Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anybody having the hard start problem..read

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, here's the verdict:

IT'S NOT FIXED . Yes, I stopped the hissing fuel vent, and yes, the truck runs better than ever.

But it still loses prime. It's possible that I have multiple causes of the same problem, I suppose.

I have satsified myself that the internals are sealing. There's no diesel in the crankcase, and no leaking fuel on the outside of the engine.

All my fuel plumbing from the engine back to the tank has been checked and it's snug.

Which seems to leave only the tank as a possible source of air leakage. Haven't there been posts on how some kind of fuel module problem resulted in air getting into the system?

I went ahead and bought a bulkhead setup and -8 AN socketless hose, so that's my next plan to fix this problem. If converting the tank to a bottom feed doesn't fix the problem, that I couldn't tell you what I'd even consider as my next step in troubleshooting.

If I had a bad injector, could that be the problem? If I *did* have one, wouldn't I have other problems? The engine runs great, probably better than ever. But the failure to keep prime has been baffling to me.

ANY IDEAS???

JLH
Old 03-11-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you fab a gaurd if your going to use the bottom of the tank I would hate to see a guy catch the sipgot (sp?) on something and crack the tank or lose REALLY expensive diesel

HOHN ya got that leak scared on on the run know! Should be no time till it shows it face

Jason
Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
TTT

Well, don't *I* feel like a moron!

Last week, I noticed there was fuel dripping from under the truck, and figured this had to be where I was losing prime.

So I came up with a brilliant idea: use baby powder to find out where it comes from! I doused the relevant areas with brake cleaner, and then blew it nice and dry with compressed air.

I fired up the engine and waited for leaks to show themselves. NOTHING! I had it at high idle (1800 rpm with 2x4) for 30 min and no leaks!

Then I decided that I had to *drive* the truck, as they probably would only show up under load. BINGO! Injector lines #5 and #6 were weeping a little bit. I gave them a little more torque.

This didn't fix the losing prime problem!!! DRAT!

Then I noticed a drip on the framerail where the return line met it's hardline going back to the tank. I blew it dry and found that there was a clamp missing!!! That's right, my return hose at the hardline was NOT clamped, and it slid up and down and the hardline with ease!

Now, I don't remember ever disconnecting the return line, but I'm sure I did somewhere along the line. I just forgot to reassemble it when I put it back together. Now, I KNOW no one else on here has ever done something as dumb, so I'll just eat my crow and get over it.

I've found that almost ALL the problems my truck has start with the thing sitting in the driver's seat!

The truck is FIXED! It fires up first time, every time-- uphill or down, it doesn't matter. It's just as good now as it was before I made all my "improvements"

Let's hear it for checking the obvious.

Hope this helps someone with hard starts. I've had mine for over 16 months, and I CONQUERED IT! In my case, I fixed the original cause for the hard starts, but made a new cause as I did so. Now it's ALL fixed.

Justin
Old 03-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Sounds like when you installed the maxflow you never put on the stainless steel clamp on the main line on the frame rail, Rod said it wasn't needed but I put one on anyway,, never asked scotty to ask his opinion...... glad to hear you found your problem anyway, mine is still running and starting fine from the injector hold down being loose.

Jason
Old 03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
When I installed my New Scotty lines yesterday, I used a Fuel Injection style clamp instead of a cheapie worm style.

They seem to hold better without cutting into the hose.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:40 PM

HOHN...................................... you put the gremlins back on me, my truck started hard 2 times out of the last 10..... he we go again darn injector washers I amy by new ones from dodge, even though these are new with the BD injectors

Jason