Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ARB Air Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Air Lockers

I was wondering if anyone has installed air lockers in their truck. Any experiences with other lockers, good or bad? Im changing my gears up to 4:10 and figured if I'm going to do it then when I do the gears it would be a good time to do the lockers as well. Lastly, anyone know the axleshaft spline count for the front and rear, 30,32,35? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:00 AM

Re:ARB Air Lockers

I am pretty sure that it is 35 but check out www.dodgeram.org There is alot of useful information there.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:30 PM

I have set them up before in my off road rig. I am in the same situation. I want to wait until the electric locker from detroit and eaton are out. I have an air system that should be here sometime next week. It allows me to have a york compressor on top of the alternator. So i will have an air system, but i think the electric lockers are better. The air locker is a pretty hard setup. It takes a long time to install. If you have never done it, it will make for a long day. Plan on around 6 hours an axle. If you have alot of knowledge setting up the backlash and getting the right marks, you should be ok. If you dont know how to do the backlash and dont know where to run the air line through the axle housing, I recommend having someone else do it. It sounds like you know how to set up gears though, so you should be capable of doing it. The instructions are fairly easy to follow. Let me know where you put your switches for the lockers inside the cab. I may put on an air locker in the front if I dont find any info when the eaton elocker will be ready for the dana 60. I dont know where i should put my switches.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:34 PM

I also forgot to ask you what rear axle you have. I have the dana 80 in the rear and I know it has 35 spline axleshafts. I dont know if you have the 70 or dana 80.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:12 PM

I run ARB's in the front and back of my 83 1 ton mud truck. They have been in for 6 years now and are one of the best things I ever did. They are no different then setting up any other rear end other then you have to put the air line it. They do use 1 speacial carrier bearing also, but that is no big deal. It deffinately gives you the best of both worlds, full lock and full open. Only thing is, if you lock the front, just plan on going straight ;D<br><br>If you install them wrong they can be a pain, I have seen a truck with them in that the compressor would kick on every 30-45 seconds to keep pressure. I asked him what was going on, he said he had a pro install them and that was normal Didn't have the hart to tell him that mine will hold pressure for prorably close to 1 hour before the compressor kicks back in, guess I am better then his &quot;PRO&quot;.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:40 PM

[quote author=ridofpwrstroke link=board=7;threadid=6762;start=0#64116 date=1036784077]<br>I also forgot to ask you what rear axle you have. I have the dana 80 in the rear and I know it has 35 spline axleshafts. I dont know if you have the 70 or dana 80.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Both the 70's and the 80's have 35 spline shafts, the 60 fronts are a 30 spline.<br><br>Later, Rob
Old 11-08-2002, 07:45 PM

I run an Auburn Pro series in my other ride. I have abused it alot and it works perfectly. Hooks very hard, but will also turn a pretty tight radius without chirping.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the famed Detroit Locker in the rear of a daily driver/trail rig and loved it. I used the Soflocker version...more street friendly. So, if it was me I'd use a Detroit in the rear and the ARB in the front.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:14 AM

The only reason that I heard not to run a detroit in the rear is in case you pull alot. The detroit binds up alot and with a 5er on the back you can even break a 35 spline shaft. It also jerks quite a bit when you have a load on.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:05 PM

If you are going to run a ARB in the front you might just as well put one in the back also. The price difference from a ARB to a Detroit is minimal as long as you already have the compressor.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:13 PM
j

i had arb's in my jeep tj and they are absolutely awesome!!. the fuction just like a spool when engaged, but are very driveable when not engaged. detroit's are also very good lockers, but if you tow, i would recommend not getting detroits. even the detroit softlocker is quirky when towing, but for offroading they're great.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:28 PM

I run ARB lockers in my Land Cruiser. The MOST import part of the install is the quality of the install. Most failures are due to improper install.<br><br>Charles