Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Another Drag Comp question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Drag Comp question

What are the differences between the Comp and the Drag Comp?

Can I send my Comp back to Edge and have it modified to Drag specs? If so, how much will that cost?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only difference is when it defuels. The drag comp doesn't start to defuel until redline. You can send it to edge and they will upgrade it for you for around $125-150. Sometimes they just reprogram it and other times they send you a new box.

I dyno'ed with my regular comp at 378 rwhp and then I tossed in a buddy's drag. It only dyno'ed 4 extra horses, but we did see on the graph that at an earlier rpm, it gave me 40 extra ponnies. Well worth the extra price of an upgrade if you ask me. I had my comp sent in and I can't wait to get it back in Drag form!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Yea.. I"m still waiting too...
Bryan
Old 09-11-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So are you guys just sending the box in, and leaving all connections hooked up? What about setting codes with disabled wastegate and injectors?
Mike
Old 09-11-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NOSPIN4ME
What are the differences between the Comp and the Drag Comp?

Can I send my Comp back to Edge and have it modified to Drag specs? If so, how much will that cost?

Thanks
The only difference is that the DRAG version adds EXTRA fueling above 2700 to combat the ECM's defueling that starts at 2700 and goes to 3200.

The comp calculates fuel on a percentage basis basedon boost. So, if there's enough boost, it will add X% to the fueling rate. Say that the ECM is allowing 100% of maximum fueling. The comp adds some to that, based on it's own percentage. Most fueling boxes top out around 63%. So the total fuel going to the engine would be 100% of what the ECM allows, plus another 63% from the Comp.

The sharp reader has realized already that the comp's fueling is X percentage OF ecm fueling. So if the ECM's fueling is dropping, total fuel will as well, if the Comp adds the same percentage.

Example: Say at 2500rpm, the ECM allows 20GPH fueling. The Comp can add another 63%, so the total goes up to 32.6GPH.

But the ECM "defuels" past 2700, so instead of seeing 20gph, you might only get 15. In this case, the Comp's 63% additional fuel takes total fuel up to 24.45gph.

So in order for TOTAL fueling to stay intact, the Comp would have to add MORE fuel (percentage-wise) to offset the ECM defueling. So if the ECM drops from 20gph to 15gph (a 25% decrease), the Comp would have to INCREASE fueling by 25% (of the 63% it's already adding). So the Comp could increase it's own fueling from 63% to 78.75% and offset the ECM defueling.

That's what a Drag Comp does. It add's EVEN MORE fuel as the ECM defuels, to cancel that defueling out. This lets the Drag Comp pull hard to 3200 rpm.

There's a lot of misinformation on the Drag Comp, so I help this helps to clear it up.

jlh
Old 09-11-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
So are you guys just sending the box in, and leaving all connections hooked up? What about setting codes with disabled wastegate and injectors?
Mike
You send in just the box. You can do it yourself directly through edge, or have an edge dealer do it for you. It is possible to set an overboost code when driving w/out the box. Remember it acts as your boost fooler also, so too much boost= overboost code. Just keep boost below 20 psi and you'll be fine.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's what I figured, but seriously now, how can someone who has a comp, injectors, intake and exhaust, keep the boost below 20#?
Mike
Old 09-11-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
That's what I figured, but seriously now, how can someone who has a comp, injectors, intake and exhaust, keep the boost below 20#?
Mike
With my bigger turbo, its not too hard to keep it below 20. Now with outragous fuel prices, I try and keep boost below 10 to save milage. I haven't had a comp hooked up for a week now and its killing me. In this past week, I've had sooo many people that I need to smoke and let'em know who's boss, but without the comp, its kinda hard.

I think i forgot what power feels like. Just waiting for that drag to get back here and I'll think its Christmas all over again.