Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone running dual Optimas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the Reds here
Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Exide Spiral wound (same as Optimas) and am going to take them from my 2001 and put them in my 2006 when I get it. Take the 2006 batteries, and put them in my 2001.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:53 AM

Dual Red's...make it real nice listening to the radio when I'm out working somewhere, knowing it will start up later

Truck sat for about 2 weeks with the dome lights on last month...batteries were completly dead! Put them on high charge for about 2 hours, and they were fine!

Chris
Old 07-05-2006, 08:12 AM

Angry Optima Warning

I had two of the Red Tops and my employee left the running lights on from the end of work till the next morning. Once you drain these batteries down they will never take a full charge again and then you buy new batteries. This was a quote from the battery guy who sold them to me. They are way to much for a battery that only lets you make a mistake once.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by LRPRacer
I had two of the Red Tops and my employee left the running lights on from the end of work till the next morning. Once you drain these batteries down they will never take a full charge again and then you buy new batteries. This was a quote from the battery guy who sold them to me. They are way to much for a battery that only lets you make a mistake once.
Probably becaues he wanted to sell you the higher optimas, which are rated to be drained and recharged completely... Never taking a full charge is going a little extreme, they dont just "die", more like the first time they are 99% capacity, next complete drain 97% capacity, etc. Takes a many times to completly kill them, just like a regular car battery.

He was probably mentally comparing them to the optima yellows, which can be drained and recharged hundreds of times with no problems.. Compared to the yellows, they dont last at all when drained, yes.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 AM

When it comes from the battery guy you have to wonder if maybe he makes more on his other batteries?

I have 4 red tops right now.......1 in my boat that has been run completely down more than once, 1 in my dodge diesel ( I had 2 but added a vegetable oil kit to my truck and needed the 2nd battery location for heat exchangers, and so far have been getting by fine with one 34-78 red top), the other red top went to my RV, and has been run down once, and the last is on my 4-wheeler since 2002........and has been run very low several times winching. The one on the 4-wheeler has now sat over a year w/o use and still shows 12.6 volts. Anyway, I have never had a single propblem with any of the red tops. I have, however, gone through several deep cycle batteries in my boat......I can't seem to get much more than 18 months out of one.

Waylan

Oh yeah, an additional reason I went to red tops in my truck is that the previous owner of my truck had let a battery boil over and do some paint damage......this is never a possibility with the optimas. I have seen other dodge cummins trucks like this as well......with battery acid damage.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM

The thing with Optimas is you CAN'T USE A TRICKLE CHARGER....you really have to ZAP them to bring them back to life.

Like I said earlier, mine died completely! I put them on a 60 amp charge for 2 hours, then on a 40 amp charge for another 2 hours. They are fine today, and have started perfectly since then.

Chris
Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 AM

What model number red tops are you guys using? I was told that they did not have one that would match up to my truck and that I would need to modify my battery trays if I did use one but he could not tell me what I specificaly would need to do to the trays.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 AM

Mine are 34-72's I think, dual posts.

Chris
Old 07-05-2006, 03:09 PM

Dual Reds here too. But I swear the grid heaters take longer to cycle than with flooded cell batteries. Still, I like them. No acid spills.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM

I loved my yellow tops, I think they lasted about 5 years of abuse. 3 years before I even had the truck. I run a single odysee now (this thing rocks too).
Old 07-05-2006, 04:54 PM

5 1/2 years on dual red tops here. Even after my alternator took a dump and left the dome light on for a week at a time .

6 amp charge overnight brought it back from the dead ................3 times.

...................Jim
Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 PM

That's simply not true. I have 2 of the yellow tops. One was discharged (< 3v) for a year. A 2-hour 60amp charge brought it to life and it's working fine as a single in my low-compression '98. The other battery sits for a month at a time in the Jeep and it starts right off. It sat charged for 9 months until I put it in the Jeep and the Jeep fired it up. I'm impressed!

brandon.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Once you drain these batteries down they will never take a full charge again and then you buy new batteries. This was a quote from the battery guy who sold them to me. They are way to much for a battery that only lets you make a mistake once.
I've ran my redtops down to nothing three times in the seven years I've had them and they still crank just fine. Don't expect that much more out of them but will go with redtops again.

Here's the best testimonial--
A welder buddy has had a redtop in his portable Lincoln for five years that was dropped and half the case is missing.
Works just fine.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another pair of red tops. I don't care if they are overpriced or not. If you are as tired of cleaning corrosion off of terminals as I was, you'd pay $200/battery. They turn the starter over much faster than my OEM ones ever did.

Quick Reply: Anyone running dual Optimas?