Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone run a Luk Pro Gold with any luck

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone run a Luk Pro Gold with any luck

Like the title says anyone with any luck. My 95 started to slip the clutch over the holidays and needs a replacement. I know most will recomend the South Bend I dont think I really need one yet at my power level. My power enhancements are done for the next four years. All I need is for something to keep her going till I do a frame of rebuild and then resume the bombing at that point. My mods are in my sig and I dought that I have broken 300 HP. Money is an issue at this point as I should be moving in the next couple months. I also would like to maintain towing ability so the truck can be a back up for the new one. I spent 2 hours reading the archives and I am not sure what to think. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:26 AM

I have one, it is what the truck had in it when I bought it. For now I have been having pretty good luck. I know that is how it is going to be until I start to pull with it, but just for daily driving it seems to be a pretty good clutch.

Rick
Old 07-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks Rick. Any other experiences here? I was hoping for more than one opinion to base a decision on.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:36 PM

i had really good luck w/a pro-gold in my 97', I was running a 100 plate forward & a set of 300hp sticks & dodgezilla & never slipped it???? I really liked mine for the $, maybe you just got a bad one, or something else may have started the slipping, (oil, fuel, etc.???) hard to tell, could just be alot higher hp than you think LOL?????? good luck, Dusty
Old 07-08-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hauled cars with it for a good number of miles. Only dumped it when I went to a six speed. It was a good clutch.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by robert chilton
Thanks Rick. Any other experiences here? I was hoping for more than one opinion to base a decision on.

I had that clutch

on my old IDI, I had no issues with it, but at probably at best 160 RWHP and probably just under 350 ft lbs at the wheels, well i couldnt slip it for the life of me... For what i paid for it, well it was a great clutch...

ON the dodge ive had stock and centerforce, AVOID centerforce at all costs, Stockers will hold much better than the centerforce does on the low end...

Why not go Valair Inc? (type in dodge ceramic clutch on ebay search) they are cheaper and DO HOLD...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...Ceramic+clutch

Rick
Old 07-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks guys. Yall put my mind to rest.
Dusty, I have no idea whats in the truck. It may be the original for all I know. It has worked for 10-15K that I have owned the truck and has actually stood up to a decent amount of abuse. I think that it is just tired and I pushed it a little to far. It didnt start to slip till I added the dodgezilla turbo with the 12cm housing. After a week with this turbo she would start to slip with 25+ lbs of boost. The 6 plate has been in there for a couple months along with the 215 injectors. Do you think my 175HP pump is really pushing me over 300HP? I havnt even swapped out the 131 DV's yet.
TX, I looked at volairs web site last night but it didnt really have anything listed or prices that I could see. I dont want a ceramic clutch. Just the cheapest quality clutch I can get that will hold my engines power for a couple of years with good manors. I spend way to much time stop and go to deal with something real grabby. Not to mention the Luk is available locally for about $100 cheaper than the smallest South Bend.
Haulin, I am glad that you had good luck with this clutch hauling cars. A big 5vr may be in the near future. The 04 will be the tow vehicle for it but I want to be able to use the 95 when or if it is needed. Nothing better than having a back up tow vehicle.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:47 PM

Good choices.... as for ceramic
Old 07-08-2006, 11:31 PM

dunno bout the hp w/the 131's, didn't notice it was a 95' until you mentioned it, I have a set of stock 131's here that are in desperate need of some laser cutting, after a set of those from J.R. I'd say you should be over the 300hp mark & maybe then some??? my only reason for ditching the LUK in my 97' was I also went to a 6 spd., but I will say that the LUK took some serious abuse while it was in there, lots of loaded miles as well as unloaded "playing", I wouldn't be a bit afraid to run another one if I had a 5 spd. truck,I believe there are a few guys over 400hp on a Pro-Gold??? maybe they're just lucky, but I think I read that on here awhile back????, either way LUK or South Bend you can't go wrong in my opinion!!!, Dusty
Old 07-12-2006, 10:46 PM

Well I was hoping to get the clutch local so that I could replace it easier if there was a problem. That didnt work out to well. I saw mention of a place named Dialaclutch.com in the archives. Great price and awesome people to deal with. The new clutch was sitting on my door step the next day.
I have a new rear main seal on order from cummins that will be in friday. Hopefully this or next weekend I will have time to slid it into the truck. I miss making more than 20 PSI of boost
Dusty, what kind of power do you think I can pull down by installing a set of 181 DVs? Power is great now and this was the last mod I was kicking around.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 AM

not really sure about the 181's, I never got to dyno my old 97'???? I know it's a huge jump when you go to a set of laser cut's, talk to chris (signature600) I think he played with some 181's or 191's in his 95' before going to a set of laser cuts, & I know he dyno'd his truck a couple times before the laser cuts, not sure if he ever dyno'd it afterwards or not, but you may give him a shout & find the info. you're after, sorry I couldn't help more with numbers, but I hate to go throwing guesses around when there's so many guys around here that have dyno proven #'s, I think I may have seen some 181's in the clasifieds on here too?? let us know how the clutch works out, Dusty