Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone In Colorado Done this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and all the molding for the cab (steering column, shifter console)

Dont get angry at me because you bought a truck with the wrong tranny
Old 08-29-2006, 04:38 PM

I'd say a 6 speed is just as possible as a 5.. people have put the 6 speeds behind 12 valves... the rear crossmember mount is different, and the drivelines are different lengths, and the input shaft is larger- but if you're taking all the parts off a donor truck, I'd say it's doable- maybe a little more difficult than a 5-speed..

granted, I haven't tried it, but 5-speed to 6-speed swaps HAVE been done
Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lunyfringe
I'd say a 6 speed is just as possible as a 5.. people have put the 6 speeds behind 12 valves... the rear crossmember mount is different, and the drivelines are different lengths, and the input shaft is larger- but if you're taking all the parts off a donor truck, I'd say it's doable- maybe a little more difficult than a 5-speed..

granted, I haven't tried it, but 5-speed to 6-speed swaps HAVE been done

Oh yeah no doubt they've been done, I'm just not positive on what is different between the 5 speed and the 6 speed besides what you noted. I'm sure you can swap a 6 speed behind the SO motors, just might take more work and honestly I like the 5 speed better

~Nick
Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Oh yeah no doubt they've been done, I'm just not positive on what is different between the 5 speed and the 6 speed besides what you noted. I'm sure you can swap a 6 speed behind the SO motors, just might take more work and honestly I like the 5 speed better

~Nick
Why the 5 speed over the 6? I've driven my friend's 3rd gen with a 6 speed and it's pretty quick...
Old 09-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
Why the 5 speed over the 6? I've driven my friend's 3rd gen with a 6 speed and it's pretty quick...
Every 6 speed I've driven just seems to be too many dang gears......1st gear is almost useless and it feels like starting out in 2nd slips the clutch. My 99 is a 5 speed and I like it WAY better than the 6 speed........

~Nick
Old 09-06-2006, 05:55 AM

Well I am sorry I didn't pick up on this thread a little sooner. I just swapped out my auto for a 5 speed a year ago and it was the BEST mod I ever made. I do have a 12 valve so things are a bit different but very doable. The short story is it took me 3 days and cost under $2000. I found a guy in Missouri parting out a truck and he sent me trans, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, master/slave cyl. The worst part was finding flywheel bolts believe it or not. Had to go to a Dodge dealer 2 hours away in the middle of the job since they were metric grade 12.9 (if I remember correctly...I had never seen such a hard bolt before). As for the ECM everyone told me that I would loose my cruise control so I figured I would swap later. After the install everything still worked great so I never swapped the ECM. PM me with questions. P.S. I ended up getting $300 for my junk automatic later on.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Chapter President

Wheelin 66..... (or anyone?)

How much work was involved in the actual swap. Any chance you could give me a list of all you swapped out and maybe a clue as to what order you did what?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Chapter President

SO, since I'm lookin at getting a wreck (most likely rolled) what are the chances that the trans will be bad? What else will I need that might have been damaged in the rollover?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
SO, since I'm lookin at getting a wreck (most likely rolled) what are the chances that the trans will be bad? What else will I need that might have been damaged in the rollover?
Anyone know?????
Old 09-07-2006, 05:51 AM

Well it was a rather lengthy process but here is what I can remember off the top of my head:

1) remove auto trans, lines, cooler (I actually have never removed my cooler, I am still waiting on a need to pull the bumper first)
2) install flywheel (remember the I couldn't find the bolts anywhere but Dodge and they socked me like $10 per bolt) clutch, pressure plate, etc.
3) swap input gear to transfer case (different gear from auto to standard). make sure there is a plug in your gear when you install it otherwise all your transfer case fluid dumps into your tranny (ruining $60 worth of trans gear lube and probably wiping out your high/low range shift fork in transfer case)...yes I learned from experience the plug did not come with my gear. rebuilding transfer case is not hard (maybe 2 hours).
4) reinstall tranfer case...you will have to modify shifter. I added something like two inches to the linkage and cut the plate a bit so it would bolt to the standard and still reach the tranfer case, time 1 hour, cost free.
5) forgot this one, before you install trans you will have to cut BIG hole in cab floor...rather scary but take your time and everything works out great. this being said you will need the shifter covers that bolt inside cab.
6) have a driveline shop shorten and lengthen two driveshafts accordingly. for the measurement I took my time measuring the auto next to the standard and used the difference, worked out perfect.
7) remove auto shift lever from column. I did not change out the steering column and it looks fine, just one small hole where the shift lever used to be. as for the indicator on the dash, I cut a small piece of black vinyl from a 3 ring binder and layed over top then reassembled dash. matches perfect and is very easy. this is what I did in college instead of homework, haha!
8) install clutch slave/master cylinder. hopefully you didn't route all of your gauge and stereo wires throught the big rubber grommet on the firewall already like I did. I spent an hour rewiring everything through a different hole since this one gets the master cylinder.
9) the pedals took some work. don't pull out the whole assembly, just the pin and the pedals. then slip your new pedals in place and re-pin. this means you don't have to pull the whole dash apart to get the pedals (a huge time savings)

Well that is most of the big stuff. Some of it is out of order as I wrote it as I thought of it. I will be on vacation next week so if you have specific questions PM me as I will probably lose sight of this post by the time I get back. It really is a fun project and as I said before it took me three days, probably about 10 hours per day (again instead of going to classes in college, haha)

It is a HUGE project but don't let it scare you. take your time, you will run into snags (mine was having to rebuild the transfer case a week later) but it will all work out and it will be the best money ever spent on your truck. I was going to trade my truck in on a standard but it worked out much cheaper for me to do it this way as I found the standard for the right price. oh yeah, when I got it from the guy there was a tag on the tranny with a rebuild date of less than one year ago and the clutch was in brand new condition. I don't reccomend reusing the clutch if you have many mods, mine slipped in 3-5th gear from day one. Hope this helps and gives you some encouragement.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 AM

forgot to tell you the driveshafts cost me somewhere between $200 and $250. I bought the input gear for the transfer case from Standard Transmission and Gear. I don't remember the cost.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Chapter President

Wheelin66....

an all who posted.....
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
I'm so glad this forum has guys like you (and gals) willing to help.

Now, this doesn't mean I want the info to stop....anyone else have the goods? Let me know!

Thanks guys!