Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AMSOIL'S remote by-pass oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Re:AMSOIL'S remote by-pass oil filter

I also have one and it has been on for 50k now with no problems. I drive about 25k a year and change the oil once a year. I replace the full flow filter every 6k and the bypass every other full flow change. Originally I was quite hesitant to do this I just had this thing about letting the oil outside of the block. But after research decided to give it a try and have never looked back. I mounted mine by the passenger side battery but DD4x4's looks like a good install. There is a gentleman on the TDR that manufactures a battery mount and a billet adapter that is just plain great. His handle is CPFF. I would highly recommend his billet adapter. He also makes SS lines for the unit. I used his billet adapter and made up my own ss lines with aeroquip fittings. The ss lines are not really required the unit comes with a pretty decent line but I just had these visions of an exploding hose driving 80 down the interstate. I personally am quite happy with the investment. As far as the wars, the word amsoil seems to bring out a lot of peoples opinions.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have contacted him on the adapter and the SS lines. My system has been in place for over three years now and I am getting concerned about the rubber hoses. I am going to change the adapter and the hoses over to his materials in the spring before the summer pulling season starts.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:39 PM

I tend to agree with Dieseldude about Auxillery filtering however I am not sure I would extent the drain period that far.<br>I had a F--rd 6.9 motorhome with a Banks Turbo system and a Harvard bypass filter. Harvard claim filtering down to 3microns the recomendation was that the Harvard element was to be replaced every 25000 miles and the regular full flow is to be replaced at the recommend interval. The make up oil should restore the additive package. I came across a used Harvard setup in a garage sale and I will be installing It on my new 03 HO. My biggest reason for not extending the drain period as far as Dieseldude is that I am from a cold climate (Spruce Grove Alberta) and I use Esso 0-40 semisynthetic oil in the winter. Your engine will make a lot of water warming up in the winter and if you don't get to run it long and hard enough to boil it off it will stay in the crankcase. Filters remove solids and semi solids but I don't think they remove much acid or water from the oil.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Jim O:<br><br>I would definately agree with you on the intervals up there. Short trips are not real good on the engine anyway. If you were driving say 30 minutes or more at a time, might not be too bad but shorter than that in your climate, I would not push it much over 20000 with sampling, probably not more than 10000 without. I drive 35 to 40 minutes to work and that is just barely enough to get the engine up to temp. I talked in person to the sample people most every time on that longest interval. They were very helpful every time. They even called me on the first sample from this truck and were concerned about the iron content. I told them I had put the oil in this engine earlier than on the last one (24000 miles on the 99 vs 85000 on the 89) and that I was working this engine pretty good pulling 20 to 26000 pounds. They said it was more than likely break in iron. I changed the oil and sent another sample at 5000 miles and the iron was back down to an acceptable level.<br>I am a dealer but I will not recommend anything to you or anyone on oil use. I will only tell you what I have done and you have to take it from there. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine oil samples really are helpfull and can save engines gear boxes and coolant I know Kendall use to give free oil samples are there any other vendors still giving free oil samples to users...maybe a listing of vendors with sampling free or the cost per sample<br><br>Remember it does no good to take a sample once in a while you need to build a history of oil samples on the compontent<br><br> ??? ??? ???
Old 12-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Trending is one reason I chose who I did to do my samples. They send you the sample results with the lastest one listed last so you can see what is going on in there. All samples are listed on one page for comparison.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Chapter President

Kendall would call or fax right away if they needed a resample due to high levels then would confirm by phone if anything was wrong...I saved a high mile engine by samples torn it down and did rod and main bearings and when we retired it at 1.5 million miles it dyno at 79% of rated HP to the wheels this engine never had a valve cover removed : :
Old 12-17-2002, 07:54 PM
Administrator

There is a lot to be said for sampling but some people won't justify the cost or don't trust the technology yet I guess.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:12 PM
HC

Whether or not it is &quot;worth it&quot; depends totally on what you value, and how much? I value my engine, my turbo, my time, and drive a lot of miles per year. Use of a bypass filter saves me time, and keeps other monkeys out from under my hood.<br>Do not, do NOT go to extended change intervals without regular oil analysis. A tiny antifreeze leak can deplete oil additives, you need the sample program to avoid surprises. <br><br>I would get the single bypass instead of the dual remote if doing it again today. If I planned to sell or trade before 200k, I might not use a bypass; I'd probably just change the filter every 5k and then the oil plus filter at 10k.<br>
Old 12-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Agree with HC, you definately need the sampling with extended intervals. The lab I use charges $15 for a complete breakdown and I think postage is about $2.40 or something like that. I sent them enough that they even give me the sample kits free complete with bottle, hose, and shipping box. All I have to do is fill the bottle, drop it in the box, and pay the postage. Easy enough for me.<br>Just changed my main filter yesterday in about five minutes including adding the replacement oil.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 PM

remote by-pass oil filters

One thing to think about is oil pump psi was the pump designed for a remote oil filter? ive heard of early engine failure due to this.