Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ARP studs and valve covers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARP studs and valve covers...

Does anyone have any pics they can post of their custom modified valve covers for the ARP studs on the rockers? I know I can just grind on them some but I would rather just dent the valve covers if I can get away with that. Please post up if ya got any pics or advice.

Thanks, Joe
Old 02-22-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both my 12v and 24v had aluminum covers (no denting)
Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 AM

i wouldn't try denting cast aluminum. i used a 1 " endmill and spot faced the covers for clearance.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:27 AM

I called ARP about the clearance issue.......it was funny because he said it was the first they had heard of clearance issues.

Anyway, he told me on the rocker blocks, I could leave out the washer, and grind away the stud. I found that if I slowly ground the stud (fine thread end) just enough to completely lose the allen head recess, it was enough to where the valve covers didn't touch at all. I didn't have access to anything that would allow me to grind the covers themselves.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 PM

I too used an end mill to clearance the valve cover, but found I still had a clearance issue with the nut touching the valve cover. I thought about just not using the washer on the studs going through the rocker arm pedestal, but decided to mill the pedestal just enough to clear the valve cover. I will see if I have a pic I can post, or if there is one in my Webshots album.

Cam
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 PM

Jeez, milling the pedistal seems kind of sketchy. How thick are the valve covers, I would think that just clearancing them with an endmill would almost break through the cover. Please get those pics I would like to see how some of you guys did yours.

Thanks, keep 'em comin'

Joe
Old 02-22-2006, 02:47 PM

You dont need an endmill or anything fancy like that all I used was a die grinder and a carbide bur all you need to do is take out the 1/8" or so that is in the lines if you look at the cover you will know what Im talkin bout.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 PM

I milled out the ribs in the valve cover, ground the stud until it was even with the top of the nut and still had clearance issues. The easy solution would have been to not use the washer under the nut, but I never seem to take the easy way out so I milled the top rocker pedestal where the stud comes through (.125" if I recall correctly). I will take a couple of pics this evening of both the valve cover and the rocker pedestal.

Cam
Old 02-22-2006, 05:54 PM

Definately get those pics Cam.

But I think I am confused as to where everyone is grinding/modifying their covers. After reading some other ARP posts, am I grinding on the inside top of the cover and on the rib that was cast into it to go around the bolt? It seems some need to grind the inside of the cover and others are getting away with grinding the rib away some. Is it the nut that I am clearancing for? If the stud is too long, how much more can I bottom tap the rocker stud holes in the block without hurting the block? Man, some pics would clear this confusion right up...

Joe
Old 02-22-2006, 08:50 PM

I had clearance problems at the very front of the cover and I ended up grinding more than i had to, about 5/8 is what notched out. I end not haveing the cover quite seated right
Old 02-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Was looking at my covers last night and I could see where the stud could interfere, but am I grinding on the outside of the covers where the stud is in between each cover? I guess the stud is taller than expected and I need to grind away some of the outside of the cover to make them sit and seal properly not to mention the ones on the rocker pedistals??

Pics, man, pics.....

Joe
Old 02-23-2006, 10:37 AM

No need to grind anything on the outside of the covers. You either grind the inside reinforcement ribs inside the covers, or install the studs in the pedestals w/o washers, and grind the stud down to clear.

Waylan
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 AM

Uploaded pics last night, but they are still not showing up. I don't know what the deal is, if they still aren't up buy the end of the day I will post them on my webshots gallery.

Cam
Old 02-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by walexa
No need to grind anything on the outside of the covers. You either grind the inside reinforcement ribs inside the covers, or install the studs in the pedestals w/o washers, and grind the stud down to clear.

Waylan
How much grinding/material do I need to take off of each of the 6 long studs on the pedistals? I was comparing the length of the studs to the old bolts and the studs are about 0.75" longer than the bolts, is a 0.25" grinded off the top of each stud going to clear?

The ribs on the inside top of the covers is what your refering to correct? Nothing on the inside sides of the cover needs to be grinded away?

Thanks, Joe
Old 02-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Radcam
Uploaded pics last night, but they are still not showing up. I don't know what the deal is, if they still aren't up buy the end of the day I will post them on my webshots gallery.

Cam
Yeah, if they don't load up, post a link to your webshots gallery or just send them to my e-mail if you could E-mail link

Thanks, Joe

Quick Reply: ARP studs and valve covers...