Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Another tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another tire ?

What is tallest tire I can mount on my 6.5 stock rims? I've got 4:10's and do very little towing. I'm currently running 265/75R/16's.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

You can mount 35's ( 315's ) safely on those rims. A lot of guys are running around like that. As a matter of fact I am looking for some stock rims to put on mine for the winter so I don't wreck my nice ones and I have 35's on mine.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:09 PM

I thought squeezing 285/75r/16's was to much, never even gave the 315's a thought. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned

Hey no problem!!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
You can mount 35's ( 315's ) safely on those rims. A lot of guys are running around like that. As a matter of fact I am looking for some stock rims to put on mine for the winter so I don't wreck my nice ones and I have 35's on mine.

Actually, no, you can't. Look at the manufacturer's specs for the tires. EVERY manufacturer lists an 8" wide rim as the MINIMUM.

Every tire maker lists an "approved rim width" range. Usually, there is a middle value that's listed in bold or such as the "ideal" rim width.

For a 315, "ideal" is 10" wide. an 8" rim for a 315 is "acceptable".

According to BFG, the largest size you can run on a 6.5" wide rim is a 255/85R16 tire. This is listed for their M/T.

Go to the manufacturers websites. It doesn't matter if it's BFG, Toyo, Goodyear, Michelin, whatever. All will tell you what wheels are acceptable for a given tire size.

NONE will tell you it's ok to run a 315/75r16 on a 16x6.5" wheel!!!

Sorry, but the manufacturers say you can't even run a 265 tire on that wheel!

Ask yourself this, if you can run such a large tire safely on a 6.5" wide wheel, then why did Doge incur additional cost and furnish a 16X8" wheel when you opted for 265 size tires? Why wouldn't they just use more of the 16x6.5 wheels and save money???

MKelly, do your own research. Do not make decisions just on the say so of one or two people (including me).

Gotlift, I suggest you also surf a couple tire mfg websites so you can find out what they do and do not allow.

Yes, you can shoehorn a 315 on a 6.5" wide wheel. But it will perform terribly, wear poorly, endanger the lives of the vehicle occupants, and void and all warranties the tire maker may give.

Don't just take my word for it. Look it up.

www.toyo.com
www.bfgoodrichtires.com
www.michelinman.com
www.goodyear.com
www.tirerack.com
Old 09-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

Calm down HOMEY!!! I didn't say it was the best idea in the world but IT HAS BEEN DONE!! Tire specs do say that, I wasn't saying that they didn't!! There are plenty of trucks out there that have bigger than stock tires on factory rims even though its not recommended.

If you are looking for all out handling and performance it is probably not the best way to go, and by all means get some new wheels. He asked a simple question of how big of tires he could mount on stock rims...........and I gave him an answer. And I don't need to do any research, I know whats recommended and what's not, but I do know what HAS been done!!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:01 PM

I went to discount tire out here in good ol az and I am running the 295 nittos on my truck, before, when i first bought it it had 295 BFGs on it, they have all ran just fine and i have not had a problem with them on my dodge rims..dont know if it is the same as what you guys are talking bout but just what has happened with me
Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Thanks Chaos, you just helped my point!! Just as long as people don't go wider than a 12.50 they will work. Althought 295's aren't quite as big as 315's its still the same
Old 09-20-2005, 04:34 PM

HOHN, I appreciate what your saying, I've got alot riding on these tires. Just trying to get a feel for what the stockers were running. I try not to make hasty decisions and look @ my options that's why I'm here tapping and searching for info. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Banned

AMEN dude, go with what you feel most comfy with. Just because some guys do it doesn't always mean that it is the BEST decision...............geez I should have listened to myself years ago........would have saved me an A** load of money
Old 09-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Calm down HOMEY!!! I didn't say it was the best idea in the world but IT HAS BEEN DONE!! Tire specs do say that, I wasn't saying that they didn't!! There are plenty of trucks out there that have bigger than stock tires on factory rims even though its not recommended.

If you are looking for all out handling and performance it is probably not the best way to go, and by all means get some new wheels. He asked a simple question of how big of tires he could mount on stock rims...........and I gave him an answer. And I don't need to do any research, I know whats recommended and what's not, but I do know what HAS been done!!

Just because others dong doing something doesn't make it wise. True, has asked what the tallest tire was that he could MOUNT on the wheel.

And you said that it could be mounted safely. Well, yes, but not DRIVEN safely.

Silly me, I thought he actually wanted to DRIVE the truck, not just see how big a tire could fit on his stock rim.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Banned

Have you ever heard of anybody getting in a wreck or rolling because they put 35's on a stock wheel???? Until you can provide any proof to that question right there, you can not truthfully say that they are not safe. I don't care what your little specs say, I want solid proof!!!! Provide me that and I will bow down and shut up
Old 09-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to be a D**K, I'm just stating what I've seen on other peoples trucks
Old 09-20-2005, 05:29 PM

don't care what your little specs say,....

Then nothing ever COULD prove it to you. If you don't trust the MAKER of the tire, then who am I to insinuate that you aren't smarter than the team of engineers at these companies?

BTW-- they're not MY specs.

The bottom line is that when people come to you for advice, you should give them advice based on what is good practice, not just what you have seen done.

I saw a guy base jump and kill himself when the cute didn't open! Good practice? No, but I've seen it done.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

It could be good practice if you were wanting to commit suicide!!!

Quick Reply: Another tire ?