Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ATS manifold assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS manifold assembly

If I insert the end pieces into the center piece as far as they will go, is everything going to line up correctly? I assume so, but the instructions say "put the manifold together until center distances are the same, use old manifold as reference"... that makes me wonder...?

I don't have the truck or the old manifold to compare against... I'm just trying to save some money buy not having the tech at Cummins assemble the ATS manifold (especially at $92.50/hour).
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 PM

Re: ATS manifold assembly

Originally posted by CTD99
If I insert the end pieces into the center piece as far as they will go, is everything going to line up correctly? I assume so, but the instructions say "put the manifold together until center distances are the same, use old manifold as reference"... that makes me wonder...?

I don't have the truck or the old manifold to compare against... I'm just trying to save some money buy not having the tech at Cummins assemble the ATS manifold (especially at $92.50/hour).

No you have to line it up with the old 1!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
In the absence of the old manifold, measure the distance between bolt holes in the head, then tap the manifold together until your bolthole distances are right. It's a little trickier, but it'll work.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:46 PM

That figures... guess I'll have to pay them to do it.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:26 PM

I had ats powder coat mine black and they did all the assembly work. it fit like a gloove. Or maybe I just lucked out... ignorance IS bliss.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 PM

I do not have the ATS manifold, but it seemss like you could maybe bolt the sections onto the truck and see where it needs to be. bolt the center on first, then slide in one side, and bolt it up, then slide in the other side and bolt it up, then make references marks for distance, and rotation for assembly off the engine.

I may not know what the hell is going on, but from looking at the pics of it, I would ***-u-me that is waht could be done...
Old 05-11-2005, 03:56 PM

The truck is in the shop... that's the problem. I was just hoping to save a little labor charge by assembling the manifold myself before giving it to them (along with a couple other parts) to put back on the truck.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:26 PM

It's not all that hard to put together.

Put the outer ends in the freezer for an hour, and the center section out in the driveway with the sun hitting on it.

On mine, I was able to tap the ends in almost to where the edge of the machined "socket" end was flush with the outer edge of the inner section. I made one "dry" fit without the gaskets, and ran all of the top bolts in, to make it was aligned close enough. Had to make a couple of adjustments. After that, put it on, using the gaskets. I still had to tap on one end to get it right, while on the truck, to start 2 of the bolts. No biggie. Using the old manifold is only a giude anyhow, if yours shrunk like mine did.

You can see pics of it on my truck, over at the TDR, in the readers rigs. I go by the same username over there.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:07 PM

I work for Mack Truck Powertrain and when we assemble the manifolds before install. We grease the the end sections to allow it to be adjusted easily when installing. I dont think the grease is special just a brownish grease burns off quick and seals the pieces till the heat expands them.
Joe
Now if I could just get some of those big turbos to work for me
Old 05-11-2005, 10:43 PM

The tech should not charge too much if any at all to do this service. I am a master volvo tech and I would not charge for such a task.. just my thoughts.

P.s. Put it together and then tell the tech you tried. This will show the tech that are trying to help. He might not charge at all.