Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

angry tractor sound! :D

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now that I get farther from high school I'm finding girls that know the difference between a jacked up pretty boy truck and a real truck, it's nice.

I've been pulled over A LOT and I have several friends that are CHP, city cops and sherriffs. technically, it's illegal to modify the exhaust in any way if it's louder than factory. as well as suspension, lighting engine, et cetera. so if a cop really really wanted to be a ****, he could write most of us up for a lot of stuff but they won't unless you give them really good reason. here in CA diesels are exempt from any emissions inspections/tailpipe tests, so no one cares if your kitty wanders off or your exhaust pipe grows. believe me, I got read to and taken back to the police car to read for myself the vehicle code for exhaust a few times a month in the '56, it's far from stock and with a performance built fuel injected small block I've made sure to run adequate exhaust for me to hear it...and anyone in the general vicinity. never got written up, always warned(on exhaust anyway!)
Old 06-21-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
now that I get farther from high school I'm finding girls that know the difference between a jacked up pretty boy truck and a real truck, it's nice.

I've been pulled over A LOT and I have several friends that are CHP, city cops and sherriffs. technically, it's illegal to modify the exhaust in any way if it's louder than factory. as well as suspension, lighting engine, et cetera. so if a cop really really wanted to be a ****, he could write most of us up for a lot of stuff but they won't unless you give them really good reason. here in CA diesels are exempt from any emissions inspections/tailpipe tests, so no one cares if your kitty wanders off or your exhaust pipe grows. believe me, I got read to and taken back to the police car to read for myself the vehicle code for exhaust a few times a month in the '56, it's far from stock and with a performance built fuel injected small block I've made sure to run adequate exhaust for me to hear it...and anyone in the general vicinity. never got written up, always warned(on exhaust anyway!)
I been pulled over ticketed and taken to court... but never had to pay anything and nothing ever went on my record. I got away in court with the fact that turbo's are classified as mufflers... and with my truck having twin turbos they count the first one from stock and use the second one for the stock muffler that came with the truck... The only think they can get away with debating with me now is not having a resonator... but they are not required like mufflers in my state so i can keep it the way it is.... Also i brought up that the fllex pipe i use has ripples in it that interfear with the sound waves like a resonator.... so they get quiet quickly when we went to court...
Old 06-21-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlue
I had two hot girls in an xterra get up next to me and start waving and screwing with me. Then I had a couple of hot girls in a jetta do the same thing except this set started taking pictures of the truck. Of course my hand accidentally slipped down to the comp and my foot accidentally got a little heavier as they took a pic of the back of the truck.
Theres cruise nights here in LDO alot on sundays

Ive been caught up in them before (main street where cruise is by my house) girls seem to love the ram, noise and idle down here, its a shame tho that most of them are not as hot as what they should be... Although it is obvious a 4 inch straight pipe gets their attention... girls love the sound..

had a coworker yesterday ask me yesterday when i was gonna get a new truck, cause my current one sounds too much like a train..

Rick
Old 06-21-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
had a coworker yesterday ask me yesterday when i was gonna get a new truck, cause my current one sounds too much like a train..
I couldn't think of a better compliment on the sound!!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
I couldn't think of a better compliment on the sound!!
about a year ago when i put the twin turbo's on i picked up the girlfriend at the time now wife from the airport for the first time in the truck and when she heard the turbo's whine she grabbed the ole crap handle and yelled what that noise... I stop and ask her what she said cause at the time i didnt have exhuast at all it was coming directly off the downpipe and she said............. "i felt like i was in a jet plain taking off again.... You know i hate plains......."
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by storx
when she heard the turbo's whine she grabbed the ole crap handle and yelled what that noise...
hahahaha! that's great! I'm kinda used to the sound now, I don't mind it so much. I have about four feet of straight 4" right now, going to throw that on and see how much it changes the tone, if any. I might be disappointed if I put a muffler on it.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Just felt like adding to this...

I welded up a straight pipe a month ago, and man is this thing loud!

I love it!

I do construction and on many occasions, my crew thought I was the crane/slag truck/mixer showing up
Old 06-27-2006, 02:19 AM

I do miss my straight pipe, but the 4" MBRP is still pretty loud.

Just wanted to mention that the name of this thread has been on my mind every time the turbo spools Thing is I turned the truck sideways at 40+ tonight just cuz I was diggin the angry tractor sound
Longbed dually + wet pavement = fun
Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 AM

Yeh I have to admit that phrase "angry tractor"...comes to mind since I have put a different air filter and can now hear my turbo.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:42 AM

you should buy some sheet metal and just for fun roll it into a huge megaphone shaped tip, 4 inches at the small end and like 16 inches on the big end, clamp it on and use some coat hangers or something to hold it up under your truck and see how loud that is!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
you should buy some sheet metal and just for fun roll it into a huge megaphone shaped tip, 4 inches at the small end and like 16 inches on the big end, clamp it on and use some coat hangers or something to hold it up under your truck and see how loud that is!

Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM

I'm sure someone thought of it before I did but a few weeks ago I was thinking about two seperate conversations I'd had with different people, one about how the cummins sounds like a beastly tractor when uncorked and two how versatile 'angry' can be as a descriptive word for almost anything...and then in my mind, angry tractor came about.

the 16" stove pipe/coat hanger mod seems like it'd be a great idea! I was actually wondering if a 6" tip would make any difference in sound or not. I don't want to buy one but I could make one and adapt it pretty easily. I'm getting used to the downpipe, even better is that it limits my cellphone usage; maybe I can try that one on a cop if I get pulled over for exhaust...I don't see much good coming from that conversation. maybe it'll seem 'quiet' relative to now when I turn it out in front of the axle.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"3 were hot, the other two brought the overall average back to below satisfactory"

I think you would call them a butterface. Everything looks good but her face.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:09 PM

That stovepipe is a frickin awesome idea. If the large diameter tips make it louder, than Im gonna weld a 55 gallon drum to my tailpipe!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Butterface!

Quick Reply: angry tractor sound! :D