Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.
View Poll Results: How Long Until My Tranny Dies
1 week
20.93%
1 month
44.19%
6 months
23.26%
Other
11.63%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Any bets on my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine lasted at 400rwhp for about three years. I used a BD converter and their valve body kit. The my new engine combo killed my tranny in the first run, though. If your tranny is decent shape, I don't see any issues with what your running. I towed heavy, I drag raced, and did four dyno events on a mustang dyno.

One thing is that you could run AMS tranny fluid. Did you install the VB or DTT do the install? How loose are the front and rear bands on your tranny? These little things are what help making your tranny live. More than likely your OD will give out as you don't have the extra oil flow and clutches. For trucks running less than 450rwhp, you don't need alot of trick parts to make the tranny live.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

DTT did the valve body and adjusted the bands while they were in there. I've got a double deep tranny plan with brand new fluid in it so hopefully it'll last for a little bit. I'm just gonna have to learn how to keep my foot out of it. The only time my truck sees OD is when I'm cruising on the freeway. Other than that it's in 3rd gear.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM

Where is the option for 1 Hour on there
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by durasmack
Where is the option for 1 Hour on there
Ill be nice and give him 2 hours, but that is pushing it.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I talked to dave in length when I was looking for my valve body and while I like Dave and I agree that he builds a very sweet tranny and has a warranty second to none, he just doesn't have enough high horsepower trucks with enough miles on them to make me feel comfortable with his tranny. I'm looking to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 650 daily driven when I'm done. DTT has several customers running that kind of power with tons of miles and lots of abuse and they have survived the test of time. If I was staying at around 400-450hp, I'd go with dave hands down. I'm hoping that I can nurse the tranny along for the next 6-8 months until it can be built.
I would talk to Haisley Machine they build some of the baddest auto trannys i have seen. Also very great to work with. I voted one week or less
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Banned

Geez. I hope I make it a little longer than one hour. I'm hoping that with the comp untapped and turned off that it'll hold. Don't see why not. With the comp tapped and on 5x5 with my 275's I'm throwing 160hp at it where as with just the new injectors alone I'll only be throwing 115hp at it and then with the comp in ez mode I'll only be looking at 180 or so. Hmmm. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I told my roommate to bring his truck just in case something does go wrong.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Geez. Not a lot of faith in my ability to keep my foot out of my new found power. If I get a tranny on mom and dad's dime it will be a birthday AND christmas present. I wonder if I should have them put the billet shafts in there also?
HAHAHAHAHAH WE know better ...we all have been down that two blackstreak road before ..MY cop buddy keeps telling me im gonna get it one day when hes off duty
Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Banned

The cops already told me twice. Guess they'll have to tell me again.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:40 PM

I just cant believe you are still on a stock converter, and are holding 371hp! I have a stinkin Goerend, and its not holding 260hp or so. Im guessing my line pressure must just be to low?? I think everything else is holding fine; its just the converter is slipping a little under WOT in 4th. Guess i need to hurry up, and call Dave, and see if he thinks a VB will fix my problems. If i ever find a job to make some $, i will buy a VB soon I dont plan on anything over some stock 215 injectors(30-40hp), and maybe some 181 delivery valves(another 30-40hp). I was just hoping i could get by with this converter with a better valve body. We will see in the end i guess.lol

Eric
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Banned

Your amazed? How do you think I feel? I used to power brake the truck all the time a long time ago just for fun. Would do 20psi launches and not think twice. Even now I'll hit the lock up switch and lug the engine down to about 1200rpm and stomp on it just to see the smoke roll. I just hope my luck holds. Maybe my tranny will be like John Rodriguez's and be a factory freak. HAHA. Yeah right.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 AM

I'm hoping that I can nurse the tranny along for the next 6-8 months until it can be built.
Umm, why not use your 275's for another six months and put your new injectors in when you do the tranny? (Coming from a guy who ordered a hrvp, m4s, and ps64 w/o an aftermarket clutch )

I gave ya a week. Curiosity might get the best of you after a few days of restraint
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Phatboy
Umm, why not use your 275's for another six months and put your new injectors in when you do the tranny? (Coming from a guy who ordered a hrvp, m4s, and ps64 w/o an aftermarket clutch )

Obviously you forgot who you are talking to. Since I will be moving out in 2 weeks, he has to do everything in his power to "beat 402, I just have to beat 402."

See, when BigBlue was a small boy, he had to beat every other little boy on his block, whether it was racing on a bicylce, or eating the most bugs. After seeing their son's odd behavior, his parents decided to take him to the local doctor. While he was there, he even challenged the doctor to a peeing contest when he was asked to pee in a cup. Right away the doc knew what it was. He sadly told BigBlue's parents that he had the terminal disease known as "little man syndrome." His parents wanted a second opinion and stormed out of the office. They were obviously in denial. They finally came to the face the fact that their little sweet boy had such a terrible disease when he decided to blow a tranny just so he could beat his roommate's truck's horse power. It's such a sad, sad story (sob, sob, wiping a tear from my eye).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought so!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 AM

if you drive it like i would i say one week or less. but if you baby it i say forever.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

I'd keep the 275's but I already sold em to crobtex and I hate having parts just sitting around not installed.

Quick Reply: Any bets on my tranny