Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone run Van Haisley's Twin disk clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone run Van Haisley's Twin disk clutch?

Looking for some scoop on Haisleys twin disk clutches.

Street Twin, Drag Twin, or Street Puller

Who runs what and whadya think??

For holding power, nothing beats multipe disks, but what's it like to drive?

How much does it slow down your shifts?

Chattering a problem?

Kevin
Old 01-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sons 94 has the twin disc in it. I drove it to Indiana pulling mine on the GN and it about wore my leg out by the time we got back. The thing certainly will not slip though.
Keith at Forest City Diesel put the SB clutch in mine when I was out in Missouri last spring. More clutch and less pedal effort too.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:19 PM

Dieseldude,
Which SBC are you compairing it to?
I run a SBC DD 3850 that can wear anyones leg out.
I would hate to drive around the 4200lb clutch on the street!

I havent personally drove a haisley DD but there are people out there that swear by them.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:38 PM

Haisley's Street Twin is a Very friendly clutch... low peddle pressure, no chatter, good holding power. It's not a pulling clutch though; it's got twin organic disks, I burned them up in 5 pulls.
I've got a street puller laying on the floor, I'll post how it turns out
andy
Old 01-10-2005, 12:39 AM

i talked to a guy the other day by the name of larry crawford he bought my injectors off me. anyway i was talking to him and asking him questions about pulling and wich clutch. he told me the best clutch he ever had was a mitchell pulling clutch, but it shakes off the start but is very streetable. he said he drove a clutch with a haisley and said it was alot smoother but it didn't compare with a mitchell. i'm sure haisley clutches are great but mitchells is cheaper ($1700) so that will be what is going in my truck
Old 01-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Muted User

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

andy, let me know how the street puller is. I suspect it would be a bit chatery, but that is what you are going to have to live with when you go with a sintered disk. And sintered is the only way to go if you sled pull and have to slip it a good distance...

How was shifting with the street twin?

Kevin
Old 01-10-2005, 06:22 AM

I have driven the street twin, I have the street drag, and I have a couple of buddies with the street puller, so hopefully I can give you a good run down.

The street twin is basically an out of the box Mcleod twin disk. It has stock-like pedal effort, is very driveable, can be slipped off the line without chatter for stock clutch like smooth starts and will hold some very good power. It is probably the most tame dual disc clutch on the market. It is NOT meant for sled pulling on heavy drag racing... just holding street power and towing only.

I run the street drag and have been VERY pleased with it. It holds all my power with no problem and has not complained a bit at my 3000 rpm launches at the drag strip. It has a beefed up pressure plate and different discs, so it is basically a street twin on steroids. The pedal effort is increased over stock, but it's not killer like some I have felt. Van Haisley sets these clutches up himself, so your quality is guaranteed. This clutch can take all the street racing, towing, and drag racing you can throw at it. Sled pulling is possible, but not reccommended.

The street puller is the main line pulling clutch without going to the big competition puller. The street puller uses iron pads so it is VERY smooth... as smooth as a street twin for engagement and driveability. The pedal is a little stiffer yet, and you can hear the discs grab with a screech every time you let the clutch out. This clutch will survive in the most extreme environments of pulling and drag racing a steet truck will ever throw at it.

Unlike some dual discs, my haisley street drag shifts very quick... no waiting on the syncros to catch up for me. I can get it into any gear at any time, too. I have talked to guys with other brands who have told me that they couldn't get their truck in a gear no matter how hard they tried..... not for me. Like all duals they do make the rattle at idle, but that's an impossible noise to stop without a sprung hub (no room in a dual setup). Van Haisley will also stand behind his product as well as anyone else in the market, and he's one of the nicest guys at the pulls you'll meet.

John
Old 01-10-2005, 11:18 AM

I have a SBC 3850. Its a great clutch. Just yester day I hauled 6 loads of 18 round bales backing into and out of spots like nothing. Its true mine shifts a little slower than stock abd I increased the length of the slave rod and it help out a Lot.
My next clutch will be a SBC
DM01
Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by halerazor
i talked to a guy the other day by the name of larry crawford he bought my injectors off me. anyway i was talking to him and asking him questions about pulling and wich clutch. he told me the best clutch he ever had was a mitchell pulling clutch, but it shakes off the start but is very streetable. he said he drove a clutch with a haisley and said it was alot smoother but it didn't compare with a mitchell. i'm sure haisley clutches are great but mitchells is cheaper ($1700) so that will be what is going in my truck

I was calling both places about a month ago and it turned out that the Haisleys was actually cheaper in my situation. I don't have a core fly wheel so they said either I have to find a used one that will work or they would have to buy a brand new one from cummins which was almost 600 I then talked to Haisleys and there was no core and there's is SFI approved where they enterprise unit used the stock flywheel and wasn't SFI. I would really like to go with the enterpise from all the good things I hear on here and the TDR but the core charge and the non-SFI leaves alot to be desired!!!

Ryan
Old 01-10-2005, 05:32 PM

Kevin,
Shifting was quick with the street twin (5 speed). I also ran the Mitchell twin-disk for about a year in my old truck. It was much grabbier than the Haisley Street twin, which is to be expected though. The Mitchell never slipped, but I did crack the floater plate after about 7 pulls. Enterprise sent me a new one at no charge except shipping. The Haisley shifted about twice as fast as the Mitchell on the street. Hopefully on my new truck, the Haisley street puller will be the end of my previous clutch problems

Andy
Old 01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Muted User

Most excellent. This is essentially what I was expecting to hear. I have been decided on a twin disk for some time now. I have found some information on the web which has made me pay no attention whatsoever to the South Bend Clutches particularly their twin, so naturally it came down to the Mitchell or Haisley. Certainly the Mitchell DD is a miraculous pulling clutch, but 99%+ of the time spent in the truck is on the street annoying yuppies and ricers, with .9% pulling the race trailer, and about .1% with the occasional fairground hook. Sounds like a Haisley drag twin is goin in the rig.

As I understand it, these clutches would work fine in a pulling application as long as one does not do the high RPM long slip time launces like in 5th low or 2nd high. Once its locked up, I am sure it doesnt care whether you are pulling a sled or pulling the GN, torque is torque, its the long slip time of a 'road gear' sled pull start that burns it up.

Kevin
Old 01-11-2005, 03:14 PM

I would put any SBC DD over anyother DD. they mabye hade some growing pains with the first DD clutches but everybody I know of that had problems with the first one were given new upgraded ones free... shipping included. Idon't have to say it but next year I can prove it. Best thing about my clutch is how streetable it is for a DD. I had the first vershion and burnt it up. well not really the metal in the fly wheel was too hard and the pucks on the clutch disc would not bite into the flywheel. I slipped the clutch for 240ft starting out in 2nd high 4x4 at 4300 rpms. it finally hooked hard at 240ft. The new vershion has a insert in the flywheel that makes it softer so the pucks can grab it and it also makes the clutch better to drive on the road and when backing trailers. This also makes it easier to rebuild the clutch because you don't have to take the flywheel off the truck. just pop out the insert and put a new one in.
the mcleod or Haisley clutch is the only clutch I would bye.
DM01
Old 01-11-2005, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by 600 Megawatts
I have found some information on the web which has made me pay no attention whatsoever to the South Bend Clutches particularly their twin, so naturally it came down to the Mitchell or Haisley.
You have me curious now. Could you PM me the info you found?

brandon.