Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Any injector installation tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any injector installation tips?

I am going to put different injectors in this weekend and was wondering if there were any good tips out there to avoid any conflicts or possible problems I might have. I have a buddy who has done this before coming down from Indiana, but would like to make sure we do it right.

Any suggestions or tricks for a 24 valver? Any special wrenches that you use that make life easier?

Thanks, JWB
Old 09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned

get a good breaker bar for taking the 15mm bolts out of the rear of the head for the lifting eye (have to remove to get the #6 injector line.

-10mm for valve cover, and intake horn, 7/16" deep socket to loosen the IC boot clamp at the intake horn
-8mm for injector hold down tabs, only take out the front bolt, and the tab slides out from the rear bolt. when re-installed, torque to 80 INCH LBS
-i think 19mm or 3/4" will work on the injector line nuts
-the valve cover bolts will "pop" out of the valve cover, screw that into the top of the injector to remove and replace the injector, while using a small screwdriver to pry the cross tube out a little bit. make sure the hole on the side of the injector points to the rear drivers side of the truck where the cross tube connects.

to start it up really easy, put it all back together, tighten #2, #5 and #6 injector lines before putting the lifting eye back on. leave the #1,3,4 injector nuts cracked loose. crank the truck over for 10-12seconds until fuel leaks from those lines. tighten them down and crank it over again and it will fire up.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:25 PM

a SHORT (~5 inches long) 19mm open end wrench will help with the #6 injector line nut removal. and bandaids.

getting the valve cover out of the engine compartment takes most of your time hahaha...
Old 09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pgilles
and bandaids.
You must know me pretty well! I think that is the best advice so far!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Registered

oh heck, i pulled the injectors that im shippin to you in 30 minutes. all ya gotta do is pull the valve cover (this takes the longest) and then take the injector lines loose. then loosen the holders that fasten the lines to the engine. (makes it easier to move em)

then take a small flathead screwdriver and pull the injector tubes out about 1"

then take the caps off the top of the injectors, and stick a bolt in the top of the injector and pry it out of there with a bigger screwdriver.

easy as pie!

it, of course, goes together the same way it came apart. if ya need any help, just give me a call

and you DONT have to pull the engine mount eye at the back of the motor. thats pointless. It's just as easy to get the line loose with or with out it on the motor
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
You must know me pretty well! I think that is the best advice so far!
oh yea, they always help too...tho ive learned that heavy duty latex or the nitrile exam gloves work great for keep a good grip (rubber) and not banging up the hands. not to mention you take all the dirt and grease with it when you take them off.

as for the valve cover...the easiest way to get it out is to pop all 5 bolts out of the top first so they dont hang down inside and snag the rockers. ive had mine on and off about a dozen times this month. it gets easier everytime you pop the hood to work on it
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered

oh and you aint gotta pull the intake horn either its easier and faster to do it with it still bolted on

youll need a 19 mm wrench, 10 mm socket and an 8 mm socket and a 8mm wrench. a bolt that'll screw into the top of the injector and a coupla screwdrivers
Old 09-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackdiesel

and you DONT have to pull the engine mount eye at the back of the motor. thats pointless. It's just as easy to get the line loose with or with out it on the motor
if you have extremely small hands or very small wrench maybe...but it takes a minute to remove it and makes it 10x easier to get #6

its IMPOSSIBLE for me to get #6 with it on there because im a big ol boy, no matter what wrench i use i can not physically get to the wrench to turn it, you smaller guys have an advantage here
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

Well, my wedding ring is a 12.5, not the largest in the place, but my fingers are as fat as they are short. I'll try it first and then remove it if nesesary. Any reason to put it back on? It is not like I'm ever going to pull the motor or anything.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Well, my wedding ring is a 12.5, not the largest in the place, but my fingers are as fat as they are short. I'll try it first and then remove it if nesesary. Any reason to put it back on? It is not like I'm ever going to pull the motor or anything.

mine is off right now, i been working alot on the head and it was in the way. ill put it away and put it on if i have to pull the head again.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

Talk about bandaids, chubby hands, and positions I didn't know my body would bend, last nights attempt to pull that stupid hydraulic clutch assy was a freakin' nightmare, but that another thread! I can hardly move today!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:59 PM

All very nice, because I'm ripping out my RV275's and putting in a fresh set of "aftermarkets" this weekend, but --

I'd like to know how you can get the #2 injector line loosened up without unbolting the airhorn and swinging it a few inches out of the way... because on my truck - you can't. Period.

Unless you're into fabbing tools.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Banned

My buddy from IN asked me the other day if I have on of those 3/4 wrenches that had different angles on each end. Maybe that's how.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sask
All very nice, because I'm ripping out my RV275's and putting in a fresh set of "aftermarkets" this weekend, but --

I'd like to know how you can get the #2 injector line loosened up without unbolting the airhorn and swinging it a few inches out of the way... because on my truck - you can't. Period.

Unless you're into fabbing tools.
exactly, i took an old junk 3/4" and put it to the bench grinder until it the sides were thin/small enough to get down in there, and you only get maybe 1/8th of a turn each time...its just as easy to loosen the clamp and pull the 5 bolts to rotate it up outta the way
Old 09-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

i used a regular 19mm wrench on them all. im over 6'3'' so i guess im just long enough to reach em. ill measure it tonight and see how long it is. i've done so many it's just second nature now

Quick Reply: Any injector installation tips?