Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ally can be had for 600 bucks on ebay. I would buy that because you're going to be building it with a Suncoast/ATS/whatever kit so it doesnt matter how worn the clutchpacks are. Hard parts in the Allison's "dont" really wear out so if you buy a used one the only potential downside is smoked clutchpacks and steels. Allison dealer can get you stuff for CHEAP. Transmission spin-on filter, 35 bucks at the dealer, 7 freaking dollars at the ally dealer. They also stock all parts (or at least, Atlantic DDA, my local ally dealer had all parts in stock) for the 1000-series too because much to some people's surprise it "is a real allison". TCM is probably 300-400 bucks. You can even buy a 3rd gen TCM used core for 200 bucks, then take it to the Allison dealer and they can program it with the correct software. Mount wouldt be hard, just buy the actual rubber/metal bracket that bolts to the factory crossmember, and then fab up something across the frame rails. Pretty "simple" when you look at the big picture

ben
Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In reading your Signature Gabe, the Allison will live a long time. Below 600 RWHP you are fairly safe indeed.

Above that and you will become intimately familiar with input shaft failures, P2 Drums and planetaries failing.

No way will the stock hardparts survive supposedly 700 RWHP. Not when my 550-650 RWHP duramax ate them for snacks at a high boost launches (25 psi and above).

So without putting too fine a point on it, I on your HP claims and the Allison living.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Got Juice?
In reading your Signature Gabe, the Allison will live a long time. Below 600 RWHP you are fairly safe indeed.

Above that and you will become intimately familiar with input shaft failures, P2 Drums and planetaries failing.

No way will the stock hardparts survive supposedly 700 RWHP. Not when my 550-650 RWHP duramax ate them for snacks at a high boost launches (25 psi and above).

So without putting too fine a point on it, I on your HP claims and the Allison living.
juice you know you sold your dmax cause of three letters. D...nvmind I wont say it. trader!! jk
Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Banned

I have been asking for him to post his dyno#'s for a good week and a half, from before and after his swap, but my questions have gone unanswered. I was from the start, and still am suspicious of his claim to that much power, and to allison holding up any better than 48re, and the total cost. I also asked him to post 1/4 mile time differences(if any), and that has gone unanswered also. Time to come up with all the info requested Gabe32, to add some credibility .
Old 11-14-2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
juice you know you sold your dmax cause of three letters. D...nvmind I wont say it. trader!! jk
DTT parts were not failing ben. Don't cloud the issue. DTT's parts were larger pistons.

Planetaries failing? Inputshafts? Flexplates? Clutch drums?

DTT did not make any of those, and for the record, we did try basically a SC3 with a transgo kit. I killed that trans in 7 months.

And it's spelled Traitor

And I wanted to try something different this time.... so i went Dodge! Ford was not even a consideration
Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by TORQUE
I have been asking for him to post his dyno#'s for a good week and a half, from before and after his swap, but my questions have gone unanswered. I was from the start, and still am suspicious of his claim to that much power, and to allison holding up any better than 48re, and the total cost. I also asked him to post 1/4 mile time differences(if any), and that has gone unanswered also. Time to come up with all the info requested Gabe32, to add some credibility .

Torque, the hardparts are failing in the high HP Allisons. Just making a part bigger than what is in the 47/48's is not enough. Bigger only gets you so far in strength as you know!

Part of being stronger is 'what' your part is made of... one case where size does not matter.
If you use better steel in the drums than what is there, then yes they would be much stronger than what they are currently. Same with the planetaries.

As with all automatic transmissions, it boils down to addressing each newfound weak point in succession in order to make a unit last.

Driving habits also play a part. I know of a 48RE that is holding over 550RWHP with only a transgo and billet shaft, flexplate and a decent TC in it. But I have seen others fail with that same mix of parts and similar HP levels. Some of it boils down to useage, and driver habits. It's just common sense.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Banned

basically juice can blow up anything.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
basically juice can blow up anything.
Yes. Have Juicegrips(TM) will travel!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:58 AM

I chatted with Dave Goerend today on the phone, and asked him which transmission he would pick in a lineup, he said hands down no comparison, the built allison is 10 times better than a built 47. I asked him if he could pick between a 47 with all the billets, and his good stuff in it, and an allison with his TC and good stuff. he said the allison will hold up to more abuse, it will be more reliable, and the planetaries are about twice as big. Im sold on swapping, just gotta go dig up some parts now...

Oh and I saw an SAE 3 bellhousing on ebay for 225, but the auction ended
Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 AM

When you talked to Dave Goerends, did he give an Allison model number he prefers? I have heard good things about the 540 series, and knowing there are several different Allison's, I'm just wondering which one to look for.
And there will be more sae3's on e-bay, there always is.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 AM

he was talking about the 1000 series
Old 11-15-2006, 09:42 AM

Is that the one in the Duramax's?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:11 AM

it sure is. it is widely used in medium duty trucks, not just the chebby. it also uses the duramaxs transfer case if you are putting it in a 4x4
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
I chatted with Dave Goerend today on the phone, and asked him which transmission he would pick in a lineup, he said hands down no comparison, the built allison is 10 times better than a built 47. I asked him if he could pick between a 47 with all the billets, and his good stuff in it, and an allison with his TC and good stuff. he said the allison will hold up to more abuse, it will be more reliable, and the planetaries are about twice as big. Im sold on swapping, just gotta go dig up some parts now...

Oh and I saw an SAE 3 bellhousing on ebay for 225, but the auction ended

Well Lance keep us updated with your mod. As for the planetary comparison Allison's are bigger but only have 4 compared to 5 on the 47 RE or 6 on the 48RE. I haven't scene the planets fail on either one but have scene the splines on the Allison P2 planetary stripped out a couple times. I was unaware that Goerend was building Allisons as it hasn't been mentioned on the Dmax/Allison sites that I read. FWIW I have had my Allison out twice to mod it to handle my less than 600 hp. In May of 05 and May 06 both times there where clutches that had to be replaced.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 PM

He said he builds a triple disk converter and gets the other parts from suncoast

is it easy to change the clutches? do you need any special tools to take the allison apart?

Quick Reply: Allison tranny