dave know my intentions. Next the I gotta research is which brake now.

Quick Reply: Auto and Exhaust brake