Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

The almighty injector question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, here's my contribution to the "torrent", Kevin

I saved almost 2 years to get Don M sticks to replace my DD2s. Then I waited almost 2 months after I ordered them for delivery while Don sorted out some supply issues.

I'd do it again without hesitation. Compared to my DD2s, I have almost double the HP increase with LESS off-boost smoke. Yes-- LESS smoke with an injector that's way bigger.

These are so clean I may upgrade to 6s like Marco has.

jmo
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this debate (and others like clutch, oil, transmission) is a lot like cloths. There are some cheap crappy ones. There are some quality expensive ones. Those that spend the big bucks will try to justify it. The ones that bought the crappy ones may have to buy another (same or diff).

There are some that are not over-priced and give exceptional performace. Thats generally where I'll end up.

As 600 Megawatts said do the research and choose what is best for your. If you all want I'll video the exhaust of my truck and try to post it. I have no visable smoke(or haze) below 15PSI(MAP).

Randy
Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
Strokethis600, sorry, didn’t mean to come across like I was talking about you. Actually, I was specifically not talking about you or Haisley. Sorry about that impression.
I like Haisley and his stuff, and feel he is hard-core and genuine, and no doubt, you cant go wrong with his stuff.
I was actually referring to the torrent of Don M injector (F1 Diesel) posts which are about to flood this post.

KP
I'm sorry to, and its ok.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quotes
--"Those that spend the big bucks will try to justify it."
--"Don't be a sheep"

I'm very interested in everyones Expirences with the products they have bought & tested ......especially when it's something I have not tried!

Much less interesting are Opinions...especially when they refer to products never purchased or used by the one giving the opinion.

Just my opinion...ah...er...expirience!

RJ
Old 11-16-2005, 01:07 PM

I have bought and tested: Bosch Rv275's excellent injectors, ATS 20% and ATS 30% extrude honed injectors; both excellent injectors and made the advertised hp gain.
Diesel Dynamics 100hp worked great and made hp advertised hp.

I have assembled and used 80hp edge tips, 125hp edge tips, 155hp edge tips.
All worked flawless and made good hp.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:31 PM

So I missed the basics lesson in school on injectors- or did I. An injector has multiple holes by which high pressure fuel is atomized to increase the ability to facilitate the acceleration of the chemical process of fire/explosion. The higher number of holes within reason to control flow and the size along with pressure governs the atomization process and the efficiency of it. We then add technological advances like a laser process which is refined in the process of making these tiny little precise holes for increased rapid flow and combustion whereby we decrease smoke (unburned fuel) increasing both HP and fuel economy. For the increased efficiency of these technological advances we feel an intrusion of our wallet is unnecessary. "Definitely Snake Oil you all", keep your money in your pants fuel is cheap like peoples time to create advancements for better products. PK
Old 11-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Muted User

I will only say one more thing on this matter and then I am done.
I think that allot of the high dollar injector people are still taking advantage of comparing indirectly to the older style extrude-honed injectors, when they talk about 'cheap' injectors. What they don’t want you to know about, is that there are now lots of EDM'd injector nozzles out there that are inexpensive. The honed injectors are totally old school, no argument there, and I am not even sure if anyone sells them anymore. The honing process unfortunately creates a smoothed, rounded, radiused, (whichever word you like to use), entrance to the tiny holes. This is exactly what you DONT want for good atomization. A nice sharp edge to shear the viscous fuel oil is best for atomization and its what you get with an EDM or lasered nozzle. But none of us are talking about honed injectors anymore, we are talking about EDM'd injector nozzles that cost $258 for a set of six. Still relentlessly, the high dollar boys beat up on atomization and cleanliness and imply, (albeit without actually saying the word 'honed' ), that the cheap nozzles are honed.

Brother Hohn, you should have indeed seen a HUGE difference in power and cleanliness going from a honed injector as you did to Don's Mach, but I also respectfully suggest you would have seen an enormous improvement in going with ANY EDM'd injector over your older style honed ones.

KP
Old 11-16-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
Brother Hohn, you should have indeed seen a HUGE difference in power and cleanliness going from a honed injector as you did to Don's Mach, but I also respectfully suggest you would have seen an enormous improvement in going with ANY EDM'd injector over your older style honed ones.

KP
That's probably true. I will never know if I wasted money on Don's injectors in place of a cheaper option. I haven't tried other injectors, and it's QUITE possible that the other EDMs are every bit as good at lower cost.

I like Don's because they have so radically recalibrated by thinking of what a "big" injector was. I went from 100hp being big (and for EH sticks, it's getting there) to being able to DD a 150hp injector-- even in single digit temps (like we had lately).

And I have less smoke overall as well. I'm ecstatic, and I feel that what I was given in return was a good value, even at the elevated price of Don's sticks relative to some other (cheaper) options.

JME, for you RJ
Old 11-16-2005, 04:56 PM
DTR Advertiser

You are incorrect on your internet theory.

Don~
Old 11-16-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Don M

Don~

What part exactly?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Super4x4Duty
What part exactly?
I'm assuming the part about internet forums being "playgrounds" for salesmen?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Don M

Don~

That's not fair, please explain.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:45 PM

I have been reading this thread, hoping to see a $ number on some of the better options. I see $258. for good "tips", and read repeatedly that Don's are high $, but do not see a price. How high are we talking? My truck is a 600 CTD. Also, how big of a project is it to change em out, and what happens to driveability, mileage, starting, EGTs, etc? What effect on these issues do the milder to higher HP units make?
I am also very interested in decreasing the amount of smoke if possible. I live at a very high altitude, and when I screw in some Ramifier box, it is quite embarrassing.
The comments on the EH process radiusing the edges make perfect sense. I used them on a set of my race heads, and when I redynoed them, not only did they kill the hp, but made them totally illegal for that cars racing class!
I treasure the knowledge shared by the members on this site, and hope some of you can answer these questions. Thanks for all the help. Mike
Old 11-16-2005, 07:02 PM

I've never tryed don's injectors, but, from all the praise about them I'm sure they are as good as anything out their. The reason I went with jammers is $, and I'm totally happy with their performance and low smoke for such a large injector. That being said, someday down the road when I have money burning a hole in my pocket I will try a set of mach's, so I can satisfy my own curiosity.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Muted User

Like I said, I am done on this thread... after all, 'my internet theory is wrong'

Anybody who wants to know what I think about my +155HP EDM nozzles, PM me and I will be glad to explain all about the nozzles and try to answer any questions you may have.

KP

Quick Reply: The almighty injector question