Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone using off road diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using off road diesel

I was wondering if anyone is using off road fuel. Are there any draw backs, benefits. Diesel just got to 4 a gallon here and I dont like that at all. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM

No benefits really with using off road, but the drawbacks are getting a hefty fine for off road fuel in a on road truck.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that would be illegal but have used ot on ranch trucks
Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 PM

I was wondering the same thing any advice would be apperciated???

Disclaimer "THIS IS FOR A FARM USE ONLY VEHICLE NOT ON ROAD USE IT IS NOT TAGGED"

Oh and it is a 24 valve 01
Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Exclamation

ya thats the biggest part, DON'T GET CAUGHT WITH IT!!! If you do run it stay away from farm sales or big pull events. You never know when a cop or DOT might pull in and test your fuel. And one other thing do not run farm fuel in new 08 engines unless you now it's the ULS ultra low sulfur. It does bad things to injectors and DPFs. Trust me I've seen it in a couple semis that came into my shop for repair due to low power and would not regen.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 PM

The only draw back is on the newer trucks the injectors get messed up, but i ran it for years (at least 3yrs. or more) and it didn't hurt my truck and my dad runs it in his 02.. even my buddies 05 dmax can run it but 6.0 fords can't haha! ... hell we ran it for years in our dump trucks until DOT really got **** about it and the fines sky rocket.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM

thanks for the input. Im gonna be buying me some. Its a alot cheaper than the on road up here in connecticut
Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM

my 24v did great with it...i ran it for about 2 yrs...until the supply ran out..only thing was...it will clog your filter up bad..the die has the higher sulfer in it..and that is what makes the filter black after about 5-10K...same power as any other fuel...its the same stuff...just colored,,i know for a fact because it used to mix it for the tanker trucks...just be carefull running it...you might get fined...and a farm tag does not mean you can run it either...just to another way to show we are getting the shaft by the gov...* red die...how gay!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ulsd dyed red is available, we buy 2000 gal/month of it at work,
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

fine is 10K for finding you using it, then 1K per gal they find. THat was from the guy we buy fuel from in Philadelphia for my ship. but its so tempting.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM

yeah same here, i want to use it but its only like 20 cents cheaper and its illegal. i know when they have rodeos around here they check ur tank at these events. also red diesel attracks WATER more than clear diesel.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Its illegal, the one time you get caught it wont be worth it, the fine varies from state to state but its high. I have had my tank probed in semis sitting in line at the elevator before they arent as strict on pickups as they are on class 7 or 8 trucks but they can probe you anytime anywhere. If you are using it I hope your not just pumping it straight into your truck at the pump, my cousin used to work at the local station here and they told her to call the DOT if she ever saw anyone pump off road into a vehicle and they had their phone # right there by the phone. Your supposed to pump it into a transfer tank or into farm machinery granted most people who work at these places wont know the difference. Its also probably not to smart to be publicly broadcasting the fact that your doing something illegal here on the internet for everyone to see. Their have been dozens of other guys post the same question here, personally to me the one time you get caught its just not worth it
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM

Don't use it unless the truck is an actual farm truck. Period...

Edit: Forgot to mention, once you use a tank of dyed diesel, all the #2 you put in the tank afterwards will be dyed too. I'm not sure how many tanks it takes to clear it up.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Something like 8 tanks is what I was told by a friend who is a DOT officer, but it varies due to tank shape, driver fueling habits, and refinery dye concentration.

#2 fuel is #2 fuel- the only difference is the dye..... and the lack of road taxes, which is why it for off road use.....
You'll see ULS #2 for off road more in the future, but since there are no emissions requirements for farm equipment..... yet..... it's going to take longer to become prevalent. Not saying it's not available, just that it's harder to find that LS#2.

Don't forget, if the DOT catches you with dyed fuel, they're likely not only going to fine you for that, but find anything they can to fine you for too!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM

also not mentioned is that if u run red dye you better changer your own fuel filters and best if you change your own oil too, any shop that pulls a fuel filter dyed red is required to report it. here in cal the difference is huge but the fines are huge too. last i checked the fine would be more then my trucks worth and im out in the area that they check alot so i cant afford to risk it. now ill let u in on this, if you want to be slick about it get an external tank with a pump set up the fuel like tractors and set it up with a internal pump to feed to ur truck, not the tank, i second direct fuel line, keep normal diesel in ur tank and red dye in the external, they cought on to that here and check for fuel lines and sometimes even pull ur filter on the spot to check so its still a huge risk.

Quick Reply: Anyone using off road diesel