Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Attn: nv4500 rebuilders

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: nv4500 rebuilders

I've bought a 'spare' nv4500, that needs 3rd gear syncros... I've started tearing it down, and honestly that's the only thing I can find wrong with it- came from a 2001 Dodge 2500 with a V10 (same part# as a Diesel) supposed to be around 80k miles, was taken out because 3rd gear syncros were bad (scratches going into 3rd)

it has the updated 5th gear nut- I don't tow more than 10k Lbs, and when I do tow, I'm never in 5th under 1700 rpms...

my question is, should I replace seals & bearings, even if they appear like new? it seems like all I'd need to replace is just the 3rd gear syncro (I know where I can order just the 3-4 syncros, for $19), and put it in... but I have to get the special tools to remove the mainshaft, regardless...

this is a spare- I have the same issue with my current transmission (I don't know why people are so hard on 3rd gear).. I plan on fixing the transmission currently in the truck after it's out as time permits, so I have a good spare again...

will put a filter kit, and put new fluid in it of course- and upgrade the clutch & pilot bearing at the same time.. but is it worth replacing what seem to be perfectly good bearings, just "while it's out", and then having to worry if I shimmed it correctly, to get the endplay & preload right?
I'm getting lilke 2-2.5 thousands endplay on the mainshaft and countershaft with these bearings...

thanks in advance,

p.s. this 12v IS modified- just plate & AFC work- but since it started as a 215hp model, I'm think I'm over 700 Ft/Lbs already- since the stock clutch WON'T hold it- I even backed off the plate, and it still won't hold..

Gary
Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 PM

If the bearings you remove show no indication of metallic particles in the races or roller surfaces, then just replace the seals - but, if the synchro is chewed, you'll likely find the particles in the bearings, particularly the countershaft bearings.

You'll know for sure when you tear into it - but replace both seals either way.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Banned

I agree, if a synchro is chewed up the material had to go somewhere, and it likely went through some bearings after it got into the fluid.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lunyfringe
I've bought a 'spare' nv4500, that needs 3rd gear syncros... I've started tearing it down, and honestly that's the only thing I can find wrong with it- came from a 2001 Dodge 2500 with a V10 (same part# as a Diesel) supposed to be around 80k miles, was taken out because 3rd gear syncros were bad (scratches going into 3rd)
Define "scratches"

If I don't give enough clutch to mine it will grind... is that OK?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Banned

If I was pulling the mainshaft, I would replace it with a fully splined one and a matching new 5th gear regardless of it having been previously "fixed" or "updated".
Old 10-16-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by gmctd
If the bearings you remove show no indication of metallic particles in the races or roller surfaces, then just replace the seals - but, if the synchro is chewed, you'll likely find the particles in the bearings, particularly the countershaft bearings.

You'll know for sure when you tear into it - but replace both seals either way.
I wouldn't describe the 3rd gear syncro as "chewed", the kevlar is worn out- but there's no metal contact... the only sign of anything spread around the transmission is fine black powder that appears to be worn syncro material (kevlar).. there is a small amound of fine metal powder in the bottom of the case, what I would consider normal (probably about a cubic centimeter at the most?)

the mainshaft upgrade isn't a bad idea- Quad4x4's website says they've seen failures of the fully splined mainshaft- anybody agree, or is that maybe guys towing 25K plus? I don't use my truck for my job, and I'll have a spare transmission, I don't mind a couple days downtime, just so long as it's not breaking down alot..

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2006, 11:03 AM

i say just a new set of seals and a syncro. why waste money.