Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone run SuperMentals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone run SuperMentals?

For those of you who do...is your idle pretty rough and shuddery? How many miles do you have on them? and have they caused any failures to any drive train parts IE:Burned pistons?headgasket?VP-44?Lift/transfer pumps? How about a drop in fuel mileage? Some say that these are RACE/PULL injectors ONLY, but i beg to differ, other than a rough idle, i think they are wonderful injectors.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:59 AM

I ran them for a long time, and dad has them in '02, too. I loved them and still think that they're one of the best injectors for that HP level... EDMs included. Mine did have somewhat of a choppy idle, especially when it was really hot (i.e. after I beat it!), but I always liked the way it sounded. I never had a problem with the VP or HG, but it took me a while to find a good LP solution... I don't think of that as the injector's fault, though. They are definitely worth it... especially for what they cost now.

John
Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 AM

I ran them for about 2 years, make sure you run a fuel additive through them. They seem to start to run like dd2's if you don't. I liked the smoke and the lope they had. I would not run them with a stock turbo. I didn't see a turbo size in your picture. I ran these injectors with a PDR 40, and could still hit 1500+ in about 9-10 seconds, with comp on kill. I prefer the formula 1 edm's that I have now over the supermentals.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Banned

Stock 35 here...with the pulse plugged in like an EZ...i have yet to see above 1300 on a long pull....

CDRAM:What do you mean run like DD2's? In what way?So, you all say it's ok to have the choppy idle,no harm in that? ---Diesel Dynamics said no no no to daily driver, i was like huh?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Banned

There are guys running Mach 6's on their daily drivers and they are supposed to be "race only" injectors. I wouldn't think twice about running them on the street.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:54 AM

What I ment was, in the case of my truck, if you didn't run an additive, your injectors would feel like they lost some of the mid range grunt. My super-mentals only made 16 more h.p. on the dyno-jet than my dd2's, but they felt alot stronger on the mid-range and top-end than my dd2's, seat of the pants anyways. DD2's to me , with my truck and mods, felt alot stronger down low in the r.p.m.s, but would fall off quicker. This is what I would see if I didn't run additive with the super-mentals. 1300 degrees isn't that bad, are you pre-turbo or post, that would make a huge difference on a long pull. I saw a truck that had just come from South Dakota, he had a comp, super-mentals, and a stock hy-9. He said it runs cool, about 1200 degrees. His egt probe was mounted post turbo. The turbo compressor housing had turned dark brown, the boots were the size of volley-*****, the hood insulation had caught fire, and the exhaust manifold was blued so bad. He also had this terrible knock in the motor. He had to replace his motor. Number 6 cylinder cracked, pistons bad, all valve guides bad. Moral of story, he needed more air for his set-up, and 1200 degrees post can equal to 1500 to 1600 degrees pre-turbo, and he ran like this continuous, from South Dakota, puilling a trailer, with comp on kill.