Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ATP Wrap factory tour with my Quad Cab Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATP Wrap factory tour with my Quad Cab Diesel

In 2003 I visited ATP Wrap located in Santa Ana, Ca. I had the full Quiet Kit Wrap system installed. I remember Tim Thompson, the company President, giving me a tour of the company; Tim’s company had been working on heat and sound isolation for 35 years.

I originally thought that the President of ATP Wrap was a Dodge advocate, supplying systems to quiet these monsters a main application of his business, in fact it is a very small percentage of his operation and business.

Back in 2003, I recall that one of his other products he manufactured was heat shielding for the Dodge Vipers and race vehicles. Not anymore! Although Tim still produces these products, his current fascination is a contract for the US Coast Guard. Tim “Wraps” the exhaust system on their 87-foot cruisers as well as other ships. Tim has one of the 87’ exhaust systems being held up by chains on two hoists. These exhaust systems are huge, the size of a large dinning room table, and at 1500 degrees turn cherry red when in use. ATP HYBRID System Wraps’ the Patrol boats exhaust system and allows it to meet their missions in a cooler more personnel friendly environment in the engine room.

As for my Dodge, besides keeping the cab and outside noise much quieter, what I like about this system is that it keeps the heat out of the engine compartment. Heat is the hobgoblin to electrical wiring. My wiring is like new next to the turbo, the exhaust manifold and throughout the engine compartment because there is no heat to speak of.

What brought this all up is that I recently installed a Pac brake, and the ATP quiet kit outlet elbow needed to be modified to accommodate the brake mechanism. So I called the company and spoke with Roberto, one of ATP Wrap’s design engineers. He said that there would be no charge for the modification and to just call first and that I could come anytime. He thought the modification should take about and hour.

Upon arrival at ATP, Tim greeted me again, he greeted me as if we were an old friends. After insuring the task of modifying my exhaust blanket would be completed, Tim once again gave me a tour of his facility and updated me on their progress of expansion. Tim explained that the company would like to move to a larger facility to accommodate the Coast Guard Contract. He is currently in the process of securing a much larger facility nearby.

After the modification was complete, Tim had two helpers install the exhaust blanket at no charge. The exhaust blanket is perhaps the most difficult to install because the 4 inch exhaust comes very close to the firewall making it a two man job. One man pushes while the other pulls. I asked one of them how long he had worked for Tim and he answered “15 years.” I got the feeling that it was a very good place to work and the employee’s show immense pride in what they do and have great loyalty to their boss.

In addition to the wonderful products and good service if you are fortunate enough to ever visit their location, ATP installs a cool little plaque they rivet to each of the various blankets with your personal or company name inscribed to personalize their products for the end user.

I am in no way associated with ATP Wrap. I am just a very happy customer that has the time to write something nice about a personal experience. This is my way of showing my appreciation for a great product but more importantly great customer service.

Here is the link to their website. http://atpwrap.com/home.htm
Old 04-06-2007, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been to Tim's facility, too. I had my 2001 RAM 3500 wrapped by him back in 2002 and LOVED the results, particularly since the ISBs are so darn noisy to begin with.

When I got rid of my 2001 truck, I kept the blankets. I bought a 2003, so I sold off the turbo wrap and underhood mats, and retained the oilpan and valve covers, which Tim said should fit just fine (and they did). I also purchased the new underhood mat to go with it, and decided to forego the turbo one because I didn't want to deal with trying to install it myself, since I don't live anywhere near his factory.

Now I'm getting a 2005 truck that'll be here in about ten days, and I plan on putting those pieces on it just like I had on the 2003.

Rob