Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Alternate fuel filter location

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternate fuel filter location

I've had it with my 99's stock fuel filter unit and am looking to upgrade. I'm currently considering both Baldwin and Fleetguard filters, but I'd like to place the filter head in a location that allows easy and quick access without the risk of destroying it with road debris. I'm already running a Holley blue pump, so I'm not tied to the factory LP's location. Any words-o-wisdom? I'm thinking somewhere along the frame rail??
Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up fuel filter

Mines mounted inside the engine compartment drivers side between the brake resivoir and the hood hinge, easy to change!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:19 AM

I swapped out the OEM filter and canister for a Racor filter with a 2 micron filter. This filter element is easily triple the size as the stock unit. I got tired of the OEM unit leaking all the time. The filter is mounted in the same location as the factory filter, but I raised it up quite a bit. I am really limited on other areas to mount a filter under the body because of my short bed, so I just installed the filter head in the same spot as OEM.

This setup works good. The pressure gauge shown is tapped in the filter inlet, while the in-cab gauge measures pressure at the VP44 inlet. I need to upgrade the gauge to a liquid-filled model as this one died already.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 AM

Great ideas, I especially like the Racor in the stock location. Philabuster, do you recall the model number of your Racor? Where did the mounting bracket come from? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM

I removed the stock FF and in it's place, I installed a Racor 690R fuel filter/water separator complete with a 200 watt heater and a water in fuel sensor, except I am using a 2 micron R90S filter element. The heater plug was the same, but I had to splice on a new connector for the WIF sensor.

The bracket is simply some aluminum angle I had in a pile. Two holes in each leg and cut to length. Done.

Here is a thread with much more info on my install (pg 2 & 3):

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=138789
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM

That's just the info I was looking for, thanks! If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 AM

I just put one from an '02 on a '99. Too easy.

Dave
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM

I tried locating my racor 490R there but its just too big =(
I could go smaller with less flow but Im not 100% sure what amount of fuel volume I need ~500hp. I just went with the guesstimate that racor had on their site which is something like 100gph. The filter is a 90gph model.
In my case I got fed up with trying to relocate it in the engine bay and put it under the bed. Ideally it should be as close to the IP as possible.
I was going to locate it behind the front bumper but I figured what if I hit something? Id be immobilized.
The side of the frame is also a good spot if you dont mind it sticking out a little.
How did you wire in the WIF by the way? Looks like its a normal switched ground but I wasnt 100% so I left it off.
I bought the heater as well but the @#$@# thing doesnt work. I think they sold me the 24volt model.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 PM

The main reason I swapped out the filter was because the stock POS was always leaking. I replaced the o-rings which helped some. The stocker really started leaking BAD after the Walbro installation. The leaks were mainly around the water dump valve.

New Racor filter had a leak around the bottom cap. The rubber seal they give you with the filter from Racor does not seem to match up well with the amber bottom cap. I ditched the stock rubber seal and installed a regular o-ring in its place. No more leaks.

I cut off the WIF plug and spliced on the one that came with the filter. I have not seen any water from the drain valve when I sample it, but then again, I live where it is dry and hot. I have no idea if the fuel heater works, but I plugged it in anyway. Not like it is really needed in Phoenix.

Filter was changed after 18K miles while trying to diagnose a problem. Filter was not the problem--electrical issue still lurking somewhere. Filter changes are not fun, but if I only do it once a year, no big deal.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Spin-on filters mounted on the frame rail next to the xfer case. Mounted here and high enough, you won't have a problem hitting anything as the tranny cross member will hang lower and if you hit it....well, there's bigger problems to worry about. I installed a Baldwin spin-on just in front of the holley filtered to 10mic then on to the factory filter. You could easily add a dual set-up of 10/2 mic.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Im real curious to see if that WIF functions when hooked into the stock setup. I think theyre the same, not sure.
Also, if youre doing this on a 12v or in front of an electric pump, be sure to put a valve inline with the filter so you can turn the fuel off before changing the filter. Sounds obvious, but I know some of you guys wrench with a couple beers in ya
Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM

I'm seriously considering using a Davco filter that's mounted like Philabuster's Racor. The dipstick will need to be moved, but I think the room exists.