Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Am I Gonna Need A Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Gonna Need A Trans?

Ok so I just got my bonus check from work and if there is any of it left after Christmas shopping I want to get my truck (myself) a few presents.

Here are the BOMB plans:
- Autometer 3-gauge pod with boost, pyro, and FP
- 10 plate
- Starwheel loose
- Boost elbow
- Possibly a K&N intake to replace the Rapid Flow

The question is will a '94 47RH with 135K miles on it hold up to these BOMBs if I keep my foot out of the pedal for the most part or am I going to grenade the trans? Is there anything that should be on this list that isn't? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your trans should take those mods. I'd throw in a 3K GSK and swap the FP guage for a trans temp guage. You might want to consider a shift kit too.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:55 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by berner
Your trans should take those mods. I'd throw in a 3K GSK and swap the FP guage for a trans temp guage. You might want to consider a shift kit too.

Unless he tows , the fuel pressure gauge is a better idea, i would love to swap my trans temp for a F/P , the trans temp rarely comes above 120, and the PCM with the stock sender will turn the temp light on at the max reccomended temp anyways.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:23 PM

I do tow occasionally, I pulled a trailer today actually, that and the fact that the factory light will come on if the trans is getting hot is why I was leaning towards the FP gauge instead of the trans temp. I did forget to include a 3GSK in that list...
Old 12-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With a 10 plate and a 3gsk you will need at least a shift kit and pressure adjustment to help hold the new found power. Dont forget to adjust the TV cable, it controls line pressure and shift points.

BTW you wont be able to keep your foot off the pedal for the first few days
Old 12-16-2006, 08:02 AM

I did those mods and the 3k gov spring kit the trans will work but when I get on it in secound gear it doesn't seem to put the power to the ground as it should but once the converter locks up it pulls very hard so as somone else sugested put a shift kit in and see what happens that is my next mod. Hey Dslpower just what is the procedure for adjusting the tv cable just in case mine is out of adjustment???
Old 12-16-2006, 10:21 AM

Fuel pressure on a 12 valve isn't terribly important, except for diagnosing performance problems. It simply won't run with too low fuel pressure. Unlike the 24v, which will fry the VP, the p7100 isn't hurt by low pressure.
I second the trans temp gauge, with the sensor in the outbound line. When the light comes on it's too late to save it, and the sensor in the pan is already cooled fluid.
Do the shift kit, I did and it seems to be holding well. Of course I don't pull, or dragrace, but I can light up the tires if I want to.
I don't think I would mess around with the intakes, until you get into really high hp, not much gain for the money there.
You'd see more gain with injectors and delivery valves. JMO
Old 12-16-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by schoust
Hey Dslpower just what is the procedure for adjusting the tv cable just in case mine is out of adjustment???
With the help of a buddy (he or she has to mash the throttle) while you watch the trans end of the cable. The cable needs to pull the lever on the tranny the instant the throttle linkage moves.

It does not need to pull any on the lever when at idle position though or hesitate in pulling it once the throttle starts to move. The cable has a push button lock at the bellcrank end for making the adjustment.

I adjusted mine and it made the trans shift better.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:13 AM

Thanks........