Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AMSOIL'S remote by-pass oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL'S remote by-pass oil filter

Looking over the AMSOIL site, http://www.performanceoiltechnology....dgecummins.htm I read this article on there &quot;Dual remote by pass oil filter&quot; and I wonder if anyone out there has ever had one installed? The add goes on to say that all the other oil filters only remove particles down to 20 microns compared to their &quot;By pass oil filter&quot; that removes particles down to 5 microns. The add goes on to say that the most damage is done with particles between 20 and 5 microns. <br><br>So give me some feed back on this unit. On the surface it seems like it is something that we should all have. So! what is your opinion?<br><br>Robert
Old 12-15-2002, 11:53 AM
Chapter President

Re:AMSOIL'S remote by-pass oil filter

They are usefull since you dont change oil or filters until the oil analysis says its time too<br><br>Quote from their site<br>***************<br>Once the Dual-Remote Filtration System is installed if you elect to use oil analysis testing then you DO NOT need to change your engine oil unless oil analysis testing results indicates you need to. Test samples are easily pulled from the dipstick tube with an AMSOIL pump into a 3 oz bottle and then put into a postage paid box mailed to Oil Analyzers Inc. This is typically performed every 20,000 miles or every year, whichever comes first for passenger vehicles and light duty trucks. You may very well travel several hundred thousands of miles without needing to change you oil when using oil analysis testing. It really is a simple process and provides an accurate analysis of your engine's internal condition. Oil analysis testing is common practice with commercial, fleets and heavy-diesel equipment that you can put to use for your benefit as well.<br><br>***************<br><br>My view is...Oil and filters are cheap...and oil change time is the time to look your rig over top and bottom...and perform any maintance thats needed...so since I dont crawl all over my truck lookin for worn or rubbing hose's and loose bolts each week...I take the extra time when I service my rig to inspect everything I can see<br><br>.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:11 PM

Well Pappa, you have a point but I think they have a better point.

What they are saying is you can change your oil and filter as often as you want, every thousand miles if you want. But if your oil filter is only extracting dirt down to 20 microns and the dirt that does the damage is less than 20, from 20 down.

What they are saying is that their Dual remote by-pass filter is doing a far superior job of filtering the oil because it filters dirt down to 5 microns. Now I would say that is worth changing my ideas and consider there point of view. And that I also would be willing to change the way I check my truck.

Now dont get me wrong, I never had one of their filters, that's the whole purpose of this post. To see what others have to say about their clam to save engines. Make engines last longer. Now if it does that then I am all for it.

I would like to see if there is anyone out there that can testify to their clam.

The bottom line is according to AMSOIL is with there filter system their oil at 50 to 75,000 miles adds more to your engine life then someone that is using an ordinary filter and changing their oil and filter every 3000 miles.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:10 PM
Chapter President

There are many large truck fleets that do oil samples and are on extened services...the last fleet I worked for used Fleetguard filters and Kendall SHP oil and gear oils...and we where the first fleet to go to 40000 mile oil changes with Cummins blessings...point being any good quality filter Amsoil or any other brand and oil along with oil sampling plus a quality inspection of the vehicle makes for long life...many fleets still use the external spinner filter which has been around for 20 years plus<br>Iam still a firm believer in keep it simple stupid...but there are new inventions every day to improve our lives and this Amsoil filter maybe one of them ??<br>Good luck on your filter search...have you checked the micron ratings for other oil filters
Old 12-15-2002, 07:06 PM

I just put a mobil one filter on my cummins. Don't remeber exactly ??? but pretty sure i read on the box that it filters down to around 10 microns or less. I bought it at Autozone.<br><br>
Old 12-15-2002, 07:17 PM

Pappa.<br><br>Well I did check out Fleetguard filters and they don't give out any facts pertaining to microns, there info is based on percentages. But they do have more info on how the by-pass system works and its good points and its bad points. If your interested just type in www.fleetguard.com. The did say that they were the leaders in the development of the by-pass system.<br><br>I wish I knew more about it. Even though I will not take samples for analyses, I still like the sound of a better filter system. If it falls into the cost effective category. I would like to know how much one cost? And if our engines can handle them? What does a person have to go through to install one? <br><br>The Fleetgard site did say that they do for a fact reduce engine ware by 60 some percent on the main bearing journals. But check the site out for yourself.<br><br>Robert
Old 12-16-2002, 04:02 AM
Chapter President

Another thought is the Spinner oil filter http://www.spinner-ii.com/ Its used by alot of large truck fleets and Has been around for 20 years in one form or another...and very ez to clean out just wash the container out with solvent

I agree Fleetguard is a little shy on filter info...but Ive call the tech support line and have gotten all the filter spec thru them
Old 12-16-2002, 10:05 AM

The stock filter and any of it's after market replacements have a bypass built into it. That means if the filter gets dirty or on a cold morning when the proper amount of oil can't get through the filter it bypasses and goes straight to the engine unfiltered. This is done because any oil be it dirty or clean is better than no oil. Get an add-on bypass filter that filters 100% of the oil to a cleaner standard. With the bypass filter and the stock filter your oil will much cleaner, you won't be sorry.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:45 PM

Ed, <br><br>I could get egg on my face but what we are talking about and what you are talking about are two different things.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:11 PM
KC

I have two questions:<br><br>1. Is the remote by-pass filter worth the money?<br><br>2. We would be a good mounting location?<br><br>KC
Old 12-16-2002, 08:18 PM

KC

I wish I could answer your questions, but I have those and others as well. Hope someone comes on that knows something about this filter.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:20 PM

can you get this swstem and just change your oil once every year. that would be better than every 3k like i'm doing now.<br>DM01
Old 12-16-2002, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the dual remote system on three different diesel trucks and two gas trucks now and had good luck with it. On my 89 diesel, I ran the same oil for 4 1/2 years, right at 60000 miles. The oil sample results were still coming back good at that point but I changed it anyway. The oil didn't owe me anything at that point. I traded that truck four years ago and it is still running and the guy still has not touched the engine.<br>I installed the system on my 95 when I bought it too. I have the system installed on my current truck. I installed it at 24000 miles on the new truck. At about 70000, the samples started showing higher than trended iron content so I changed the oil and both filters. I ran that oil to 100000 miles and changed the oil and both filters again. The oil now has nearly 15000 miles on it and since I have upped the HP a little, I will probably change the oil and filters every 25 to 30000 miles depending on what the samples look like. I change the main oil filter every 5000 miles and I change the bypass filter at no more than 25000. The bypass filter actually has a line on it and when the filter does not get hot below that line, you are suppose to change it although I never run it that long. Every time I change the main oil filter, I replace a quart of oil. Every time I change both, it replaces about 2 1/2 quarts so there is some replacement along with what the engine uses over time. The filters are a bit pricy but I don't always look at the cheapest way out.<br>As far as cost, the system will run about $300 the first time for the kit and the oil. AMSOIL also recommends an oil flush if you have significant miles on your engine prior to changing to synthetic. If you have been changing oil on a regular basis, you could skip the flush but it is only another couple bucks. <br>As far as if it is worth it or not, it depends on how you value your time. I don't really prefer lying around under a vehicle every 3 to 5000 miles changing oil and then disposing of it.<br>There are people out there who would not do this if the end of the world were coming and there are people out there who have been doing for years it and trust the system. <br>The bottom line is, you have to do what you feel comfortable with. Only you can make the call. I am not recommending anything here, just telling you my experience. I have used the system on other than diesel vehicles also but that was usually the single remote and I changed oil every 10000 with no sampling.<br>As far as where to mount the system, that is user preference. You can go to the Member Photo section on page two of the albums and look under Dieseldude4x4's pics and hobbies to see where I mounted mine. I did this on two trucks and on my 89, I moved the overflow tank to the drivers side and mounted the system there on the core support. There is someone out there that makes a battery mount and I have that info somewhere. <br>Hope this helps. The only one that can decide if it is worth it or not and whether if will do right by your engine is you. It is your wallet and your &quot;feel good&quot; process.<br>If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM. This will probably start some wars but I'm telling you the facts on what I have seen so you can take it from there. Good luck.<br><br>Joel<br> <br>
Old 12-16-2002, 10:22 PM

Dieseldude:

If I remember correctly before I left Canada we were emailing or posting each other and I was suppose to stop in and we were to chat over a cup of coffee on my way from Pa down to Ky. I somehow recall something to that effect. But if I remember right we went a different way and the stop over didn't work out.

Anyway back to the thing in hand; I think I can see spending 300 for a better filter system at this point than spending it for a better set of mirrors. Hey! I got to watch my wife's money, he, he. I am retired and she is still working and bringing in the money. But I would like to see if I can find your pictures. I never have been in the photo album before, I guess I will find my way around to it.

So.....why would you think that your input would cause a war? I don't understand that. But thanks for all the info, I know it sure has help me a lot and I know there are others out there that you have answered there questions as well. OK 4X4 will be chatting with ya.
And thanks again. Robert
Old 12-16-2002, 11:44 PM

Dieseldude4x4 I tought it was a very nice post and it has me talked into it. That is when ever I get the money. I'm getting ready to buy a clutch sometime next year and I think I will be puting all my effort into that first. then we will see.<br>thansk for the info dude.<br>DM01

Quick Reply: AMSOIL'S remote by-pass oil filter