Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone ever get a bad FASS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever get a bad FASS?

I have a FASS HPFP 150 and have had nothing with trouble with it after having it for only a month. All other sources of trouble have been checked from cleaning the tank, new draw tube, new wiring harness that connects the two computers, new prefilter, new fuel filter, checked relay. When the FASS was brand new it would hum nice & loud but now she hums very weak and I can't get more than 4 psi. So how is FASS to deal with as far as waranty replacement? Thanks y'all...
Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1882
I have a FASS HPFP 150 and have had nothing with trouble with it after having it for only a month. All other sources of trouble have been checked from cleaning the tank, new draw tube, new wiring harness that connects the two computers, new prefilter, new fuel filter, checked relay. When the FASS was brand new it would hum nice & loud but now she hums very weak and I can't get more than 4 psi. So how is FASS to deal with as far as waranty replacement? Thanks y'all...
Pm Diesel Dan, i m sure he ll get you squared away.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Fass

Do you have isolator on your truck.
My truck would start up at 20 and
go down to 5. I filled my isolator
with new antifreeze, now 17
constant. I have the Ad 150.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:16 PM

i bought mine through a dealer and i am waiting on getting my third one putt on this week the firtst two have both leaked out of the weep hole i have the fass 150 system i really hope this one works good because the two round trip to get to the dealer is realy stating to suck
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 AM

SO is that 4 PSI all the time or just at WOT? I would like to see what you are using for your gauge. If its electric, i would highly suggest that you double check it with a known working mechanical gauge. Lately i have seen numerous issues with sending units going bad causing pressure issues. Also like suggested, isolators can cause issue as well if you have one.

EDIT: I see you have JWAM......definatly double check that sending unit. If you do find that to be the issue i would suggest looking into one of these to keep it save from your VP-44: http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...l.aspx?vid=212

ALSO you are running the strainer we supplied in the kit? You might get some brake cleaner and fill it up half way and shake it up and let it back flush a few times. Just in case there was some debris that got into it.

You might also test with the 5 gallon bucket test. Actually with a HPFP you dont need that much fuel, you could be ok with a 20oz soda bottle. Just place the fuel line in the bottle of fuel and run the truck. Check your pressure at that point.

Let me know what you find....very strange a fresh pump like that is having issue.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM

I had one fail, didn't ever hear was the cause was. Got a new one no problems. But anyway still happy with it.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Dan, thanks for chiming in! Here's my dilema: I'll be driving down the road and all is fine, 20 lbs., pulls down to 15 wide open then jumps right back up. Idles at 21. After driving about an hour or more she abrubtly drops to 3,2,1,0 then she dies. Strange part is that this is only while coasting and off the pedal or when I come to a stop. I have had it checked with a mechanical gauge and it's the same scenario. It was installed by D&L Performance in Marietta, OH on 7/20 and I'm just getting around to sendinig in the warranty paperwork today because they have been in the truck and the truck has been back and forth 4 times to D&L since the install. I'll have to ask the shop about the isolator. When the FASS was new it had a very audible humm when running and now it's less than half as strong sounding of a humm which makes me think the motor may be bad? I'm running out of cash here between all the towing trips and labor mentioned in my first post trying to correct the issue. I am worried about one thing though, the date on the waranty sheet says 6/28 but the install date on the reciept from D&L says 7/20, does this mean I'm out of luck because of the 30 day window of purchase date? I'm guessing D&L purchased in on 6/28 but the install was not untill later because he was waiting on a few parts from what he said.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Dan, thanks for chiming in! Here's my dilema: I'll be driving down the road and all is fine, 20 lbs., pulls down to 15 wide open then jumps right back up. Idles at 21. After driving about an hour or more she abrubtly drops to 3,2,1,0 then she dies. Strange part is that this is only while coasting and off the pedal or when I come to a stop. I have had it checked with a mechanical gauge and it's the same scenario. It was installed by D&L Performance in Marietta, OH on 7/20 and I'm just getting around to sendinig in the warranty paperwork today because they have been in the truck and the truck has been back and forth 4 times to D&L since the install. I'll have to ask the shop about the isolator. When the FASS was new it had a very audible humm when running and now it's less than half as strong sounding of a humm which makes me think the motor may be bad? I'm running out of cash here between all the towing trips and labor mentioned in my first post trying to correct the issue. I am worried about one thing though, the date on the waranty sheet says 6/28 but the install date on the reciept from D&L says 7/20, does this mean I'm out of luck because of the 30 day window of purchase date? I'm guessing D&L purchased in on 6/28 but the install was not untill later because he was waiting on a few parts from what he said.

WE only care about 30 days from the sales slip....but we give you a tad more than that.....the wnty sheet shows the build date.

Well if you have pressure...and then all of the sudden it just stops, and then it will start back up again with no issue.....you have one of 2 things going on.

1. You pump is loosing power randomly. Loose connections are the cause of this most of the time. Bad crimps at the batt posts or loose connections at the swedge connector at the relay plug. OR the relay itself could be causing fits. Those are the most common issues that i have seen along those lines.

2. You are loosing fuel to the pump. Does this only happen with about 1/4 tank of fuel? Does it happen with a full tank of fuel? ALSO when you changed our strainer between the tank and the pump, did you use a NAPA 3270 strainer? A quiet pump could be a sign of loss of prime. If the draw tube is set too high in the tank, you could have issue with the pump sucking air prematurely. Normally we don’t recommend driving with below a 1/4 tank in your truck if you have a draw tube. The reason is due to the issue you are seeing.

Lastly....have someone from D&L call me on this. I cant recall talking to someone about your issue from there. I just want to make sure that if we send a pump its going to fix your issue.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Hey thanks Dan! Actually I just spoke with Dean Ritchie from D&L, GREAT guy do deal with by the way, he's been unreal in this whole ordeal. He said he'd give you a call to exchange ideas. I do recall him saying that I had no isolator since it is electronic, I don't know what this means? Also it happens with a full tank, doesn't seem to care about how much fuel I have. He also said that he is using the FASS draw tube and the sending unit has been bypassed. The draw tube goes to the bottom of the tank although he also advised me not to run less that 1/4 for the same reasons you mentioned. I sure hope I can get her all straightened out, I'm scared to death to take her out of the neighborhood not knowing if I'll get another towing bill to get back home.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:27 PM

Forgot to mention that it is the same inline filter you mentioned. Aslo I think you may be right on the loss of power as compared to loss of fuel. D&L pulled the tank, cleaned the tank and screen and threw in your draw tube so that end of the pump should be ok. Aslo makes me think it is losing power because of when it happens, it's slowly cruising and off the trhottle or at a stop, never has happened under load. The pump was real hot to the touch after the last time she died.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM

Dean called me a little bit ago....im flooded with calls and such..but i will get to him before the day is out. If you have not done so, get him your SN for me please. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Dan, I'm an idiot! It turned out to be that the tank was too low, I filled her up and now she's never ran better. Sorry for all the hassle, I really appreciate your attention to my dilema but it seems as if my dilema is gone for now. Here's a little something to brighten y'alls day, I just saved the little buggar's life, he was trapped between my garage's window & screen, little baby humming bird.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever get a bad FASS?-bird-004.jpg  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:36 AM

Man thats great....and that is a tiny bird! We put up a feeder at our house and thoes things will dive bomb ya! HAHA.....

Let me know if i can help any furter......
Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Dan, thanks again for all your wisdom! Sure is great to have nice folks like yourself here on the forum.