Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone ever use "trans-tune"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever use "trans-tune"?

I finally bought a transmission filter kit today at NAPA. They even had the Lube Guard for the tranny that I will mix with the wally world Dexron III I'm going to use.

I plan to flush the system as best possible, by disconnecting the trans cooling line after it comes from the radiator, and letting the trans pump the fluid into a bucket while watching for the color to change denoting new fluid. I understand to drop the pan and change the filter and gasket first.

the guy at Napa recommended adding 1/3 can of this Sea Foam Trans Tune before I drain the tranny and adding the rest to the new fluid.

Anybody ever use this product? I am not so sure I want to loosen up any more "gums and varnish" than will happen by cleaning the pan with brake cleaner and flushing the old fluid out.

This stuff might be best left on a shelf or returned. Any pros or cons?

I saw the tip on another thread about looking for a drain valve on an aftermarket Torque Converter, and appreciate that idea. I bought the truck used and it was fully bombed. It is one powerful pulling beast; bound to have a tweaked tranny & TC.

Thanks for any advice on whether to use this stuff or not.

lester

1995 2500 SLT extyended cab 4x4 auto
Banks Power Pack, exhaust brake, guages, 4" Banks exhaust all the way. about 300hp
Old 12-10-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know about the Trans Tune in particular but the consensus is that any type of tranny flush products usually cause more problems than they cure.
I would skip it.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Jrr

I agree with infidel on cleaners, back in my drag racing days (early 60's) we used to add about 1/2 cup of Berryman B-12 to our beefed trannys to keep varnish and gunk from building up on the clutches and valve bodies from power braking Etc. The guys who tried this on older stock units that had not been doing it since new or rebuilt had a lot of junk in the valve bodies that usualy required teardown and rebuilding. As for the drain plugs on an after market not all have them but if you do it will take approx 16+ quarts of fluid to refill.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:47 PM

I thank you for the replies. I did not add the "stuff". I did disconnect the lines and pumped all the old trans fluid out. Took about 3 gallons to flush and replace the fluid. The process was fairly slow going, but worth it to see nice bright red fluid finally.

I've never replaced a trans filter before. I appreciate all the encouragement I get on this site, very much.