Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

The almighty injector question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors

600 Megawatts, Mysterync said he wanted to make big HORSE POWER thats why I said go with Formula 1's injectors. I'm not affiliated with F-1, but I know what makes POWER for me and a few other people quite a few. Happy holidays Steve B.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
Like I said, I am done on this thread... after all, 'my internet theory is wrong'

Anybody who wants to know what I think about my +155HP EDM nozzles, PM me and I will be glad to explain all about the nozzles and try to answer any questions you may have.

KP
Don't worry, you're getting through to some people.

Not everyone has a big budget for this stuff and don't have the patience to save for years. There are lots of good quality alternatives out there for just about every performance part. But for big power you either have F1 or DD that I've found.

A quick search found the price of F1 injectors:

Mach 1 65 HP $550.00
Mach 1.6 90 HP $700.00
Mach 2 105 HP $800.00
Mach 3 130HP $900.00
Mach 4 150HP $900.00
Mach 5 200 HP $1000.00
Mach 6 220 HP $1200.00
Mach 7 240 HP $1300.00

Diesel Dynamics Stage 1-60HP automatic $475.00
Diesel Dynamics Stage 1-60HP manual $475.00
Diesel Dynamics Stage 2-80HP $570.00
Diesel Dynamics Stage 3-100HP $665.00
Diesel Dynamics Super Mentals $760.00
Diesel Dynamics Mega Mentals $950.00

Jammer nozzels DIY price:

S1 60 $194.40
S2 80 +$32
S3 100 +$54
S4 125 +$75
S5 150 +$97
Old 11-16-2005, 11:59 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comparing Mach injectors to the others is the old apples to oranges trick. Nothing could be further from the way it actually is.

The majority of our customers are the more serious power enthusiast. We never set out to rule the world in injector sales by shear numbers. Quite the opposite. A small following of people use our products. Typically you wont find us in the trucks of the of the casual Cummins hot rodder.

As the trucks age, they become cheaper,fall into lower budgets and become available to more people. This is great for a company that offers an entry level product at a low price. Many more people buy these parts from an economic standpoint than anything. On the other end of this is where we like to be. Offering a product for the old school folks, the serious guy that is competitive and the guy who wants to win that dyno event drag race or not fill the streets with huge amounts of smoke.

Back then we advertised a power level and gave it to you. Typically more. This was long before anyone would even acknowledge dyno testing and the numbers were dreamed up somewhere. I actually got calls saying that low smoke was low power. The mindset was "smoke is power" "you need lots of smoke to make the best Nitrous assisted HP" and my favorite " I need a bigger injector, this thing does not inject enough fuel and make enough smoke/heat"

The fact remains: Mach series injectors are the baddest on the block for the 24 Valve engine. They hold the fastest 1/4 mile time slip for a Diesel only 24 Valve. Not just first place, but the first 3 places. 11.76, 11.78 and 11.89. These are all different trucks run in different parts of the country. Oregon, Tenn, and Maryland. The only 24 V trucks in the nation that run the 11 second times on Diesel fuel, run Mach's.

Machs were first to 600 on Diesel only in a 24 Valve. 638 to be exact. 3 years ago guys. Not yesterday or even last year. 3 years ago the 500's were rare on Diesel. We were the first 24 Valve single charger to 600 HP on Diesel only as well.

The first Nitrous injected, single charger stock VP44 pump past 800 HP. 832 last month.

The list of people past 600 is growing:

Fred Huber : 655
John Dimartino : 601
Tim Barber: 636
Merv Demello: 642
Nathan Wright: 648 uncorrected. 701 corrected at 3000 ft
Opie: 620
Trevor Wood: 613
Meacham Evins: I cant recall the number, but the truck ran an 11.78 in 100 degree heat at IRP on Diesel only
Doug Smith: Single turbo 610 HP Diesel, 832 Nitrous
Mike Dransfield: 621
Brandon Miller: 640
Rip Rook: 613
Don S cant remember his last name at this time 617
Chris Hoofnagle 613 ( currently has the fastest 24 V Diesel only truck in the nation @ 11.76 )
Kurt Promenshenkle 631
Don M ( single turbo 12 V ) 682
Justin Marrs 717 water meth used
Horace Mast 617
Scott Walker 622
Ken Jones 720 using some nitrous

There are many others, but my memory is not that good right now.

The first Common Rail to 600 HP with prototype Flux injectors. Before the downloaders came out. The first CR truck in the 12's. Two years ago! 12.83 and this time is still the fastest CR truck I have heard of. Even after two years.

The first dyno proven single charger 12 V truck to 800 HP on Diesel only. We are seeing twin turbo trucks just begin to crack the 800 HP barrier now, but they are using water meth and twin turbos. Two years later.

We are a very small company. I am the sole builder of the final product. If it is not right, it is my fault alone. No pass the buck BS. The wife helps with phone calls, shipping, and does the parts chasing. We keep things tight here. NO frills, NO nonsense. If it does not work, it does not get sold to make money to fund what might work later.

BTW, a 24 Valve truck with the Mach injectors and Helix cam took second place in the street class of the DHRA sled pulling series. Behind the old pro Sled Puller! It fought through the season against the old school pullers with 12 valves that crank up the RPM and fueling way past what we could ever do with a 24 V.

Jammers and BD power nozzles are not past 600. Do not win dyno events, drag races or sled pulls. And neither will ever go into the 11's in a 24 V. On the other hand, the casual guy wont care and is not typically our customer.

EDM is a term. Like human being is term. Humans are 99% genetically the same, but we are not all Albert Einstein either. The last small percentage is what gets expensive and makes the differences. Ask a machine shop to supply you a block of 1 inch square steel with a tolerance of .001 thou. They can nearly all provide this. Now ask for the same piece of metal with a tolerance of plus or minus .00001 and watch them tell you they cant. The field narrows. That last little bit of precision gets expensive.

Its apples to oranges fellas.

Don~
Old 11-17-2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
Many more people buy these parts from an economic standpoint than anything.

Don~
You said it right there! Your product is not for every one. Only the people who want the last little bit. I don't belive anyone said the others are better, Just a great alternative and value. If someone is looking at less then 150 HP they are not looking for the last HP. In ALL competition most people would gain more by properly tuning/driving/maintianing the equipment the buying the gimik.

Judging by the rest of your post I should appolagize for not being in the group that will just pay out the nose for a small improvement. Oh, and if your statement about the "internet" was refering to 600s comment have you looked at the fuel forum???

Randy
Old 11-17-2005, 06:51 AM

Hey guys, when I said let's to death, that wasn't for real, it was a joke! Looks like you've taken me a lil bit too serious on both sides of the fence.

that will just pay out the nose for a small improvement.
That small improvement might not be so small. Maybe spending less and not getting that small improvement makes one spend then more money elsewhere?

Just as an example. The highest EGT's I see in my truck with Don's sticks, is 1250°F pre turbo. Now with different injectors I could burry the 1500° gauge and not get the same hp I have today. ( And more smoke!)

That high EGT's would lead one to think he needs more air. Right? OK then, a new spinny thing would be on order, then and then and then...

Instead I went ONLY with different injectors. Voilà! Hp, low EGT's, low smoke, good mileage, all in one time!
At the end, who has saved more money? See my point?
As usually. White is white. Black is black. Gray is more white or more black? To each his own definition.

Marco
Old 11-17-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don, thanks for posting.

There are two kinds of people: those who use your injectors and appreciate how much of a BARGAIN they are at the (somewhat) higher price, and those have never used them, but are content to carp and complain about how overpriced they are.

If I wanted overseas-made cheapo nozzles assembled by a 7 yr old that was just fired from Nike shoe stitching, then I'd buy something cheaper and be happy.

But I want the best MPG and lowest smoke possible, even as I sought more power.

Given my priorities, there was only one manfacturer even in the running.

Thanks for the great sticks, Don. I'm saving for a new cam (well, and a new guitar amp, but both are ~$1500, so it might be a little while).
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 AM

Hohn,
There are more than two types of people.

I was thinking more along the lines of 5-7.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by HaulinBut
My truck is a 600 CTD. Also, how big of a project is it to change em out, and what happens to driveability, mileage, starting, EGTs, etc? What effect on these issues do the milder to higher HP units make? .........I am also very interested in decreasing the amount of smoke if possible. Mike
Mike, Thanks for trying to bring this topic back to the facts!
I have never changed 3rd Gen Injectors, but heard a respected diesel mechanic say they are a major project, compared to 2nd Gen.
What Effects do bigger injectors have?
Drivability - all positive, but stay conservative if towing over 5-6,000 lbs.
Mileage - as good or better
Starting - No difference
Idle - Mine is smoother with F-1 injectors
EGT's - Higher HP = higher EGT's without more air.

Fact - I went from DD 2's to Mach 2's and lowered EGT's...lowered smoke....gained HP.
Fact - I went from Mach 2's (2002 Technology) to Mach 4's (todays tech.) and got less smoke, around town, and 50% increase in HP.

Mike, If interested in more research...Mach Injectors described here... http://www.f1diesel.com/
I have no expirience with Jammers.

RJ
Old 11-17-2005, 08:46 AM

Don M.

04.5 & 05 F-1 Injectors available yet? Just noticed your web page says "soon"?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 AM
DTR Advertiser

Soon? I cant seem to make much headway on the 600 and 610 engines. Bosch did a great job this go round.

We can get econmy increases! And much lower EGT, but large power increases are not happening yet.

What the honed injector crowd is not telling people is that you end up with a net power loss on the top end with the big boxes and more smoke. Sometimes less economy.

Its a tough nut to crack.

Don~
Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
Comparing Mach injectors to the others is the old apples to oranges trick. Nothing could be further from the way it actually is.

The majority of our customers are the more serious power enthusiast. We never set out to rule the world in injector sales by shear numbers. Quite the opposite. A small following of people use our products. Typically you wont find us in the trucks of the of the casual Cummins hot rodder.

As the trucks age, they become cheaper,fall into lower budgets and become available to more people. This is great for a company that offers an entry level product at a low price. Many more people buy these parts from an economic standpoint than anything. On the other end of this is where we like to be. Offering a product for the old school folks, the serious guy that is competitive and the guy who wants to win that dyno event drag race or not fill the streets with huge amounts of smoke.

Back then we advertised a power level and gave it to you. Typically more. This was long before anyone would even acknowledge dyno testing and the numbers were dreamed up somewhere. I actually got calls saying that low smoke was low power. The mindset was "smoke is power" "you need lots of smoke to make the best Nitrous assisted HP" and my favorite " I need a bigger injector, this thing does not inject enough fuel and make enough smoke/heat"

The fact remains: Mach series injectors are the baddest on the block for the 24 Valve engine. They hold the fastest 1/4 mile time slip for a Diesel only 24 Valve. Not just first place, but the first 3 places. 11.76, 11.78 and 11.89. These are all different trucks run in different parts of the country. Oregon, Tenn, and Maryland. The only 24 V trucks in the nation that run the 11 second times on Diesel fuel, run Mach's.

Machs were first to 600 on Diesel only in a 24 Valve. 638 to be exact. 3 years ago guys. Not yesterday or even last year. 3 years ago the 500's were rare on Diesel. We were the first 24 Valve single charger to 600 HP on Diesel only as well.

The first Nitrous injected, single charger stock VP44 pump past 800 HP. 832 last month.

The list of people past 600 is growing:

Fred Huber : 655
John Dimartino : 601
Tim Barber: 636
Merv Demello: 642
Nathan Wright: 648 uncorrected. 701 corrected at 3000 ft
Opie: 620
Trevor Wood: 613
Meacham Evins: I cant recall the number, but the truck ran an 11.78 in 100 degree heat at IRP on Diesel only
Doug Smith: Single turbo 610 HP Diesel, 832 Nitrous
Mike Dransfield: 621
Brandon Miller: 640
Rip Rook: 613
Don S cant remember his last name at this time 617
Chris Hoofnagle 613 ( currently has the fastest 24 V Diesel only truck in the nation @ 11.76 )
Kurt Promenshenkle 631
Don M ( single turbo 12 V ) 682
Justin Marrs 717 water meth used
Horace Mast 617
Scott Walker 622
Ken Jones 720 using some nitrous

There are many others, but my memory is not that good right now.

The first Common Rail to 600 HP with prototype Flux injectors. Before the downloaders came out. The first CR truck in the 12's. Two years ago! 12.83 and this time is still the fastest CR truck I have heard of. Even after two years.

The first dyno proven single charger 12 V truck to 800 HP on Diesel only. We are seeing twin turbo trucks just begin to crack the 800 HP barrier now, but they are using water meth and twin turbos. Two years later.

We are a very small company. I am the sole builder of the final product. If it is not right, it is my fault alone. No pass the buck BS. The wife helps with phone calls, shipping, and does the parts chasing. We keep things tight here. NO frills, NO nonsense. If it does not work, it does not get sold to make money to fund what might work later.

BTW, a 24 Valve truck with the Mach injectors and Helix cam took second place in the street class of the DHRA sled pulling series. Behind the old pro Sled Puller! It fought through the season against the old school pullers with 12 valves that crank up the RPM and fueling way past what we could ever do with a 24 V.

Jammers and BD power nozzles are not past 600. Do not win dyno events, drag races or sled pulls. And neither will ever go into the 11's in a 24 V. On the other hand, the casual guy wont care and is not typically our customer.

EDM is a term. Like human being is term. Humans are 99% genetically the same, but we are not all Albert Einstein either. The last small percentage is what gets expensive and makes the differences. Ask a machine shop to supply you a block of 1 inch square steel with a tolerance of .001 thou. They can nearly all provide this. Now ask for the same piece of metal with a tolerance of plus or minus .00001 and watch them tell you they cant. The field narrows. That last little bit of precision gets expensive.

Its apples to oranges fellas.

Don~

Don, with all due respect, some of this is total b.s. I've been to several dyno events over the years, with the larger ones including edge's and bullydog's event. If you look at the past two years at edge, I've had the high hp for diesel only on a 2nd gen truck, and can you believe it, I'm running jammer 5's. A good friend of mine has the exact same setup as myself except he is running your mach4's. He dynoed 15mins ahead of me and was 100hp lower. Matter as a fact he went from j4's, dynoing 459 in 95F weather to your mach 4's in 70F weather and dynoed 20hp lower on the same dyno, same operator. At bullydog I ran 572 and a guy from industrial injection ran 576 on diesel only, both of us were way ahead of everybody else and guess what they weren't running your injectors either. They also had a 3rd gen that had the high hp on diesel only and holy cow, without your injectors. I'm sure your injectors have won many dyno events, but to say jammers and bd's don't win dyno events is far from the truth. I would love to see some trucks with your larger injectors dyno with my own eyes and see this uge difference that us guys that are not serious, comprehend. Like I said I'm sure your injectors are awesome, but a guy has to be careful or you can get to big for your own britches.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Don,
Nice that you mentioned Sledpulling.
For most of the DHRA season there was a 24 Valve ISB VP44 (now running inline) equipped truck that was successful in the SUPER STREET class running a single turbo.
He did not have your injectors and he still beat "12 Valves that crank up the RPM and fueling".
Interesting how "other brands" of injectors do in fact work and there are other HIGH END choices to choose from.

Don tell the audience which shop makes the most horsepower out of a Cummins B series engine.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:57 AM

First of all I disagree with peak dyno tuning as it is subject to many quickly changing variables and can produce "tweeked" and scewed numbers. Before the barrage of comments comes I do understand that at the HP numbers produced here the engines get hot quickly but proper dyno tuning like on big trucks over 15-30 minutes takes some of these variables out as consistancy on the rollers can be charted. A 30 minute dyno can show the entire power torque and horse power range and chart it while maintaining engine vitals and solving trouble spots. This method also reduces the number of "large fish" stories, the sled pulls also will show more consistant engine oprerating trends but the sled design and conditions of the track becomes a variable. With proper trending a V8 and an I6 will show the differences in peak torques and HP's at different RPM's in different engine designs. I understand what Don M is trying to tell this fellow but he has it in his mind that the "Snake Oil" salesman are ripping him off. A few years ago I owned a 8V92 Silver 475 Detroit and it was getting poor fuel milage and power performance, a young guy at a parts counter told me to put in 125 injectors with 6 holes to solve my power problems. Then this "good old boy" told me they had spent big money trying solve the same problem and they had "suggested" 98 12 hole injectors (less flow more atomization) and the results were amazing. 125-6 hole injectors 496 hp@2250 1980 ft/lb torque 4mpg avg, 98-12 hole injectors 546hp@2350 2265 ft/lb torque. Ya ya I know the rpm is higher by 100 rpm however the big injectors produced 386hp 1100 ft/lb@1750 and the 98's 436hp 1280ft/lb@1650= pulling power and 5.8 mpg avg fuel milage base on a 20 minute average at Detroit Diesel in Calgary. Bigger is not always better just like polishing street intakes is counter productive for atomization and reduces low to mid range "lift" and power. Don M I am saving my hard earned pennies to buy your Mach 1.6 units to complement my EZ replacing my 275 super good injectors to increase and refine the tuning while "pulling" long and consistant hills where I live. For $300.00 more than what I paid for the 275's Don may I please have some Snake oil. PK
Old 11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
DTR Advertiser

LOL, You guys crack me up.

Don~
Old 11-17-2005, 12:20 PM

Don,

When did Ken Jones crack 720? What truck? What dyno?

You ARE talking about Ken Jones of Performance Diesel here in Utah? Right?

Justin

Quick Reply: The almighty injector question