Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Alright....time for some new toys

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright....time for some new toys

Ok guys.....I've been tossing around the idea of throwing some new stuff on my truck here soon and wanted some good advice on what you guys think would be better.

Well first I'm in bad need of a tranny.........so I'm gonna be going with Dave Goerend for my tranny....I've called him and talked to him about it and he is an incredible guy!!! So that is set in stone.

So now for a new turbo......I'm not planning on going crazy extreme, but I've been thinking about staying between 400 & 500HP or so. I still want it very driveable on the street and still be able to pull my rockcrawler and stuff like that. What I've been thinking is maybe a Phat shaft turbo or maybe that new stage 3 Garrett ball bearing turbo. I'm very open to suggestion on this, because I really have no clue on what performs better and how they spool?!?!?!

Ok...now on to injectors......thinking Mach 4's.......wise choice or are those a little to big for what I'm wanting? I've been looking at a lot of different injectors, and from what I've read and heard from people.....they really speak highly of the Mach injectors. Open to suggestions on those too!

I'm definetely considering a Smarty......but right now that's kinda lower on the list.....I've got my COMP and she's working top notch so I'll get a smarty after I get all this stuff done.

Fuel system is already in the works on being upgraded, so I'm good on that.

So that's about it........hopefully you guys can help me decide on this so I get her juiced up some more!!

Thanks guys as always

~Nick
Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

With my comp and Mach 1.5's I hear I will dyno right at 400hp. As far as EGT's go they will get pretty hot on the stock turbo w/the comp on 3,4, or 5x5. I have plenty of power with the comp on 1x3 and the mach's. Hit 40 psi and then it defuels. Smarty should eliminate that. You can't go wrong with Mach injectors, I am very impressed. My clutch doesn't like this setup to much though. As far as turbo goes I have no input but would be interested in what others say.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge Comp,Mach 4's,street manors, good spooling up for towing... and at altitude! Hummmm.

You will be in the land of compromise, IMO. Turbo enough to use all your power for short bursts (drag strip/ 5-7 sec over 1400*) will be a lot laggier than your stock turbo....but will work with a slight adjustment in driving style, due to automatic tranny.
A PS64/14 will be about your best choice in my opinion...but will have some minor egt problems. One of J.R.'s Lil 55/14 will give more air, I believe, but be a tiny bit slower to spool. Forget any thoughts of a 12 cm turbine housing!

I have towed 8000# with mach 4's and it's tricky (EGT's). That's on level ground at 75 mpg and TST box turned way down!

The change in driving style is this. Easy on the throttle (for smoke control) till you get 8-10 psi boost.... than, do what you want! Not hard to do but takes a couple of weeks to get use to (forgetting how the stock turbo felt).

Time to decide which way you want to go...can't have spoolup & low EGT's...unless you do twins!

JMO - RJ
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Banned

So RJ, what injector would you recommend??? I really don't know what would be better so I'm kinda at your guys' mercy!!! I don't tow very often.....so I'm not to worried about that.....although I don't want to NEVER be able to tow with it!

And if I have to sacrifice on spool up a little bit that's ok.......I don't expect to be able to have stock spool up with that much HP. If I had the money for twins I'd for sure do it.......but yeah I'll keep dreamin for now!

~Nick
Old 05-18-2006, 02:32 PM

JMO - Mach 1.6's if towing is heavy and often.
Mach 4's if hp performance is your most recurring modis operendi!
You might as well go with the Mach 4's...cause you'll always wonder what they'd be like ...if you don't

RJ
Old 05-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
JMO - Mach 1.6's if towing is heavy and often.
Mach 4's if hp performance is your most recurring modis operendi!
You might as well go with the Mach 4's...cause you'll always wonder what they'd be like ...if you don't

RJ

Dang you must be reading my mind!!!! LOL I tow maybe 2-3 times a year if that......probably the hardest pull would be a trip to Moab with a Jeep in tow on a 14' flatbed trailer

~Nick
Old 05-18-2006, 05:18 PM

With Mach 4's and a comp, with enough air you will be over 500hp. I dyno'd with Mach 4's and a Dodgezilla (35/40 hybrid), at 510hp. Very toasty combo on 5x5, though. With the same setup and twins instead of the Dodgezilla I dyno'd 565hp. The Mach 4's are awesome injectors. You will need to give them more air then the HY35 though..

As far as turbos... Twins would be (and is), my choice. The ones on my truck with the 62/14 on top spool faster then a 64/14 single, and move a whole lot more air. If I had gone straight to twins, I would have saved money. If twins are not in your budget right now, then I would try to pick a single that would work well as a top turbo.

Paul
Old 05-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by paulb
With Mach 4's and a comp, with enough air you will be over 500hp. I dyno'd with Mach 4's and a Dodgezilla (35/40 hybrid), at 510hp. Very toasty combo on 5x5, though. With the same setup and twins instead of the Dodgezilla I dyno'd 565hp. The Mach 4's are awesome injectors. You will need to give them more air then the HY35 though..

As far as turbos... Twins would be (and is), my choice. The ones on my truck with the 62/14 on top spool faster then a 64/14 single, and move a whole lot more air. If I had gone straight to twins, I would have saved money. If twins are not in your budget right now, then I would try to pick a single that would work well as a top turbo.

Paul

Oh yeah that whimpy Hy35 is going away as soon as possible.......she already gets toasty even without injectors...

So what kind of big single would you recommend?? Yeah sadly twins are a little out of the budget range right now.......so a single will have to do for now.

~Nick
Old 05-18-2006, 10:56 PM

I wish I had tried towing something so I could tell ya how the phatshaft 64 performs there. I can easily hit 1000 empty just accelerating up a hill, but have only got 1200+ once at 100mph+

The silver bullet or ps66 might cool the mach 4's for towing.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

Yeah that'd be nice to know........how well does that PS64 spool? I still want some fairly decent spool up.......so maybe I might have to go with a smaller injector?

~Nick
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B.A.Ram
With my comp and Mach 1.5's I hear I will dyno right at 400hp. As far as EGT's go they will get pretty hot on the stock turbo w/the comp on 3,4, or 5x5. I have plenty of power with the comp on 1x3 and the mach's. Hit 40 psi and then it defuels. Smarty should eliminate that. You can't go wrong with Mach injectors, I am very impressed. My clutch doesn't like this setup to much though. As far as turbo goes I have no input but would be interested in what others say.
My roommate dynoed 382hp with the 1.5's and comp and stock charger. With the super b he dynoed 402 and it is a very mean running truck.

I've heard that Mach 6's make a good towing injector.

Seriously though, look into the PS64 or the KSB1. I love my ksb-1. Even with the temps at 90+ I can only hit 1300* at 110mph. And that's flirting with 400hp. It spools almost like stock. I'm waiting on my smarty to get here (20-30 mins ) and I'll let you know how it spools with the smarty, comp, and 100hp injectors.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

So just for grins.........what kinda guess on quarter mile times do you think I'd be clicking off w/ between 400hp & 500hp..........cuz the last time I ran, I had my old 35" tires stock gearing and my comp running at 20psi of boost. And with all that I ran a 16.5 at 83mph

Now I have 4.56 gears ( so roughly a 3.80 something ratio with tires ), so that out to help out some.

I'm lookin to KILL a buddies duramax that I know I can pretty much beat right now, but Truckfest is coming up and I'm lookin stomp the crap out of him in view of the public Plus I just want some more stinkin JUICE!!

~Nick

EDIT: I'd really like to get in the low 14's if not 13's and that should be possible with that kind of power. I know the launch all depends on that, but hopefully when I get my tranny I should be able to do that............
Old 05-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
So just for grins.........what kinda guess on quarter mile times do you think I'd be clicking off w/ between 400hp & 500hp..........
At 460 HP, my best time was 14.9 sec./102 mph.
That was with 285 Michelins, KSB-1 turbo, Mach 4's and my DTT..... but before I installed billet shafts...so I was not building boost on the line before starting my run!

I was getting beat to the 1/4 mile pole by guys doing 92-95 MPH... so if you want to drag...get Dave to install billet input & output shafts, also!

RJ
Old 05-22-2006, 12:37 PM

Id go billet for sure GotLift. Especially with 38s.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
At 460 HP, my best time was 14.9 sec./102 mph.
That was with 285 Michelins, KSB-1 turbo, Mach 4's and my DTT..... but before I installed billet shafts...so I was not building boost on the line before starting my run!

I was getting beat to the 1/4 mile pole by guys doing 92-95 MPH... so if you want to drag...get Dave to install billet input & output shafts, also!

RJ

WOW so you could have easily been in the low 14's if not the 13's with some boost of the line?? I'm definetely gonna do the shafts....I figure better safe than sorry. Although I'm not gonna drag much at all, just a few times and I'll be good.

~Nick

Quick Reply: Alright....time for some new toys