Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Another Max Flow System Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Max Flow System Installed

Mine went very smooth, and I wanted to thank Hohn for posting his install information, and JoeFarmer for his help and support!

Not to mention Scotty and Rod!

Was my first time playing with SS braided lines. That took some getting used to.

I still can't believe the difference in the fittings supplied with the kit versus the stock banjos - the pictures I have seen don't do it justice!

I got a 2 psi across the board increase in pressure, and am very pleased!

No diesel showers for me! I did modify the install procedure slightly - I did not loosen the fuel cap at (near) the beginning of the install. I did loosen it up for the priming and start-up.

Matt
Old 02-14-2004, 09:36 PM

Thats good to hear. I've got mine on order also.

I was asking Rod about the possibility of getting the kit with nylon line instead of the SS stuff, not because of the $$, but because the nylon is easier to work with and it won't have issues with rubbing on other hoses or wires. So far he only has the SS line. I guess I can put some of that split plastic loom over it.

Boyd.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No need for split loom per se. I just used some heater hose that I had slit down the side.

Did I mention that I have almost 20psi at idle now?? Cruise @17psi, WOT14psi.

Justin
Old 02-17-2004, 11:45 AM

Yeah, HOHN. I saw the posts about your install. Good job on that. Good pressures too.

I'm at 13.5 psi idle, 10-11 cruise, and 6-7 wot with drilled out banjo bolts and fittings and an otherwise stock system. I'll post my new numbers when I get the kit on.

Rod and Scotty have them on back-order due to the popularity of the kit, so I'm waiting for mine very patiently.

Boyd.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:03 PM

Now if only I can get my hard starting fixed....the problem predates the max-flow install, so that's not it.

Justin
Old 02-17-2004, 12:09 PM

HOHN:

You running a stock LP in its stock location?? I ain't getting close to 20 psi at idle.

Matt
Old 02-17-2004, 01:10 PM

Yes. In fact, it's the ORIGINAL lift pump in the stock location. I suspect that my pump may live a VERY long life, because I bombed certain parts of the truck fairly early.

Gauges@ 10K miles
EZ@ 11K
DD2s@ 12K
Fitch Fuel Catalyst@12K

Max flow @24.5K

That said, my readings are somewhat erratic in that it depends on what mood the truck is in.

Sometimes it only had 18.5@ warm idle. Other times, it's up to 20psi. Sometimes it cruises @15psi-- other times at almost 17 (interstate). Sometimes WOT is 13-14; most times it's closer to high 11s.

What's interesting is that the difference is across-the-board. If I have 20 @idle, then all my other pressures are up about 2-3 psi. If I have 18@idle, then the pressures are more what I would consider realistic.

I suspect that the fuel pressure variance is related somehow to my hard-start condition. It's a mystery to me.

In an effort to track down my hard start (losing prime) condition, I went through is checked the couplings in the fuel system. After loosening them and then retightening, I noticed that my fuel pressure fell a LOT slower at shutdown. Instead of diving to zero instantly, it falls slowly, then stops around5-10psi and slowly creeps downward.

I took that to mean that I had improved the sealing of my fuel system. But the hard start condition remains. I NEVER get it to start on the first crank if it's been sitting for any length of time, even if warm.

Justin
Old 02-17-2004, 01:43 PM

Hohn, did you ever check to see how much fuel is in the filter canister before starting when the truck sat for a while? How about a small crack in the canister or lid that might let air in?

Boyd.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:28 PM

good idea! I am going to change the Fuel Filter just for S&G today, so we'll see what happens.... I'll check it all out then.

Justin
Old 02-17-2004, 05:41 PM

I got my LP changed about 5k miles ago. I had the original on for 125k miles....

After installing the kit, I hold around 12 at idle, and around 11 at cruise. The max flow system definitely helped out.

Good luck HOHN! Please keep us posted....

Matt
Old 02-18-2004, 11:18 AM

New filter is in...

NO change in hard to start condition. But I do feel a slight improvement in SOP. Truck seems happier.

I found a little bit of sediment in the filter canister. I cleaned it out w/ paper towels.

I think I am going to have to get a factory service manual to diagnose this hard-to-start condition.

Justin
Old 02-18-2004, 11:55 AM

Was the filter canister full of fuel when you took the lid off?

Boyd.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:13 PM

Yeah, it sure was.

Is there some kind of check valve that could be sitcking open and allowing fuel to bleed off back to the tank?

The weird thing is this: when I shutdown, I can go back near the fuel tank and actually HEAR the fuel returning to the tank, and pressure is being lost then.

Isn't the fuel system designed to keep the fuel pressurized, at least on the supply side? If not, then how does the truck start so quickly?

I think I am going to have to get a factory service manual and see if that can educate me.

Justin
Old 02-18-2004, 12:28 PM

No check valve on the suction side, but I wonder if the fuel is bleeding back to the tank on the return side. You might try pinching the return line the next time you park the truck. Then open it back up right before starting again.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:33 PM

I am 99% sure that it is the return line that is bleeding off the pressure.

What mechanism is on the return side to keep it from causing the truck to lose prime?

Justin

Quick Reply: Another Max Flow System Installed