Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

allison trans conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allison trans conversion

could the allison auto trans&transfercase from the late model chev 4x4 be converted to fit my 98 1/2 dodge 4x4??????? has any body tried yet want to dump this weak trans?????
Old 03-31-2006, 08:29 AM

Why not just buy a built trans.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 AM

This is gonna sound crazy to you but:

A built 47RE will take more abuse than a 1000 series Allison.

This, and the fact that you will not have fitment/transfercase/driveshafts/electronic controller issues. Allison loses its luster really quick considering the trouble vs gain.

Just rebuild your 47 into a Big N Ugly, and get an Allison sticker.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:30 AM

The 47re is a much superior transmission and if you ever have to rebuild a allison your looking @ 549 just for the rebuild kit compared to 149 for the 47re get 6 pinion planets for your 47re 23 one sided direct clutches a 800# mega spring for the overdrive unit and youll be good to go i have lots of guys towing 26k Gross With that setup with 650# of torque no issues most guys have over 100k on theres by now
Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 PM

allison trans

thats why im asking you guys!!!! dont know had a 2ton truck with a allison 545 that worked great! but have read lots of threads about the dodge trans and mine will be due this year for a change before it leaves me by the side of the road at a strangers mercy!!! been there done that how about you??
Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Chapter President

I agree with coalburner....I would not consider the allison as an option....never mind my complete bias against automatics behind diesels but I could show you a list of bulletins from gm about that trans that would choke a buzzard..not to mention the extensive and I do mean extensive amount of hardware, computer mumbo jumbo that comes with it and the occasional cracked transfer case...and prices!!! First its GM, price goes up....then it's an allison......double or triple the price of everything! Like I said, not a big auto fan....rather be pushing the clutch and jammin the gears and pick what gear I want to be in...not some computer tellin me....but I would get a built dodge trans...it would be easier and would have to be cheaper especially after all the headaches of wiring a brand X trans to work in a real truck
Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 PM

trans

Ok im convinced!!! then give some details on trans mods or a place to buy one i live in oregon! theres a guy that has a wrecked 2000 with a built trans he says he wants 3k or offer for the trans is that a deal or not??? thanks mel
Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 PM

I would call DTT and Goerends to get prices. DTT is probably closer to you, but Goerends is less expensive. 3K for a stock tranny is pretty steeep in my opinion, you can get a Built one from Goerends for just a little more.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Muted User

A 47RE-overdrive is a superior transmission to a 1000 series Allison 5 speed ?????

Is that really a fair statement???????

I understand that there are several companies who build a very aftermarket-component-filled, wicked strong 47RE. And perhaps factoring that in, the 47 comes out the winner... I dont know really, I am not an diesel-automatic trans guy.... I do hear the absolutely CRAZY $$$$ figures that guys are paying for these built 47RE's though....

But, I mean come on.... I get 300+ runs out of a powerglide in a 600HP, 3,300 Lb, 10.teen race car, but you wont ever hear me say that a powerglide is a 'superior' transmssion to a turbo 400, or even a th350 for that matter.....

With built parts is does its job very very well, and economically as well, but can we really say its a 'superior' transmission because the aftermarket has come up with lots of goodies for it????

I listen to guys on here all the time telling people not to tap the wire with their stock automatic, but the allison 5 speed is behind 3208's in dump trucks for crying out loud?????? I dont think the duramax guys need to do too much to their allisons until they are making big numbers, right???? Like I said, I really dont know too much about these two transmissions, so maybe I am missing something here.......

KP
Old 03-31-2006, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mel d
Ok im convinced!!! then give some details on trans mods or a place to buy one i live in oregon! theres a guy that has a wrecked 2000 with a built trans he says he wants 3k or offer for the trans is that a deal or not??? thanks mel
3k for any tranny that has an unknown history and was in a wreck is real steep. How's the warrenity on the one out of the wrecked truck?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
A 47RE-overdrive is a superior transmission to a 1000 series Allison 5 speed ?????

I understand that there are several companies who build a very aftermarket-component-filled, wicked strong 47RE. And perhaps factoring that in, the 47 comes out the winner... I dont know really, I am not an diesel-automatic trans guy.... I do hear the absolutely CRAZY $$$$ figures that guys are paying for these built 47RE's though....

But, I mean come on.... I get 300+ runs out of a powerglide in a 600HP, 3,300 Lb, 10.teen race car, but you wont ever hear me say that a powerglide is a 'superior' transmssion to a turbo 400, or even a th350 for that matter.....

With built parts is does its job very very well, and economically as well, but can we really say its a 'superior' transmission because the aftermarket has come up with lots of goodies for it????

I listen to guys on here all the time telling people not to tap the wire with their stock automatic, but the allison 5 speed is behind 3208's in dump trucks for crying out loud?????? I dont think the duramax guys need to do too much to their allisons until they are making big numbers, right???? Like I said, I really dont know too much about these two transmissions, so maybe I am missing something here.......

KP
The 1000 Alli in a Dmax seems to be ok with a 90 hp upgrade in its stock form. High 400 hp with a transco shift kit and torq converter. It's main hang up right now is with electronics but it sounds like that maybe solved soon. It is a superior design to the 727/47RE. But like you mention above the aftermarket hasn't had the same amount of time modding it. Dodge will be swapping to a similar auto soon.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Chapter President

3208 Cat I assume is putting out no better than 200hp, dyno'd and built several of these at the Cat house....basically in the Cat world the 3208 is one of those oops engines, just was not considered to be all that great. Go to your local Detroit Diesel/ Allison dealer....check out who the bussiest guys in the shop are. At the dealer I worked at it was the Allison guys, pulling them out of firetrucks, garbage trucks and others for rebuilds. I guess you could assume that would be different, hauling a truck that tips the scales at what....20,000lbs or better plus a hopper full of funk and trash, or a firetruck loaded with pumps, hoses, etc. But what about the gooseneck with 20 roundbales?? I have not worked on the truck trans, but many of the heavy truck allisons...can't sell me on that when it comes to horsepower and pulling.

As far as how much it is to buy a 47 built with aftermarket parts, say you drop $4000 for one that will handle a 500hp Cummins....have you checked the build sheet on the window of the Duramax? What's that Allison going for? Around $5000 is what I think I saw...how was the Allison designed? With heavy duty parts so it could go behind the Duramax and convince the Consumer(farmers/landscapers, etc) that it would hold up better than their traditional 5 or 6 speed they have been using...plus they won't have to shift all the time..... So the key is to convince them that it is "world class" to get them out of the Dodge and Fords and dump the manual labor of shifting....no offense automatic guys....an auto is a heck of a lot faster when it comes to racing one of these big toys, I agree there
Old 04-01-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts

KP
I dont know either way but read a LOT of threads on Diesel Place about transmission troubles. Irratic shifting, slipping converter, the same stuff that happens to all the brands when you start bumping up power. As far a stock trucks go, I would say that the Ally is far superior to the 47re.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by mel d
could the allison auto trans&transfercase from the late model chev 4x4 be converted to fit my 98 1/2 dodge 4x4??????? has any body tried yet want to dump this weak trans?????

i just sold the kit to do this on ebay. it is able to be done.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
3208 Cat I assume is putting out no better than 200hp, dyno'd and built several of these at the Cat house....basically in the Cat world the 3208 is one of those oops engines, just was not considered to be all that great. Go to your local Detroit Diesel/ Allison dealer....check out who the bussiest guys in the shop are. At the dealer I worked at it was the Allison guys, pulling them out of firetrucks, garbage trucks and others for rebuilds. I guess you could assume that would be different, hauling a truck that tips the scales at what....20,000lbs or better plus a hopper full of funk and trash, or a firetruck loaded with pumps, hoses, etc. But what about the gooseneck with 20 roundbales?? I have not worked on the truck trans, but many of the heavy truck allisons...can't sell me on that when it comes to horsepower and pulling.

As far as how much it is to buy a 47 built with aftermarket parts, say you drop $4000 for one that will handle a 500hp Cummins....have you checked the build sheet on the window of the Duramax? What's that Allison going for? Around $5000 is what I think I saw...how was the Allison designed? With heavy duty parts so it could go behind the Duramax and convince the Consumer(farmers/landscapers, etc) that it would hold up better than their traditional 5 or 6 speed they have been using...plus they won't have to shift all the time..... So the key is to convince them that it is "world class" to get them out of the Dodge and Fords and dump the manual labor of shifting....no offense automatic guys....an auto is a heck of a lot faster when it comes to racing one of these big toys, I agree there
I take it this was directed to me? I have rebuild both transmissions. As a matter of fact I make the best hard parts available for the Dodge tranny. How many of them firetrucks and garbage trucks are running a 727 derivitive like the 47RE?

Like I stated earlier the Allison is superior design but even so it does have some issues that need to be addressed. As will the new 6 speed auto going in the Dodge Cummins. You lost me on the math as you didn't include the intial auto option for the Dodge with the 4000 tranny rebuild.

Quick Reply: allison trans conversion