Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Another Starwheel ?? Turn which way

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Starwheel ?? Turn which way

Dumb ? maybe but when turning the starwheel for more fuel I have read where to turn towards engine... How about if standing in front of truck should the starwheel be turned clockwise or counter for more fuel? I turned mine 20 "clicks" with screwdriver counterclock because that seems to be towards the motor and it produces no smoke and not much of anything far as I can tell. I slid the stock fuel plate all the way fwd as well as the AFC and it really made a big difference. Now Im wondering where to go with the wheel. With the original auto tranny un-rebuilt far as I know at 280k I dont want to push it too much...

Forest Could you explain Modifying the AFC
Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 PM

Standing facing the engine you would wanna turn it counterclockwise. Honestly turn it till you can't turn it anymore and see how you like it, but I dunno how your tranny would do.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 AM

Turn counterclockwise for more fuel, clockwise for less. With a stock tranny and the plate and housing slid, I would probably turn it down. As far as modding the AFC, some grind the foot down flat on the control. There is also a screw on the back of the housing that sets the preload. Again turn in for more fuel, out for less. Sure there are other things that you can do, but those will get you started.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a nutshell

Waldersha is correct but see it this way

Loosening will yield more low end fuel and smoke, Turn to front of engine
Tightening will yield less low end fuel and smoke, Turn towards firewall

In either sence, decide what u need and adjust it as desired

Rick
Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 PM

When I am turning the star wheel I stick my screw driver in the spring and compress it a little just to see how tight the star wheel is set.
I do that before and after for reference on how much (and which way) you are adjusting it.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=Forest Could you explain Modifying the AFC[/QUOTE]

Well im not Forest but i will try to help,to modifiy the AFC you just take it off, loop the wastegate line directly to the acuator if you wish to keep it hooked up. Next you take the slide, starwheel, limit arm, and put the end cap back on the AFC and then reinstall and the fuel plate now controls all your fuel curve with some influence from the right foot. PM me if i can help you work through it. P.S. i had a request to upload some pics of the "guts" i took out of my AFC i will try to remember and get those up this week.

Chris
Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 AM

Thanks for all the info. Any pics of mods would be nice. Anybody have any old plates, possibly extra housing that they may want to sell so I wont have to possibly ruin my stocker? What about if I plan on running truck on WVO. What will turning the wheel or gutting AFC do, have uncooked grease all over the highway ? what color smoke would unfired grease produce ??
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM

WVO burns black too, if it is hot enough going into the IP. If it is cold you get a grayish haze. The smell is not too pleasant however, it makes you want some nasty fast food. Watch out for the neighborhood cats coming to check out the free food.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 PM

Well I turned the wheel all the way each way runs good either way but no smoke whatsoever with it tightened or loosened all the way. Am I missing something here. I set it back all the way to the front to where the wheel is about out of reach.
Chevummins...Do you think the cummins will run OK with a 50/50 blend of WVO diesel w/o heat in South Alabama ? Do you think the stock plastic fuel tank would handle being heated if I were to use main tank for WVO and put a coolant heater inside ?