Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison transmission on a Dodge RAm

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy edit*, 600lb allison transmission, thats insane. A Eaton Fuller transmission weighs about that much and that comes in Big Rigs.

From the site rules:
In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:55 PM

umm why on earth would u want that wimpy allison 1000 series tranny in there??? its only rated for 590 foot pounds of torque anyhow its extremely expensive to maintain !!!!! the cummins needs one of the 3000 series allsion trannies. its just a name!! like a cadillac sounds real nice "oooooh he got a caddy" but it has tons of trouble
get a custom made tranny and u'll still have money left over..

plus u dont wanna tell ur dodge friends u have a GM associated product in there do ya???
Old 11-25-2004, 09:57 PM

if u wanna swap for a tranny(complicated enough) then u seriously might as well get a lower duty eaton fuller 7 speed or something.....
Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Banned

you could by a bd tranny with a 100,000 mile warranty and a lifetime warranty on a billet torque convertor for less than that. The Allison will not handle high power just like all the rest of the trannys but one of these built trannys will. Allisons need upgrades as well. If you are decided on a allison there might be a problem with software you would probably need a seperate ecu to control it
Old 11-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Banned

whoops you could buy
Old 11-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Banned

Check out bd-power.com they offer a 100k warranty nobody else doe's
Old 11-26-2004, 01:47 AM

amen to that...if u really want an allison then just go to ur big rig bone yard and get one out of a gmc top kick or whatever look inside the rig or bus...if u dont see a stick shift then it could have an allison and they'll give it to ya for a couple hundred...but the allsions are full of computer issues and electronics...its anightmare

get a DTT tranny or call up david goerend they'll get u stuff for a fraction of the price
Old 03-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Well I disagree with all the posts that says it cannot be done. Cummins ISB + Allison transmission is done commercially for some companies.
The one I was interested is on a Freightliner MT55 Fedex delivery van.
It has a Cummins ISB-02 185 with an Allison 2400 transmission.

Only neg issue is adapter to tranfer case, which I believe is same as 1000 on GM trucks, and the output of motor is only 200hp it will need "pumped up" a little, but it's the newer version of the 5.9 ISB.

I decided to go with a good ol' standard 47RE, but if somebody is interested in the combo above, it will sell for approx 6,500, but you will get the whole van (2004 Freightliner M55)

Check Freightliner web site for more details.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Valv
Well I disagree with all the posts that says it cannot be done. Cummins ISB + Allison transmission is done commercially for some companies.
The one I was interested is on a Freightliner MT55 Fedex delivery van.
It has a Cummins ISB-02 185 with an Allison 2400 transmission.

Only neg issue is adapter to tranfer case, which I believe is same as 1000 on GM trucks, and the output of motor is only 200hp it will need "pumped up" a little, but it's the newer version of the 5.9 ISB.

I decided to go with a good ol' standard 47RE, but if somebody is interested in the combo above, it will sell for approx 6,500, but you will get the whole van (2004 Freightliner M55)

Check Freightliner web site for more details.
A set of rv275 injectors and it will outpull any of our engines. As it is it probably will be more powerful than the stock second gen engine. It is lower rpm, thus lower horsepower, but check on the torque, it is probably higher than our engines. I am running the commercial engine would not go back for hauling. Mine with the EZ has never been passed up a hill loaded by a mid or pickup sized truck like loaded. The last engine was rated at 190 horse and with the rv275 injectors was almost as strong as this engine.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Kyle Graham
Check out bd-power.com they offer a 100k warranty nobody else doe's
Really? I can't imagine Dave Goerend lied to me when he told me he stood behind his trans for 100K, and his triple disc TC until me or the truck gets planted in the ground.

And unlike some things I've read about BD, Dave stands behind his product without question. I know this for a fact. First hand.

Will BD overnight 140#'s worth of parts and their own personal tools? On their dime? Will anyone from BD spend 4 hours on their personal cell phone, from a family function, on a Saturday, walking a customer through repairs so the truck can be back on the road by Monday?

Dave does......

Will BD send out a new valve body, free of charge, because the tech on the other end of the phone doesn't like the way the present one shifts, based on the customer's description?

Dave will.....
Old 03-24-2005, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by RCW
I currently have a 2004 4X4 Ford Excursion with a modified QSB5.9 marine engine and the Allison 3200 TRV equipped with a retarder.

There are some real issues to deal with when converting the Cummins to an Allison. The Allison weighs 625 lbs, holds 29 quarts of oil, and is only rated to handle 370 horses without MAJOR upgrades. The Ford body had to be lifted 2.35" to clear the transmission housing, and the suspension another 4.5" to keep the sump out of harms way, and then a NP205 cast iron transfer case had to be installed for the four wheel drive (so it is noisy).

The other problem with the 6 speed Allison is the limitation on engine rpm. The Allison is only rated for a max of 2,800 rpm, and the QSB spins up to 4,000. So, spinning the transmission up where I need it presented another set of opportunities (costs).

I have converted 12 valve Cummins powered Dodges to the 4 speed 5XX, 6XX, and 7XX series Allison transmissions, but again there are transmission hump problems, and the Dodge body is a real pain to lift above the frame to gain the needed clearance. On the Dodge, the other opportunity of challenge is that of where to put the exhaust. The SAE adaptor needed to mate the transmission to the engine places the rear motor mounts on each side of the bellhousing. So, exhaust routing is a real problem. Those transmissions easily handle 3500 rpm, so are not as limiting as the newer 6 speeds.

Can you elaborate more on the conversion you did?? I would like to hear some more info. Maybe some pics too???

PM me for an email addy...

Justin

PS the Allison has the advantage of gearing. You can get a program from allison to make a 5 speed 1000 to have 6 forward gears.

Thats why the Dmax's are so fast at the track. Even with less HP then us guys.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RCW why did you find the cab hard to lift? Just curious.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Talk to the guys at J7 automotive in stephinville they a chevy with an allison and a cummins
Old 06-01-2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by chop342
ad deleted by admin
Sounds like and advertisement
Old 06-03-2006, 01:01 AM
RJF

suncoats, ATS, and Dave are the best in the business....

Last edited by wannadiesel; 06-03-2006 at 10:06 PM. Reason: quoted ad removed

Quick Reply: Allison transmission on a Dodge RAm